TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Waiting for next year for our dollywood visit now seems like it will be worth our wild. Honestly going to hold off from judging until I ride, but Outlaw Run was incredible and this looks as good if not better. Also cinnamon bread, that is all.

Totally unique. Well-designed. Not sure the launch was at all necessary, however.

When I first heard about Lightning Rod being launched I was skeptical, but the way that it utilizes the launch as a lift and basically rockets you into an air time hill that is quickly followed by a second air time hill/main drop is really unique. No second is wasted on this coaster. That drop is probably going to deliver some of the strongest sustained ejector out there, and it will be down an extremely steep drop, intro a valley. The launch might be good for capacity if loading times are quick considering the short ride duration.

Is this RMC's first time working with LIM/LSM? I hope it doesn't become a big source of downtime.

Tough call - slow chain lift to view the amazing view of the Smokies.....or have a quick launch thrust you up and over the top of the hill?

Either way I'm speechless. Can't wait to see how it looks in person next year.

Holy crap this thing looks awesome!!! I Cant wait to get to the park to ride this masterpiece. Also those trains look amazing.

Did anyone notice the headrests added to the trains? I understand they are for the launch but that is new for RMC right?

This....looks....spectacular.

I'm gonna assume that those people who "finally have a need to go to Dollywood" haven't been there before.

Although this coaster looks great - there is ALWAYS a need to go to Dollywood. It truly is a FANTASTIC park and the food is freaking amazing.

Also....who the heck "hates" Dolly?????? Really????

My thoughts exactly, David...I thought that members might be calling for that persons head after that Dolly comment, but I think they were all too busy jizzing themselves over that quadruple down.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out, is how the station, and queue, are going to fit in with what's already there. Given the fact that the Cas Walkers space isn't really large all on it's own, I think there is going to be expansion into other areas. Not being familiar with Dollywood from having actually been there, I'm trying to rely on Google Earth, and Street View, to figure it out. Getting back to the layout Robb posted back on page 128 (WAY back when!), it shows the station, and what appears to be either a queue house or gift shop area in front of that. The latter almost appears to be a recreation of the Cas Walker's building, for this new purpose. But the station would then be sticking out, where the road currently is back there... What I'm wondering, is if there has been any indication that the Pines Theater is getting removed, or at least that the portion of it directly next to where Cas Walker's was is getting annexed for use as the station. From what I could see of the station building in that layout posted previously, it almost appears to be that same building, at least based on the outward look... Thoughts?

That launch seems to be in there for the sake of having a launch has it doesn't really do much.

I'll take my DW hat off. As an enthusiast (250+ coaster count) that is an interesting quote..... a 45 MPH LSM launch up a 200+ foot lift hill? I'd say expediting a lift with a launch that no one has ever done before is self evident.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out, is how the station, and queue, are going to fit in with what's already there. Given the fact that the Cas Walkers space isn't really large all on it's own, I think there is going to be expansion into other areas. Not being familiar with Dollywood from having actually been there, I'm trying to rely on Google Earth, and Street View, to figure it out. Getting back to the layout Robb posted back on page 128 (WAY back when!), it shows the station, and what appears to be either a queue house or gift shop area in front of that. The latter almost appears to be a recreation of the Cas Walker's building, for this new purpose. But the station would then be sticking out, where the road currently is back there... What I'm wondering, is if there has been any indication that the Pines Theater is getting removed, or at least that the portion of it directly next to where Cas Walker's was is getting annexed for use as the station. From what I could see of the station building in that layout posted previously, it almost appears to be that same building, at least based on the outward look... Thoughts?

You are going to love the story line and the finished station. Y'all will love the queue and the pre-ride experience. We will release some assets soon, but you'll have to be patient for a while.

That launch seems to be in there for the sake of having a launch has it doesn't really do much.

I'll take my DW hat off. As an enthusiast (250+ coaster count) that is an interesting quote..... a 45 MPH LSM launch up a 200+ foot lift hill? I'd say expediting a lift with a launch that no one has ever done before is self evident.

Agreed. I don't think many people on this planet share his opinion.

Edited by ernierocker

This. Looks. Amazing.

lightning_rod_twist_and_shout.jpg

OMG! That looks so freaking awesome and kind of scary....lol. This amazing picture makes me wonder if anyone knows the height difference from the top of the quadruple down to the bottom, as it looks rather substantial in this picture and if I am understanding correctly, it comes at the end of the ride. That makes for one hell of a finale.

That is mid-track, Alan calls that the "Twist and Shout" the Quadruple Down is further down the ride. There is an airtime hill before that and then a non-inversion half loop.