TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Yes I noticed that today! They also now have a big wood fence around the area.. Cant really see much going on behind it.. I wanted to take a picture of it but forgot to come back to take the picture after I got my phone.. With that being said they old music shop also looked closed today? Door locked? and started taking signs off the building.. It was beside cas walkers.. Wonder if that ALSO has anything to do with the new ride? Maybe it will be the exit?

And yes i agree, doesn't sound like MM has been very reliable this year at all.. Seems to be closed a lot from post on here this year

Without searching back through the previous pages, who was it that said they saw survey markers heading up one of the hillsides behind the service road?

Looks like the road has actually been moved closer to the hillside as you can see in the picture above that some grading has been done on the hillside. Might need a tad bit more space for whatever is about to go in that footprint.

I looked for survey markers today and actually saw none BUT with the big wood fence up, it was really hard to see far behind it anyways.. Someone who has access to the service road or the old dollywood entrance (I guess staff entrance now) might be able to see the makers better.. They are doing a lot of work and cutting back into the hillside like you can see in the picture.. They have also dug further back than you can see in the picture

With that being said they old music shop also looked closed today? Door locked? and started taking signs off the building.. It was beside cas walkers.. Wonder if that ALSO has anything to do with the new ride? Maybe it will be the exit?

What Music Shop are you referring to? I don't remember a Music Shop ever operating in Jukebox Junction. Isn't that just a faux facade for themeing & actually part of the Pines Theater building? I noticed the old logos removed during opening weekend as well, such as the Gibson one. Perhaps that side of the building is going to be re-themed to fit in with the new attraction.

So sad to see the Cas Walker's building being demolished! I was hoping it would be repurposed somehow and incorporated into the new attraction. Yet another original "Dolly" element of Dollywood has disappeared!

Sounds like Gerstlauer needs to come in and fully check Mystery Mine over. A year or two since opening its not been fully reliable. More of on the effects side rather than mechanical, and the effects make Mystery Mine.

I also wanted to say that while doing some research that as of April 1st, Cas Walkers is completely gone. The only thing left are two beams and a bit of concrete.

Gerstlauer has nothing to do with the effects on MM. The actual ride is operating just fine, so Gerstlauer's job is done.

With that being said they old music shop also looked closed today? Door locked? and started taking signs off the building.. It was beside cas walkers.. Wonder if that ALSO has anything to do with the new ride? Maybe it will be the exit?

What Music Shop are you referring to? I don't remember a Music Shop ever operating in Jukebox Junction. Isn't that just a faux facade for themeing & actually part of the Pines Theater building? I noticed the old logos removed during opening weekend as well, such as the Gibson one. Perhaps that side of the building is going to be re-themed to fit in with the new attraction.

So sad to see the Cas Walker's building being demolished! I was hoping it would be repurposed somehow and incorporated into the new attraction. Yet another original "Dolly" element of Dollywood has disappeared!

I thought the corner of the building is where they sold CDs? Like Dolly's CDs or was that Case Walkers? I don't visit that area of the park much at all.. But I know there was a small store that sold CDs in that area..

But yeah that's what I mean.. All the decals have been taken off the building haha

Sounds like Gerstlauer needs to come in and fully check Mystery Mine over. A year or two since opening its not been fully reliable. More of on the effects side rather than mechanical, and the effects make Mystery Mine.

I also wanted to say that while doing some research that as of April 1st, Cas Walkers is completely gone. The only thing left are two beams and a bit of concrete.

Gerstlauer has nothing to do with the effects on MM. The actual ride is operating just fine, so Gerstlauer's job is done.

Its obviously not operating that well.. Since opening this year tons of us have seen it closed for the entire day or even days at a time.. Unless they just don't have the staff to operate it (which I doubt) there must be some kind of mechanical issue somewhere. They wouldn't close it down just for effects

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but I find it hard to believe anyone can say its running fine when it has been closed so much this early in the season (I know a few days could have been due to coldness but several days it has been closed have been in the mid 60s - 70s)

Paul's Music Shop is a façade for Dollywood's Central Dispatch, which monitors the weather and other stuff. Here's a news story from 2011 about that...its interesting.

WBIR Report on Dollywoods Weather tracking

That's is very interesting! I love knowing the hiding places for park operations! Lol

I still remember a CD shop (mainly for Dolly's CDs) somewhere in that area though! I swear it was a corner shop but I'm probably wrong lol.. Haha like I said, I hardly ever visit that part of the park and only went there to see the progress on the new ride

That's is very interesting! I love knowing the hiding places for park operations! Lol

I still remember a CD shop (mainly for Dolly's CDs) somewhere in that area though! I swear it was a corner shop but I'm probably wrong lol.. Haha like I said, I hardly ever visit that part of the park and only went there to see the progress on the new ride

Yes, there was a music store there back in the late '90s/early 2000s. It was Uncle Bill's Guitar Shop at the time and featured Dolly CDs, Elvis/50s memorabilia, and of few of Uncle Bill's recording awards/displays.

