TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I saw some people discussing it in comments on a youtube video

2017 RMC launch coaster CONFIRMED!

I just don't see Dollywood adding a launched attraction two years in a row

The thing is, the only teaser we have seen as of yet is a hot rod taking off on a long stretch of road leaving flames/smoke and a license plate behind. Along with the trademarked name "Shot Rod", I can't see any other type of coaster besides some type of launching coaster. Whether it be like Helix, Blue Fire, or an RMC. The "Shot" part just says launch. With this coaster, I just generally want some good speed, great airtime, and twisted inversions. The fastest coaster in Dollywood is Tennessee Tornado, it reaches 62-68mph. Imagine a terrain hugging launch at that speed racing through those trees. I can pretty much bet that this coaster will have a pre-show section to tell the story.

What do you all think of when this picture is shown to you?

image.thumb.jpg.b73b4acc8a672222186ea9312dae3797.jpg

I'm on the same page as neilnky with thinking it won't be a wooden coaster for a couple of reasons. First, yeah, there's the argument that wood and the 50's era wouldn't jive because when we think of "rods" we think of cold, hard steel and american muscle. But, for me, the biggest reason is the terrain and what's typically required to construct a wooden coaster. I don't see that hillside being ideal for all of the foundation work required for a wooden structure. If they leveled off a major chunk of the hillside then it may make more sense, but there are more signs of them simply clearing "lanes" instead of leveling the hill.

I'm leaning more toward a steel coaster considering the surveying, stakes, and construction I saw while I was there last week.

Everybody missed a huge potential clue in that photo on the previous page that Dollywoodlover20 posted. One that would tie all of these rumors together perfectly.

Well the only rumors that I heard was it's going to be an RMC with an 88mph launch and be themed to the 1980's, specifically 1985 and like Ntag it will have trains themed to a specific type of car. That picture fits it perfectly

Everybody missed a huge potential clue in that photo on the previous page that Dollywoodlover20 posted. One that would tie all of these rumors together perfectly.

Well the only rumors that I heard was it's going to be an RMC with an 88mph launch and be themed to the 1980's, specifically 1985 and like Ntag it will have trains themed to a specific type of car. That picture fits it perfectly

But...the area isn't themed to 1980's. its more so 50's/60's

What is it then...what the smoke forms, the trees, the license plate?

I'd like to know as well. There's not much at all to go by from the photo.

Personally I'm leaning towards a 50-50 chance of either an RMC or a Mack launched. RMC has a chance because Herschend has worked with them before and know how wildly popular Outlaw Run, along with every other RMC project has been. It is the hottest thing on the market now and they know they can still market it as a first of its kind due to the launch. My reason for a Mack like Helix is it also would be the first of its kind in the U.S. as well...but also remember...back in 2013 Dollywood reps were spotted checking out Blue Fire at Europa Park. They surely had a reason for traveling all the way over to Europe. Imagine a hot rod coaster themed to 50's music...possibly even with a pre-launch dark ride segment. The fit is perfect either way.

But then there is some small part of me that wants to believe they may not be building one, but two tracks, as still is a possibility.It still could be themed to the 50's with Thunder Road, which was not too far away in Knoxville during that time period. One train sets off through the woods to do the daily run, but soon the revenuers find out and the race is on, dialing and racing through the forest and multiple launched in a first of its kind launched racing coaster. RMC or Mack could both do it, although RMC now has experience with Twisted Collussus.

But...the area isn't themed to 1980's. its more so 50's/60's

Assuming you've never seen Back to the Future.

Personally I'm leaning towards a 50-50 chance of either an RMC or a Mack launched. RMC has a chance because Herschend has worked with them before and know how wildly popular Outlaw Run, along with every other RMC project has been. It is the hottest thing on the market now and they know they can still market it as a first of its kind due to the launch. My reason for a Mack like Helix is it also would be the first of its kind in the U.S. as well...but also remember...back in 2013 Dollywood reps were spotted checking out Blue Fire at Europa Park. They surely had a reason for traveling all the way over to Europe. Imagine a hot rod coaster themed to 50's music...possibly even with a pre-launch dark ride segment. The fit is perfect either way.

But then there is some small part of me that wants to believe they may not be building one, but two tracks, as still is a possibility.It still could be themed to the 50's with Thunder Road, which was not too far away in Knoxville during that time period. One train sets off through the woods to do the daily run, but soon the revenuers find out and the race is on, dialing and racing through the forest and multiple launched in a first of its kind launched racing coaster. RMC or Mack could both do it, although RMC now has experience with Twisted Collussus.

The earlier rumors I heard was in fact a mack launch coaster...THEN I started hearing RMC *******, ****** coaster with a time line, a series of events. I have to say, the series of events hare spot on so i'm sticking to the latter.

Let's talk height for just a minute. For decades, the height restriction in Pigeon Forge was 85 feet...my grandfather was mayor of Pigeon Forge when the height restriction was enforced so that the Great Smoky Mountains would remain visible without tall obstructions. Dollywood obviously had enough pull to get the zoning ordinance modified throughout the years to keep buildings restricted to 85 feet but to allow "amusement rides" to be up to "200 feet tall as measured from ground level at the Parkway" (referenced on pg 67 in the link below).

Also in that ordinance it states "Any amusement over 85 feet in height must have a fall zone or setback area equal to its height or 200 feet, whichever is less. The fall zone means an area free and clear of any other amusement, land use or structure. The fall zone may be included in the development’s set back area; however, parking lots may not be located in the fall zone." So keep that in mind when considering a) how tall the new ride will be and b) the area around it that will need to be clear of anything else...and that is needs to be distanced from the nearby employee parking.

I just wanted to help set some "boundaries" for expectations for anyone who gets a bit crazy with their predictions. LOL

Here's the link to the most recent version of the Pigeon Forge zoning ordinance referenced above:

http://www.cityofpigeonforge.com/uploadedFiles/Community_Development/Pigeon_Forge_Zoning_Ordinance_updated_June_2013.pdf

^Well, Dollywood can apply for a variance or waiver from these building regulations. And given that its Dollywood they are probably going to be approved for one, if needed. There was a meeting a few weeks ago...do you know if the meeting notes have been published from that? And if so what new news is there? I'm guessing they publish at the next month's meeting.

I think the next two coasters at DW will be a RMC of "whatever variety" and a Mack launcher. Not sure what order these two will arrive, but I'm feeling confident it will be these two. Herschend has worked with both companies.

And for Shot Rod, I think too that a mid-course show is not out of the question. A mid-course show would give the opportunity for racing in that it would build time for the other coaster to unload and load...enabling a race to set up with the newly-loaded coaster and the coaster that's in the mid-course show...just a thought. that could work for either manufacturer, but I do hope that if it turns out to be a Mack that its like Helix with two launches and no stopping.

coasterfreaky, the only thing we know from that Pigeon Forge Regional Planning Commission meeting on March 24 is that Guy Wantieze of Vision Engineering and Development Services presented the site plan for the new Dollywood attraction and received approval. Historically, the city does not make public the details of these proposals for new additions at Dollywood, but there have been no variations to any ordinances lately...but believe me, there would be a LOT of loose lips if the height ordinance was being considered to increase, and there's no buzz or even whisper about that.