TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Does anyone have any idea which area of the park these announcements are usually made? I was thinking over near where the new ride is being built maybe?

I will there on Friday and had intended on trying to go to the announcement and possibly catch a glance of Dolly, but the closer it gets I'm starting to consider avoiding it all together and just watching it on youtube. I'm kinda realizing we chose an iffy time to go because I hear it's crazy when Dolly is in town, though her concerts aren't until Saturday and Sunday and we're not doing DW those days. It's also tax free weekend in TN, so hopefully that doesn't make the crowds any worse.

Anyone else going Friday?

Does anyone have any idea which area of the park these announcements are usually made? I was thinking over near where the new ride is being built maybe?

I will there on Friday and had intended on trying to go to the announcement and possibly catch a glance of Dolly, but the closer it gets I'm starting to consider avoiding it all together and just watching it on youtube. I'm kinda realizing we chose an iffy time to go because I hear it's crazy when Dolly is in town, though her concerts aren't until Saturday and Sunday and we're not doing DW those days. It's also tax free weekend in TN, so hopefully that doesn't make the crowds any worse.

Anyone else going Friday?

Her announcements are usually in DP's Celebrity Theatre. Media/VIP guests enter first and take up the front sections of the theatre but if you stick around the "general public" is usually able to access the theatre and take the extra seats. Usually there are several remaining seats open for the public after Media/VIP stake their spots.

Went to the park yesterday and checked out the site. That hill is WAY up there! This is one case where I honestly cannot tell where the ride is going to go, BUT I'll go ahead and make my final guess. I heard a podcast the other day with Alan Schilke (can be found here), in which he was talking about working on a new lift system that would basically "launch" the train to the top of the hill very fast, sort of like Maverick or Skyrush, but probably even faster. I would LOVE to see that applied to Shot Rod. Imagine being launched up a steepish incline and up into a massive airtime hill that drops down the other side of the hill and through the rest of the course!

So I'm gonna call it now: a giant RMC terrain twister that breaks the record for fastest wooden coaster AND includes a launched lift hill, which would also make it the world's first launching wood coaster. I also hope that the ride is at least in the 5500 to 6000 foot range in length. We will see.

Can someone bring me up to speed on something?

I'm looking at the google maps satellite pic and I see that huge clearing by Thunderhead... But we're talking about the clearing that's not on google maps that's near the river rampage, correct? If so, what's the Thunderhead clearing?

Can someone bring me up to speed on something?

I'm looking at the google maps satellite pic and I see that huge clearing by Thunderhead... But we're talking about the clearing that's not on google maps that's near the river rampage, correct? If so, what's the Thunderhead clearing?

That must be an old image, they built the new parking lot there.

So I'm gonna call it now: a giant RMC terrain twister that breaks the record for fastest wooden coaster AND includes a launched lift hill, which would also make it the world's first launching wood coaster. I also hope that the ride is at least in the 5500 to 6000 foot range in length. We will see.

If this is the case, I AM HERE FOR IT! I wasn't feeling the idea of a strict launch, but a LSM style lift into an airtime hill would be the best thing ever

are there any other parks that will have more than one alan schilke engineered coasters? he designed Tennessee Tornado when he worked with Arrow.

SFFT has Road Runner Express and Iron Rattler.

Didn't Alan also help S&S design Batman?

Probably. He did help design X2 at SFMM and the 4D coaster stuff went from Arrow to S&S, so to some extent.

Speaking of which, SFMM has TC and X2, both Schilke stuff.

i just watched a whole bunch of videos on youtube of interviews with alan schilke. he definitively emphasises that he wants to make every new ride that he builds better than the one before. i think Dollywood's new RMC has the possibility to be the greatest roller coaster ever constructed.

With the excitement building up for Friday between us, and the rest of the coaster community. I wonder how much of the general public really knows at all much of what's going on? I this is the most quiet Dollywood has been with an attraction coaster wise. The whole world was practically hyped for Mystery Mine since the teaser videos were being released. It's kind of like Dollywood has tried to be as quiet as they can be with this project.

Went to the park yesterday and checked out the site. That hill is WAY up there! This is one case where I honestly cannot tell where the ride is going to go, BUT I'll go ahead and make my final guess. I heard a podcast the other day with Alan Schilke (can be found here), in which he was talking about working on a new lift system that would basically "launch" the train to the top of the hill very fast, sort of like Maverick or Skyrush, but probably even faster. I would LOVE to see that applied to Shot Rod. Imagine being launched up a steepish incline and up into a massive airtime hill that drops down the other side of the hill and through the rest of the course!

I'm imagining an inclined launch or a brutally fast accelerated launch due to the little space they have near the station.

^Agreed. You only spend money when you know you can make money. Dollywood is investing a lot of capital lately, I can tell they're pushing for expansion/higher attendance/ more money.

Edited by JonnyRCT3