TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm actually glad it doesn't have inversions. They were fun when I was younger, but many years and a few hundred coasters later, I'm well over them. I can't get enough of the overbanked turns though. RMC and DW were very smart with all their choices on this one.

I'm actually glad it doesn't have inversions. They were fun when I was younger, but many years and a few hundred coasters later, I'm well over them. I can't get enough of the overbanked turns though. RMC and DW were very smart with all their choices on this one.

Yeah I mean look at the New Texas Giant! I think of them RMC's with no Inversions, I'm not saying everyone of them, I'm just saying some!

That quadruple down reminds me of watching Olympic downhill skiing. Wonder if that was an inspiration.

It's one of the most "holy crap" moments I've ever seen.

Agreed, there are so many great elements on this coaster that it doesn't need any inversions. Love that RMC keeps pushing the envelope with their designs, that quadruple down just looks insane! I'm definitely going to take a trip to the South next year to check out Lightning Rod and Storm Chaser.

^ I'm gonna guess twice here and go with...something that will be a perfect fit for Dollywood as well as something that will kick A$$.

Hey I was right...ding ding!

But seriously though...wow. And I mean WOW!

This thing looks like Boulder Dash and Outlaw Run had a baby!

Yaaaaaaassssss Dollywood!!! 030

The layout is absolutely amazing... AIRTIME looks wow... Themeing is original and cool... Train is cool... 10 /10 layout!

Though I'm disappointed there are no inversions, it is PERFECT for the park and terrain! If I went to Tennessee to visit my friend (who just moved), this is a must do for me!!!

Inspired by Dolly's "curves" as usual xD

You're 14 how do you know about "curves". When I was 14, the only curves I was worried about was on my cursive writing.

I had the exact same thought! (But there's no doubt I was a late bloomer, so...)

I too, think it fits the theme, and the terrain better, without the inversions. As much as I am looking forward to riding an RMC with inversions, only 2 of my Top 10 coasters (Maverick, Kraken) have inversions. I'm definitely suspecting that this coaster will be in that Top 10 next year, only adding to the number in it that don't!

Yaaaaaaassssss Dollywood!!! 030

The layout is absolutely amazing... AIRTIME looks wow... Themeing is original and cool... Train is cool... 10 /10 layout!

Though I'm disappointed there are no inversions, it is PERFECT for the park and terrain! If I went to Tennessee to visit my friend (who just moved), this is a must do for me!!!

Inspired by Dolly's "curves" as usual xD

A lot of people are afraid of inversions and between Tennessee Tornado, Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle they more than have you covered. The only high thrill non inverting coaster they have is Thunderhead and they probably wanted another large coaster without inversions which is totally understandable. Personally though I prefer this, instead of inversions it's just relentless airtime which is way better.

I'm surprised nobody has commented about the lift being over 200ft tall. New era of the hyper woodie? Great job, Dollywood, and I'm hoping to make the trip there next year to ride that beast and experience that crazy quadruple down!

No one, including the park, is classifying this as a hyper. It never actually makes it 200' off the ground, so...

I'm surprised nobody has commented about the lift being over 200ft tall. New era of the hyper woodie? Great job, Dollywood, and I'm hoping to make the trip there next year to ride that beast and experience that crazy quadruple down!

No one, including the park, is classifying this as a hyper. It never actually makes it 200' off the ground, so...

Neither does Apollo's Chariot, yet it is usually referred to as a hyper. Should mention that Wildfire at Kolmarden won't reach over 160 off the ground, yet its still gonna get the height record for having a bottom-to-top lift of about 187 ft. Given that they referred to the lift as "over 20 stories tall", I fully believe that, from bottom to top, the lift is well over 200'.

Neither does Apollo's Chariot, yet it is usually referred to as a hyper. Should mention that Wildfire at Kolmarden won't reach over 160 off the ground, yet its still gonna get the height record for having a bottom-to-top lift of about 187 ft. Given that they referred to the lift as "over 20 stories tall", I fully believe that, from bottom to top, the lift is well over 200'.

Apollo has a 210' drop though...

Also, Lightning Rod was specifically mentioned to break two records, first launched wooden coaster and speed. If the height record was legit they would of gladly used it for marketing. Truth be told, the 200' figure comes from the difference in height between station and crest of the tallest hill, ignoring any clearance between the track and ground below. So in a sense, the coaster makes a 200' climb, as opposed to being 200' tall. The same can be said for Wild Eagle, which makes a 210' climb but never achieves the 210' clearance. Hence why it was never billed as the tallest wing coaster, and GateKeeper at 170' , is billed the tallest.

This is nothing more than grasping at straws regardless of our opinions. If it is the tallest it would have been made clear with the press release.

I've had Dollywood on my to do list for years. I think this just made it a priority for 2016! I'm putting money on this breaking my new top 5 list next year, and maybe even taking Maverick out of my number 1 spot!

I'm definitely anticipating an incursion into my Top 5 (or 1) as well! Of course, with Goliath coming before then (in less than two weeks), and Storm Chaser a few days later next year, I may have 3 new members in my Top 5, potentially!

WOW - this is exactly what I was hoping for! Low to the ground, terrain-based, airtime monster, with a couple big drops. I love how it uses the elevation changes and once the growth comes back a bit on the hills, it will be an amazing ride through those trees, especially at night.

Totally unique. Well-designed. Not sure the launch was at all necessary, however.

This is a PERFECT addition - and I almost never say that.

Money well-spent. I will certainly be making my first visit to Dollywood.

Totally unique. Well-designed. Not sure the launch was at all necessary, however.

When I first heard about Lightning Rod being launched I was skeptical, but the way that it utilizes the launch as a lift and basically rockets you into an air time hill that is quickly followed by a second air time hill/main drop is really unique. No second is wasted on this coaster. That drop is probably going to deliver some of the strongest sustained ejector out there, and it will be down an extremely steep drop, intro a valley. The launch might be good for capacity if loading times are quick considering the short ride duration.

Is this RMC's first time working with LIM/LSM? I hope it doesn't become a big source of downtime.