Got it so sounds like its been closes much longer than I had thought lol.. Growing up my dad was always into that type of music so that was always a stop on our trip to Dollywood but I haven't been to Dollywood with my dad in about 15 years lol.. He doesn't go there as much now that his company doesn't have company picnics there

I just noticed all the decals recently removed so I thought it was more recent.. Either way they seem to be making some changes to that building I'm guessing for the new ride

The grading on the hill that you all are seeing behind Cas Walker's old location is just the bank beside the new trolley route. Here are some pics that show the new route. They aren't currently clearing anything up above this and the asphalt, landscaping, curbs, etc are new and too "permanent" looking for this to just be a temporary thing. There also isn't any clearing being done anywhere on the hill that stretches from the trolley pickup all the way down past Country Fair (kids area)...nothing.

There is a lot of compiled info about the new roller coaster at: http://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/things-to-do/new-dollywood-roller-coaster-in-2016/

Here are some pics to help show what everything looks like this week.

dollywood-trolley-route.thumb.jpg.6b28d69ca2f3e0b3179ab039c567e2b1.jpg

The graded part of the hill that is seen behind where Cas Walker's use to be

dollywood-new-trolley-route.jpg.a8ec8523b92c8d329005c287224e1f60.jpg

The new trolley route

line-to-ride-rockin-roadway-dollywood.jpg.bd3d14dcc10bf7d6ed7b7b7a5a26674f.jpg

Take a look at the line to ride Rockin' Roadway on Wednesday, April 1!

dollywood-trolley-route-2.thumb.jpg.36def315d4dd0451ce55786b21ba2268.jpg

Here's another angle of where Cas Walker's was so you can see the hill behind it better. Nothing going on back there.

Without searching back through the previous pages, who was it that said they saw survey markers heading up one of the hillsides behind the service road?

Looks like the road has actually been moved closer to the hillside as you can see in the picture above that some grading has been done on the hillside. Might need a tad bit more space for whatever is about to go in that footprint.

It was me. You gotta be looking for them to see them but they are there.

Goes to listen to dueling banjo's...

I was at Dollywood today.. Parking seems to be better now BUT everyone was very confused where to get on the trams at.. NO don't walk through the open gate and pass everyone waiting in the tram lines! Open gates are exit only, they now have an organized line!

Parking lot F was closed as they are building a tram station there.. They where working on it today

Mystery Mine is still closed.. Maintenance was at the gate keeping people away.. This was a maintenance man not a ride op.. He said it would be closed all day today and probably for a little while.. When I asked he said "maintenance issue".. I then asked about the restraints and he said they are having an issue where some people can hold their arms out to far and someone broke his arm after it hit something? But then declined and denied that was the reason it was closed. He just said it was a maintenance issue again.. Being a maintenance guy I couldn't really get much out of him like ride ops who spill everything lol. It didn't open all day and a different maintenance guy was there the second and third time I walked by.. Again wouldnt say why.. So idk what is going on with mystery mine or how long it will be down.. But don't hold your breath or go just for it anytime soon!

Someone claims it was opened right at opening but you never know, they may have just been testing it. I didn't see it run all day. They said they didn't ride it, just saw it running..

Park looks great! Place was crowded! Food was great like always.. Prices went up though! Lol

I was there Thursday as well. I rode Mystery Mine at about 2pm. The next time I saw it at 6:15, it was closed, but that's all I know.

Wonder if they got it open today.. It must have closed right after you rode it BC I was in the park right around 1:00 got to the parking lot sometime right after 12:30ish, went to market square to eat (love trying the festival food they always have there, main reason I went!! Lol) and then headed up to Thunderhead and waited in line I guess 15 - 20 mins (park was pretty crowded I was surprised) and then headed to mystery mine.. This was the first maintenance guy I talked to and the timing of that would have probably been shortly after 2:00 (I really don't pay much attention to time in the park so I wouldn't bet money on my timing)

He made it sound like it had been closed a while though lol but when I was getting cinnamon bread I was talking to a guy who did say he saw it running in the morning. He said he didn't ride it though. I left around 6:30 to head to Gatlinburg to walk around for a few mins and it was still closed but I was told it would be closed the rest of the day and probably today as well..

BTW I did want to mention the new lockers cost $8.00

I know someone mentioned they saw the price online in the Dollywood FAQ but they quoted like $5 I believe

Just wanted to let anyone know who might need one! Really $8 isn't all that bad but more than I wanna pay haha

OHHHH and u must be 18 to taste the new nonalcoholic moonshine jelly.. That cracked me up! All the candy stores around the area allow kids to taste the beer flavored jelly bellies haha.. I just found it funny. You can get jack Daniels seasoned food at TGI Fridays and be under 18 as well haha

BTW I did want to mention the new fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo cost $8.00

Weird, I walked by the ones by Mystery Mine and I thought it said they were 6 bucks. That was last Thursday. Did they go up or did I just read it wrong? $8 is still a good deal for all-day lockers, especially considering they aren't in one fixed location.

Edited by ernierocker

I'm pretty sure the one I looked at said $8! Maybe I read it wrong. Lol The only one I looked at where right at the entrance

My gf just told me she saw $8 as well.. Maybe it was just a glitch at the lockers we saw! Haha

When I was at the park for opening weekend, the floating lockers from one ride to another were $6 for an all day rental, while the ones at the entrance that were in one location were $8 for regular size and $11 for a family size for an all day rental.

The entrance lockers where the lockers I saw so that explains it! I wonder why the prices are different! Very odd

The lockers at the rides seemed to be the same size as the entrance lockers haha