TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Realistically Dollywood has probably realized that with the increased amount of shootings going on and especially with one happening in Tennessee yesterday that a simple tweak to the name will save them from a bunch of bad publicity.

The trademark of lightning rod was dated the 13th, so I'm sure yesterdays shooting had nothing to do with it. However, your comment is very logical.

I'm hoping that some of the 20 million plus budget goes into a bit of overall refurbishment of the 50's area, it looks a little worn down. Maybe also adding a small flat ride, like a traditional tilt-a-whirl would be great for that area. Throw a 50's theme on it and you got a nice little family ride to help spruce up that section of the park.

I don't think we have to worry about the 20 million budget going towards refurbishment of the area.. Dollywood has been restoring lots of their park with the 300 million 10 year budget they have placed aside.. I'm sure they will restore the area some but not out of the coaster budget

I would say all 20+ million is for the coaster construction (getting land ready, station, materials)

I would be perfectly happy with the name Lightning Rod. "Shot Rod" is more clever while "Lightning Rod" just has a nice classic sound, while still being somewhat original.

Not really liking Lightning Rod. I mean, you do know what a Lightning Rod is, right?

I agree I don't think of a coaster when I hear it.. Much less than I did with shot Rod..

My personal opinion anyways

I would be perfectly happy with the name Lightning Rod. "Shot Rod" is more clever while "Lightning Rod" just has a nice classic sound, while still being somewhat original.

Not really liking Lightning Rod. I mean, you do know what a Lightning Rod is, right?

I'm sure Laura knows what a Lightning Rod is? I think she is making reference to the word Lightning (Lightnin') being used previously in coaster names.

While on Thunderheads lift, I seen some huge looking blue crates on the hill in the back. Not for sure what they were, just saying.

I saw those a couple weeks ago too. I am thinking they may have something to do with the nightly fireworks since that is the area they shoot them from.

I'm sure Laura knows what a Lightning Rod is? I think she is making reference to the word Lightning (Lightnin') being used previously in coaster names.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude or pejorative. I was just trying to point out the double entendre of the name. That being said, I much prefer "Shot Rod".

I am starting to plan my yearly trip to Dollywood this November. I am deciding to splurge and stay at one of the cabins through Dollywood. I was wondering if anybody has stayed at one before, and if so any tips on which cabin to choose? Are there any cabins that give a good view of the park and/or the mountains? It will be for 4-6 people but a bigger one wouldn't be a problem . Thanks for any help!

Edited by Devins3

I like the name 'Lightning Rod". I just think it sounds appropriate for a Dollywood attraction. Not crazy about the name "Shot Rod"...whenever I tell people about it, I have to explain the play on words and the theme of that area of the park. Whatever the name is, I'm sure it will be an excellent coaster that lives up to Dollywood's always high standards. This is truly a GREAT park!!!! Can't wait for the announcement.

Back at the cabin and as far as shot Rod goes, the top of the hill has footers all over it. A woman even said "Being you're taking pictures of that mountain, what are all those white things up there?". When I say all over, I mean all over it. The hill is starting to take more of a shape now really. Oh and also, what I am guessing is windows is starting to take shape in the new building/station. As I observed the area in reality, I noticed that the majority of the coaster will have to be on the hill or a launch/terrian. Down around the area where the station lies there isn't much of an area for the coaster. I'll just post the pictures to explain it being I'm half asleep. Also I checked out the wood that's wrapped up, more has arrived.

image.thumb.jpg.8ec9363fdc2c6fb93c09852e2876a6f2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.20eb7f4705375a9d6aacd569a268d839.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c496204df7a90d19f123ff1262074319.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.20a075c22a54fd7ab7672982ba493a1c.jpg

Thanks for the photos!

We've been referring to that building as the station for a long time now since we've never been sure what it is, but it's definitely looking more and more like a gift shop exit. I'm still holding out hope that they are going to rebuild some semblance of Cas Walker's for it. They cut the columns though... yet they are just leaving them there instead of removing them... not sure what to make of that.

Anyone else think the footers seem surprisingly high off the ground?

I don't think those footers have actually been placed yet. They are prefabricated and are being stored up there for the time being it seems.

^^^ If Dollywood plays it's cards right, it could turn this into a "mystery coaster," like

Phantasialand is doing with it's new coaster. No layout revealed, track covered, parts

of the theming kept under wraps.

That would be cool for DW to pull off. If they could do it.

^^^ If Dollywood plays it's cards right, it could turn this into a "mystery coaster," like

Phantasialand is doing with it's new coaster. No layout revealed, track covered, parts

of the theming kept under wraps.

That would be cool for DW to pull off. If they could do it.

Seems a bit harder to bubble-wrap a wooden coaster (honestly, its like trying to put makeup on Betty White), but I agree, it would be cool.

just got home from dollywood, while there, i was riding the shooting star with my son and when we were at the top i noticed that there is a large section of construction back behind the county fair area. i haven't heard anyone mention that yet, didn't have my phone on me to take photos, but it's a pretty good sized area, and quite high up. there was a back-hoe sitting up there, and it is the same hill as all the other work is being done on. the thing that makes me happy is that this area "as far as i can tell" is quite a piece of distance from the main construction site. i believe the "rod" coaster is gonna be pretty huge in length. "we can only hope and speculate". a couple of weeks and all will be revealed, " so they say ".