TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

So...do the wheels determine if its a true wooden coaster or what? The topper track is like the I-beam from the pictures but stacked on wood with the metal running strip?

Well, there's no official definition for a wood coaster, but with steel wheels, it's more likely to be considered wooden. However, Goliath is still considered wood and it runs with non steel wheels. Yes, topper track is the IBox track essentially, but it has the bottom part wooden instead of the steel IBox configuration. The steel running plate is about the thickness of two wooden boards, and is placed on top of about seven wooden boards.

I thought the definition of "wooden coaster" was laminated wooden track with flat steel running rails on top.

In regards to the wooden coaster with inversions talk, I really can't stand them. Inversions can be found on so many coasters, and the joy of riding wooden and hyper coasters is from experiencing a different type of force altogether. There's a time and place for inversions and nearly every park out there with any type of lineup has at least 4-5 coasters whose sole purpose is to give you a variety of inversions. Some have approaching ten. Let's please God save some coasters to give us something different.

I agree with you how inversions can be overused, but on RMC coasters they really feel like hey belong there and are not gimmicky or feel like they shouldn't be there. I don't know if you've been on an RMC before, but what they are doing with a wooden track is incredible - the inversions feel natural, and the ride isn't centered around upside down moments either. There is also plenty of airtime and some wicked sideways wave turns as well as banked turns.

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

With a $20m pricetag, could we be looking at multiple launches? I'm thinking something like the launches on Cheetah Hunt at BGT.

First off, welcome to the forums!!! I do think that it may be possible to have multiple launches with the budget (that would be really cool!), but the park may use a chain lift and a launch combo instead of two launches. There's actually no way of knowing what combo of systems they are going to use to get the coaster going, but I could see either happening right now. But yes, IMO, I think it would be possible depending on how much the launches would cost and how much more they would cost than a traditional lift.

I honestly cannot see any RMC topper track in that photo, and why would the park keep RMC track lying around there in a common location for all of us to see - they would want to keep it a secret, right? Could someone please point it out to me if they think they see it?

^Sorry to bother you, but could you fix your editing please? I think you meant to say: "I thought the definition of "wooden coaster" was laminated wooden track with flat steel running rails on top." in response to me instead of quoting that for me, which I didn't say, and quoting my entire post..

Thanks.

I just hope this ones turns out to have steel wheels...

They will run whatever wheels work best. El Toro runs poly wheels, don't worry about what wheels it will run.

Agreed. While the steel wheels may make it feel slightly more "wooden", the difference while riding isn't huge. I don't really think it will make a difference in the ride experience at all, so don't get too hung up on it.

(and generally family-oriented while still being thrilling).

I am not sure RMC has a "family-oriented" coaster in them. If Dollywood wanted a ride that fit that description, they would of gone with another company. Dollywood is building their version of Outlaw Run here and RMC will likely take things to whole new level with Shot Rod.

I understand what you're saying, but let's just wait for the announcement before claiming I'm wrong! I still stand strong that there won't be any inversions and this will be aimed more on the family side than other RMCs, including Outlaw Run. I know that sounds disappointing to you guys, but it'll still probably be top 5 wood in the world! Shit Rid will be more geared towards families than Wild Eagle was.

They will run whatever wheels work best. El Toro runs poly wheels, don't worry about what wheels it will run.

Geesh...can I atleast be hopeful with out feeling like I'm getting my throat jumped down???

Geesh...can I atleast be hopeful with out feeling like I'm getting my throat jumped down???

Haters be haten' man. Don't give them the the satisfaction of letting them know they upset you. Speak your opinion! And stand strong behind it.

Haters be haten' man. Don't give them the the satisfaction of letting them know they upset you. Speak your opinion! And stand strong behind it.

