TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I wonder what color the I-box or topper track will be.....I want a darkish blue

Same. Or maybe a red (I know it's overused), but it would go great with the theme of the section Dollywood is putting this coaster in.

doesn't really matter to me what track is used. i just hope a lift hill is involved and not just launching elements. the anticipation on the lift is one of favorite parts of a coaster.

I totally agree! Kind of like that video I posted a few pages back, a launch and a lift would be nice to have. I may be wrong on this, but I think there definitely would need to be some sort of second propulsion element to actually have the coaster go through the track at a decent speed. I haven't seen the site first hand and don't know exactly how large the site is, but if the track goes through the entire site and follows the terrain, it seems like it would need something to boost the speed part way through the course.

i think that with wild eagle's track already being dark blue, the would better off with a 50's style lite blue, or maybe even classic hot rod yellow.

i think that with wild eagle's track already being dark blue, the would better off with a 50's style lite blue, or maybe even classic hot rod yellow.

I didn't really consider that, that's a good point

1797476703_flat1000x1000075f.thumb.jpg.978890a168fe0e87b66ab8de310940d7.jpg

Maybe this color blue instead?

However, maybe they could get around that by only using IBox for the launch section and have it be topper track for the rest of the ride.

Hmm, I wonder how they could fit that into a ride theme...

Edited by ernierocker

My question, if they were to use two types of track...the wheels on the train. It was my understanding the Ibox uses wheels with a poly-coating. The topper track uses steel wheels, right? I'm not sure how that would work...unless they went with poly wheels. When ASE said "hybrid" - I was thinking maybe a chain-lift and launch hybrid.

My question, if they were to use two types of track...the wheels on the train. It was my understanding the Ibox uses wheels with a poly-coating. The topper track uses steel wheels, right? I'm not sure how that would work...unless they went with poly wheels. When ASE said "hybrid" - I was thinking maybe a chain-lift and launch hybrid.

I would think they would go with straight poly wheels. Goliath at SFGAM runs with Poly I believe, the only thing they would have to watch out for is the speed loss, like on Goliath.

I'll say this....everyone I have talked to that is close to the project is all smiles and excited about it. And pretty much every employee wants to work on it when it opens. My family has been in Pigeon Forge since before the opening of Rebel Railroad and I haven't seen this much excitement around an attraction opening yet in that park...I also haven't seen as much secrecy from employees either.

I'm not trying to overhype it...just relaying the excitement I've seen.

I would think they would go with straight poly wheels. Goliath at SFGAM runs with Poly I believe, the only thing they would have to watch out for is the speed loss, like on Goliath.

That is true about Goliath...ok nevermind,

595928696_goliathatsfga.thumb.jpg.cbb38e017407e690d33a5b43ded9e8bb.jpg

I know everyone is speculating about the new attraction at Dollywood, but I have a couple of questions (as did a previous poster) about the park! I will be passing through TN next week and plan on stopping by the park on Thursday July 16. I will arrive when the park opens. Any guidance as far as rides to hit first before the lines get too long? Also, what should I expect as far as crowds that day. Finally, is the Timesaver line management worth the $25? Thanks in advance!

^My advice - when you enter the park, go left up to Wilderness Pass and do Firechaser First. Bypass Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, River Battle and go to FCE. It has a fairly low PPH, so it can get to be a long wait. I would make that a priority over the other things. Barnstormer (S&S swing ride) can be a long wait as well as they usually run one side only unless its real busy. Don't forget to do Slidewinder, which is behind Barnstormer. Its entrance is sort of hidden and the ride is pretty much entirely hidden, so be sure not to miss it if you're planning on doing water rides.

It's almost impossible to predict crowds and crowd sizes. Even if the parking lot is full, many of the guests are there for the shows or something else other than rides, so it makes it difficult to gauge until you're in the park and in the queues. If there's a big event going on in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc, that can affect crowds as well. I've gone on Saturdays expecting big crowds and there are none. I've gone during the week and experienced big crowds...it's almost impossible to know.

Best advice about Timesaver - do one lap around the park and if the lines are long, go get one. Water rides will probably have a long line.

Yes, that is correct, the IBox can only run poly wheels (or whaterver other non metal material they use )

As for the speed, I think they are definitely going to need a flying launch in there because Goliath at Great America pretty much has no speed left when it goes into the brakes. For a twenty million dollar coaster, I would expect longer track even than Goliath, so that means there could be a lift and launch combo to actually make sure the train gets through the course.

Another thought of mine is that they could only possibly do a flying launch and not a straight up 0-top speed in however many seconds. The reason that pops up in my mind why they couldn't so that is the trains that they use. The current RMC design has no sort of headrest, and if the launch is going to accelerate pretty fast from a standstill, I would imagine it could give riders some sort of whiplash. The flying launch would still work because it would be a gentler acceleration, because the train was already moving, and is just being sped up.

I guess that could get around that issue by redesigning some trains, but they might not want to go back to the drawing board and do that.

IMG_1806.JPG.12ff67004cb0b60beb4c96d75ee7fed5.JPG

No headrests...