TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

My fiancé and I were at the park last week in line for MM when all of a sudden 4 or 5 park maintenance guys showed up and instructed the ride operator to shut down the ride and empty the station. Everyone was told the ride is now closed and to leave. Yesterday we were back at the park and MM was up and running so we went back. We asked one of the young ride operators what happened and he said Dollywood had found out that the restraints that MM used had been recalled and Dollywood was still running the ride with the old restraints. So the ride was shut down while Dollywood investigated, repaired, replaced any needed. Anyone heard of this recall or know more? Could it be something of the six flags fatal accident?

Mystery Mine would be a GREAT ride if it had the same kind of restraints as Dare Devil Dive.

I agree and I have said that for years.. My gf doesn't think so though she hates the lap only restraints of DDD haha

With that being said Mystery Mine blows DDD out of the water with theming, and I actually enjoy the layout of Mystery Mine more, but the otsrs kill it.

WOW that song is amazing. I'd never heard it before today and thank you for sharing, ernierocker. Now every vinylphile on TPR is searching their parents' collection for the 45. Sounds like a perfect fit for this new attraction and reminds me a little bit of the Doo Wah Diddy City area of Opryland. I can't wait to see what unfolds.

^Oooooooo! Snot Rocket! I think we have a winner here!

The station would be a giant head, and when it sneezes, you would be launched like a giant booger from it's nose! This would work as Tteenneessee is well known as the allergy capitol of the US.

^Oooooooo! Snot Rocket! I think we have a winner here!

The station would be a giant head, and when it sneezes, you would be launched like a giant booger from it's nose! This would work as Tteenneessee is well known as the allergy capitol of the US.

Is TN really allergy capital of the U.S.?? I've lived here all my life and never heard that, but it wouldn't suprise me none the less lol.

Yes Knoxville is always on the top of the list when it comes to cities with the most allergies.. Maybe not number 1 but its always towards the top

Just checked last year's top 20 and Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville where all three in the top 15 haha!

The first time I saw the name I read it as Short Rod. I kept reading it like that and thinking what the heck it was. It wasn't until the next time I checked this thread that I saw it as Shot Rod. Definitely has a better ring to it

^ I'd be surprised, but not totally so. I've been around here long enough to know anything is possible, but I still don't see the whole hot rod/wooden coaster thing mixing right.

The real question now is what style of launched coaster have they gone for. Considering the name, I'd expect a straight high-speed launch/ramp segment with a tophat element. I wouldn't immediately expect a lot of terrain action, but I hope there is.

^ I'd be surprised, but not totally so. I've been around here long enough to know anything is possible, but I still don't see the whole hot rod/wooden coaster thing mixing right.

The real question now is what style of launched coaster have they gone for. Considering the name, I'd expect a straight high-speed launch/ramp segment with a tophat element. I wouldn't immediately expect a lot of terrain action, but I hope there is.

I can totally see it. I imagine a really cool themed train (You know RMC can do that!) and some great theme-ing! I'm still hoping for a lot of terrain-based elements too!

If it is a RMC Launch, it'll be the first (something Dollywood is known for doing). If it indeed is, I really hope this launch doesn't just barely launch and that's the "main adrenaline". I'm hoping for a full all out high speed launch (about TT speed) with gut wrenching drops and near miss elements (trees, signs, etc,). That is something that would put Dollywood on the spot, if we have another family coaster it will be a repeat of FCE with a different theme.

I was at Dollywood today.. Parking seems to be better now BUT everyone was very confused where to get on the trams at.. NO don't walk through the open gate and pass everyone waiting in the tram lines! Open gates are exit only, they now have an organized line!

Parking lot F was closed as they are building a tram station there.. They where working on it today

Mystery Mine is still closed.. Maintenance was at the gate keeping people away.. This was a maintenance man not a ride op.. He said it would be closed all day today and probably for a little while.. When I asked he said "maintenance issue".. I then asked about the restraints and he said they are having an issue where some people can hold their arms out to far and someone broke his arm after it hit something? But then declined and denied that was the reason it was closed. He just said it was a maintenance issue again.. Being a maintenance guy I couldn't really get much out of him like ride ops who spill everything lol. It didn't open all day and a different maintenance guy was there the second and third time I walked by.. Again wouldnt say why.. So idk what is going on with mystery mine or how long it will be down.. But don't hold your breath or go just for it anytime soon!

Someone claims it was opened right at opening but you never know, they may have just been testing it. I didn't see it run all day. They said they didn't ride it, just saw it running..

Park looks great! Place was crowded! Food was great like always.. Prices went up though! Lol

Im thinking the restraint issue might have actually been real and someone did get hurt earlier in the season, broken arm like the guy said, BUT I think the maintenance man was probably telling the truth about that not being the reason it has been closed so much this year.. if someone gets hurt on any ride they close it down for a few hours and have it inspected then open it back up.. I am thinking this MIGHT be why a ride op told someone (Actually they told you haha) the restraints where recalled when they probably actually where not..

With that being said, hearing on here and from people that it has been up and down all season I am guessing there is just an ongoing maintenance issue causing it to go down for days at a time.. I arrived at Dollywood around noon - one so it could have been opened earlier.. But he did say it wouldn't be open today and even told me not to hold my breath about it being opened tomorrow either haha.. I asked how long and he said it could be down for several days to weeks.. Or they could have it back up and running in a few days.. He couldn't really say.. I guess they had to order a part lol

Id be curious to know what is actually going on though!

Edited by dstephe9

Sounds like Gerstlauer needs to come in and fully check Mystery Mine over. A year or two since opening its not been fully reliable. More of on the effects side rather than mechanical, and the effects make Mystery Mine.

I also wanted to say that while doing some research that as of April 1st, Cas Walkers is completely gone. The only thing left are two beams and a bit of concrete.

image.jpg.a464b215c4a88a5377a20e6105bed781.jpg