TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I don't understand, shot rod is a much better name than lightning rod. The name isn't even that bad, people only seemed to bring up how it resembles a penis a few pages ago. I didn't even think about it until then. I really don't think anyone would notice, it's not obvious or suggestive at all. Lightning rod isn't much better either.

Maybe since it's costing 20+ million it is actually the racing RMC people speculated about and one side is called 'Shot Rod' and the other is 'Lightning Rod'. I'm not saying I believe that's what is coming, but simply just throwing the idea out there.

Did we ever hear the final cost for Twisted Colossus?

Maybe since it's costing 20+ million it is actually the racing RMC people speculated about and one side is called 'Shot Rod' and the other is 'Lightning Rod'. I'm not saying I believe that's what is coming, but simply just throwing the idea out there.

Did we ever hear the final cost for Twisted Colossus?

I don't think that it was released, but you have to remember that is was an existing structure. The park saved a lot of money by reusing most of the original Colossus structure.

Hmmmm still has a sly correlation to being moonshine themed especially if going with the long-thought assumption that it'll be tied/themed with the infamous White Lightnin' trail the bootleggers used that ended in Knox county (the county on the license plate in the original teaser animation).

"Shot" may have come across too "drink" oriented while Lightning has more of a "heritage/historical" persona...would also be easier to market and create products (t-shirts, hats, mugs, etc) for like they did with Wild Eagle.

Possible started with their "Fast as Lightning" sign on the fence around the area last month.

Makes more sense in quite a few ways.

Just looking at it from a marketing perspective.

Nice find!

^Same.

This won't be a racing or dueling coaster, the name Lightning Rod won't get used, sorry folks.

There is nothing wrong with people speculating about what the ride will end up being. They know just about as much about this ride as you do after all.

Edited by ernierocker

This won't be a racing or dueling coaster, the name Lightning Rod won't get used, sorry folks.

Why would the register it? I don't think people like wasting time...

Taking a look at their filings, I don't see any that were never used...

Or Money...looks like $225 fee was paid by the DW Co. And im sure the leg work to apply costs $$ for the lawyers, etc.

I think chickenbowl confuses facts with opinions.

Whatever you say. I just meant the coaster won't be called Lightning Rod, they may use the name elsewhere, but the coaster is just Shot Rod. Some might say it's just my opinion, but I think it's more of an educated guess. I say it like fact because I'm very confident.

That is like saying Roar won't be RMCed.

And even though I am not for RMC Roar, I still acknowledge it will happen based on solid process of elimination.

Edited by RollerManic

I believe it was not a genitalia thing, but the "Shot". I know it doesn't sound bad, but someone could possibly compare it to guns. I think Dollywood is just trying to prevent future controversy that could come out of it.
Realistically Dollywood has probably realized that with the increased amount of shootings going on and especially with one happening in Tennessee yesterday that a simple tweak to the name will save them from a bunch of bad publicity.

Are you guys being serious right now? Have you been spending too much time on Tumblr. This is Tennessee, virtually everyone that visits the park has no problem with guns. Even if they did, I can't imagine a world where people couldn't even use the word "shot" in a name because it might allude to guns. Shot Rod = play on Hot Rod. It's a good name.

Hummm...The other isn't suspended and the new one says specifically for a roller coaster. At this point, anything is possible. It may be just one coaster...it may be two coasters. 20 million is a lot of money for wood...