TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Gifs!

(in chronological / layout order)

first drop:

"Breaking Wave Turn":

"Outside Banked Top Hat":

"Twist and Shout":

bunny hop over the first drop:

"Quadruple Down":

"Non-Inverting Half Loop":

There aren't many tall launched lift hills like this, are there? I can only think of Hulk and Space Mountain Paris.
^^ Maverick and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe Tornado at Bakken, too, but it isn't that tall.

Wicked, too. I forgot about that one. I think RMC might just be crazy enough to do a Mr. Freeze-style vertical launch on a wooden coaster.

Also, I don't think 45 mph sounds slow at all. A 45 mph launch is going to be much more exciting when you're ascending 200 ft at the same time.

I've never understood why some people believe that wooden coasters need to stick with early 20th-century technology. Many of these "purists" complained about Intamin's "plug-and-play" woodies, too.

I'm in favor of whatever technology provides the best ride possible.

Right? If RMC figured out a way to make a #1 roller coaster out of toothbrushes, old copies of 50 shades of grey, and hubcaps I would be in favor as long as it delivered an insane ride. RMC is really blurring the line between wooden and steel and roller coaster and it's awesome to watch.

Are they really? I don't think they ride anything like a wooden coaster. They feel like a steel coaster to me, with a wooden structure. I have no problems with that -- I think they are the most innovative coaster company in the world right now and are building the best coasters on the planet presently but they are closer to Gemini than Kennywood's Thunderbolt, in my view.

I-Box is definitely steel, but topper track I'd still consider wood. All wooden coasters have steel strips on the top, topper track just has more of it.

fair enough.

Love the gifs - thanks for posting.

(Someone is going to have to resolve this whole twist-n-shout vs. the quadruple down jpg above -- I can't sleep until this is resolved - do we have one or two quadruple drops on this beast?)

Based on the gifs, the picture a few pages back was definitely the quadruple down. The twist and shout is the off-axis airtime hill right before the hill over the first drop. The quadruple down comes right after that I believe.

This has surpassed all my expectations! Its been a while since I've been in awe at a Coaster announcement. I hope to get to DW soon so I can ride LR, along with the other four credits I've yet to land!

Heads up: Tennesse Tornado is one of the smoothest damn Arrows ever built. Honestly, its smoother than some B&Ms Ive ridden.

Oh I know! The last time I was at DW, TT was the only Coaster in the Park. I loved it! I rode it over and over. My only criticism was its short length, but that is ok. Its awesome as is. Now I need to get back to get TH, MM, WE, FCE, and now LR credits!

Yes, the difference from the beginning of the ride to top of the lift will be over 200 feet of elevation, but it will not have a single point of track that is over 200 feet from track to ground level. This is the why the 200-foot barrier was not mentioned in the announcement.

Call me crazy but nothing about this element screams "loop" to me...inverting or non inverting.

[attachment=0]noninverted loop.jpg[/attachment]

To me, a non-inverting loop is what's on Premier's Sky Rocket coasters...Regardless, this ride looks amazing!

I'm with you on this one. The coaster looks amazing, don't get me wrong. It just bugs me slightly that they call it a "non inverting loop." To me it just looks like an up hill turn like you see on many other coasters.

Call me crazy but nothing about this element screams "loop" to me...inverting or non inverting.

To me, a non-inverting loop is what's on Premier's Sky Rocket coasters...Regardless, this ride looks amazing!

I'm with you on this one. The coaster looks amazing, don't get me wrong. It just bugs me slightly that they call it a "non inverting loop." To me it just looks like an up hill turn like you see on many other coasters.

They call it a "non inverting half-loop" and if you look closely you will notice a slight resemblance.

I'm sure you can find Alan Schilke's email somewhere and make a formal complaint. The rest of us will continue to not worry about what the elements are called and enjoy the masterpiece this ride will be.

I never knew until recently (mainly through this topic) that Alan Schilke designed Tennessee Tornado as well. Glad he kept getting work after Arrow went under.

Tennessee Tornado was also one of the only coasters, and from my understanding possibly the only coaster by Arrow to use an updated track design (which is why it's the smoothest Arrow).

As far as Lightning Rod goes, Dollywood now has two top five or two top ten wooden coasters!!!

As far as Lightning Rod goes, Dollywood now has two top five or two top ten wooden coasters!!!

Thunderhead was easily in my top 3 woodies until I rode any RMC creations. It's since been bumped a bit, haha. Not quite out of top 10, but after I get around the the RMCs I'm missing, well, it'll be gone.

I'm sure you can find Alan Schilke's email somewhere and make a formal complaint. The rest of us will continue to not worry about what the elements are called and enjoy the masterpiece this ride will be.

Look at it this way, it took 28 pages of discussion for people to find something to nitpick and complain about. It's the internet. It's gonna happen. No matter how hard you try you can't fix stupid.

It really shows how amazing this ride will be that the only real arguing is which awesome element is what.

This is one of the most positive responses I've seen to a coaster announcement. I really expected more bitching about the lack of inversions.

It really shows how amazing this ride will be that the only real arguing is which awesome element is what.

This is one of the most positive responses I've seen to a coaster announcement. I really expected more bitching about the lack of inversions.

Not that enthusiasts won't always find something to complaint about, but my sense is that enthusiasts seem to care more about intensity, ride layout, and airtime than inversions -- or maybe I am just projecting my feelings? In any event, I often think inversions can detract from a ride (with notable exceptions, like some of the inversions on B&M inverteds, the inline twist thing on Kumba, the snake dive thingey thing on Storm Runner, etc.), and I have rarely wished for fewer airtime hills or dives, and more inversions. That said, RMC inversions are often great, and so it is a nice surprise that no one is complaining about the lack of a stall -- yet.

I think it is a testament to just how original and well-designed this ride looks.

I really can't think of anything that is missing from it, in my view.

I am so glad that they are finally building a major coaster on the front side of the park. I think it will really help with crowd control and the park will feel more balanced. Amazing to see how this park has grown.