I don't know if those comments are specifically directed towards me, but I apologize if there was any confusion in what I was trying to say. I was not trying to be a "hater" and change your opinion, I was merely just saying that the park will probably choose whatever wheel is more practical. I too would like to see steel wheels, for a more wooden coaster feel, but alas, the ride will still be awesome even if it runs with poly of nylon wheels. If Dollywood does use topper track, they do have that choice to use a steel wheel, and they did that with Outlaw Run, so they may continue that with Shot Rod. Fingers crossed.

I don't know if those comments are specifically directed towards me, but I apologize if there was any confusion in what I was trying to say. I was not trying to be a "hater" and change your opinion, I was merely just saying that the park will probably choose whatever wheel is more practical. I too would like to see steel wheels, for a more wooden coaster feel, but alas, the ride will still be awesome even if it runs with poly of nylon wheels. If Dollywood does use topper track, they do have that choice to use a steel wheel, and they did that with Outlaw Run, so they may continue that with Shot Rod. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I didn't detect any "hating" going on here, either. No need for anyone to stir the pot any further.

How can glouthan Think the comment was towards him? He wasn't even quoted in the comment...

I'm excited to see whatever that building is take shape. is it me or is it too close to the other building to be a station?

How can glouthan Think the comment was towards him? He wasn't even quoted in the comment...

I'm excited to see whatever that building is take shape. is it me or is it too close to the other building to be a station?

It was about the other comment about being a hater, but let's drop this and get back to Dollywood. As for that building, I would definitely see it as a station. It is a bit close, but I think that has to be the station, because what else would it be, and if it wasn't the station where would the actual station go? Also, weren't there some rumors of having the employee building removed? Since they don't have too much room there, I would expect the thing that is being built right now to be the station, but we'll have to see.

It was about the other comment about being a hater, but let's drop this and get back to Dollywood. As for that building, I would definitely see it as a station. It is a bit close, but I think that has to be the station, because what else would it be, and if it wasn't the station where would the actual station go? Also, weren't there some rumors of having the employee building removed? Since they don't have too much room there, I would expect the thing that is being built right now to be the station, but we'll have to see.

Alright, enough, settle it elsewhere. Back to the coaster...

Alright, enough, settle it elsewhere. Back to the coaster...

We weren't back to the coaster already?

Anyway, I am seriously clueless on what they're going to do with a 22 million dollar RMC. That is a lot of money, much more than Outlaw Run which proved to be incredible. With that kind of budget it could easily top it. If it does, then I'd better get down to Tennessee!

^ A lot of that 22 million will probably be tied up in the launch mechanism (assuming LSM). Just looking at the site, if they put the station at the bottom of that hill, not only will the ride need a lot of juice to get over that hill the first time (assuming that's where the ride is going to travel), it'll probably need the same amount to go over it a second time. That means the ride will probably end with fair amount of steam. I fall in the camp that believes this ride will either have a lift and launch, or it will have two launches.

Thunderbird with a launch was 3,000ish feet with a launch for $22 million

Wild Eagle was 3,100ish feet without a launch for $20 million

Outlaw run was 3,000ish feet for $10 millions dollars

So taking that into consideration $22 million dollars should buy Dollywood an awesome coaster from RMC that I'm sure will be long enough to be a great ride.

That Veggietales thing was a real stinker.....

If this launched RMC thing is a real winner which I'm sure it will be, will Dollywood have one of the best coaster collections in the country? I mean that will be 7 really solid coasters that are all kind of unique and different and appeal to just about every type of customer that there is. I can't really think of a park with a better collection ride for ride except maybe Busch Gardens Tampa?

Although possible (but not probable) what if they innovated the train cars somewhat like Disney did with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train where those cars individually roll...since this is likely going to be themed around hot rods and mountain roads, what if they made the cars individually yaw to simulate drifting on old dirt roads??? Growing up in the Smokies, we did this all the time on country backroads...would be fun to do it on a coaster. They could "lock" the cars on hills and the let them yaw (drift) through curves.

Just dreamin'