TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I would have to guess an RMC for 2016. IF the coaster lineups from SDC and Dollywood are to follow and what they put in, i would have to say an RMC. Due to the success of OR at SDC, and at other Six Flags parks as well. We will see though. Would be awesome to see a launched RMC coaster though..

Dollywood has received the new DreamMore guest trolleys! They are much better than expected. Very bright and vibrant colors and all wood inside! Great addition!

image.thumb.jpg.48f77d7e69234d2f0ed9f99c086d32df.jpg

Front of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.91ae6c236361002cf4a2f97a0eac909f.jpg

Left side (drivers side) of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.60adc04fb841b9a4d2d488be33b41915.jpg

Left side (drivers side) of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.c67ea61ebf6452454d3028d2e18c86d4.jpg

Ride side (loading side) of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.e81b33e6b69397fe0d75fec6bfdee9c7.jpg

Right side (loading side) of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.ccc668091d3c7cf336a93fd85d1d439b.jpg

Rear of trolley

image.thumb.jpg.4b63e79c027a038aacc6f5543288c510.jpg

Full side view

image.thumb.jpg.d41fdfd92fde4fc633980604aa5fe12b.jpg

Inside trolley front view

image.thumb.jpg.2f37a1eead88b3e27cc94c38e0b39616.jpg

Inside trolley loading view

image.thumb.jpg.cb68f563e3a3a0e862697fda4cef33bd.jpg

Inside trolley drivers side view

On a sidenote, the explosive growth in new businesses in Pigeon Forge has created an employee problem in a town that only has 6,000 residents. I've heard "rumors" that Dollywood is having issues finding enough workers to kee all rides/shops/restaurants/etc open each day and is the reason that *some* things are closed lately. For example, I'm here today and the Grandstand Cafe in Country Fair is closed, but was open last weekend.

The employee issue is affecting numerous businesses such as Paula Deen's that needed about 150 people...Harpoon Harry's needed over 100 people...etc. This is also why you see an influx of foreigners such as Ukranians and Jamaicans working in town the last few years. Not sure how Sevier County is going to fix the issue as most jobs are very low pay and the cost of living can be high (for example, eating out is more expensive in this town than others),but it has to balance out or else businesses will suffer...DreamMore resort is struggling to fill their employee base before they open in a couple months.

Anyway, wanted to provide a possible reason some things have been closed at Dollywood lately. Just food for thought.

Dollywood is running promos about hiring like crazy on the radio.. They just don't pay enough plus no health insurance.. Yes they have a free clinic for all employees but does that count when it comes tax time not to be fined?

Honestly I don't know but could be another issue.. I applied for a full time job there and was told that instead of insurance I got a free clinic.. No thank you haha

Dollywood is running promos about hiring like crazy on the radio. They just don't pay enough plus no health insurance.. Yes they have a free clinic for all employees but does that count when it comes tax time not to be fined?

This is a huge issue that all businesses are facing. Without enough high school/college/retiree employees, Dollywood will be forced to eventually offer health insurance to more employees (because they can't scale back after all recent investments). Costs will eventually be passed on the customers and everyone will have to deal with it.

I was thinking the manufacturer wouldn't be RMC because I tend to think of Outlaw Run and wooden coasters when I think of them. After researching RMC some I see they do manufacture metal coasters also right? Wicked Cyclone for one. I just think with a car theme it will be a steel coaster and now that I realize RMC does steel coasters too maybe that makes sense that they could be the manufacturer. It does make me wonder about Mack though since Dollywood reps made a trip overseas to look at Blue Fire. I love the POV of Blue Fire and love the "dark ride" part of a coaster when they have one. I have been hoping it will be similar to Blue Fire whether its RMC or Mack.

RMC's steel coasters are the reimagining of old wooden coasters. To this point there have been no ground up designs of RMC steel coasters, though that doesn't mean there couldn't be. On that point, however, it seems there is almost no difference in design in terms of limitations between their wood and I-box (steel) coasters, so it really just depends on what the park is looking for.

On a video that was shown yesterday on my local news, one of the reporters tried to get some info on the 2016 coaster and the only thing that they would tell him for right now is it is going to be a record breaking coaster and something to sure see. So we have bigger than Wild Eagle, Hot Rod theme, and a record breaker.

Today was the conclusion of Dollywood's annual Thrills in the Hills enthusiasts event. Pete Owens held a Q & A session in which he personally confirmed that Rockin Roadway will NOT be going away next season. It was stated that the park has been investing too much money into it lately, keeping it maintained and running, to be removing it. It appears Dollywood wants to keep a family attraction in Jukebox Junction to accompany the upcoming 2016 addition. It was also stated that ALL will be revealed when the new ride's official announcement takes place on August 7th, in about two and a half months from now!!!

*Please note, not saying this was going to Dollywood or not**

But I saw purplish blue steel roller coaster track at a weight station right outside of Knoxville today on a truck.. just caught it right as I passed so I couldn't snap a photo.. I turned around at the next exit but never caught up to it..

Sad news is, it was actually headed west bound which is away from Dollywood.. (At the west bound weigh station I mean)

Just reporting what I saw!

It was standard looking but big steel round track similar to wild eagle

Edited by dstephe9

Purplish blue? Hmm. That fits the 50's era. Any color does to be honest. Mostly Blue's, red's, greens, etc. 50-60's were colorful though. With it being almost June, we are going to start seeing things being stored in hidden places as Dollywood is good for. If it's bigger than W.E, I'm assuming construction will start early in order to beat possible harsh winter like we had this year. We don't want a Cannibal, Twisted Colossus, etc. situation where coaster don't open until about now. Cannibal still isn't open. Anyway, let the anticipation and speculation build even more.