TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Well if its a coaster like most believe and if its a big project we will start seeing ground work, probably as early as opening in March..

I know I saw groundwork for wild eagle as early as march but most of it was around slidewinder at that time..

So it wouldn't surprise me that they would try to put together a promo video sometime before the park opens.. I'm sure we will be seeing work start sooner or later!! Especially if it's a project as big as wild eagle or bigger like they say!!

I am excited.. It'll be interesting though to see how they fit something big (unless its a dark ride) in that area.. Something as big as wild eagle if not bigger.. We will see [emoji1]

I have no doubt that whatever they are building is bigger than wild eagle and what has me excited is them saying it will cost roughly the same as eagle..

Now if they actually build around and replace the roadway ride somehow that area is already much flatter than where the eagle was built.. Considering a lot of the cost of eagle was groundwork just imagine what would be available in an area where not nearly as much groundwork is needed

Interesting development if it turns out to be true.

I was looking at the property Dollywood owns and sure enough they do own the hillside (and more) that's across the service road from Rockin' Roadway...so I suppose its possible to go across the street and up in to the hillside area for a new coaster...which I circled in red on this map. The yellow highlighting is Dollywood property, or most of it at least.

2098604411_dollywoodpropertymap2015XX.jpg.5381c0202a255cef4b3568cf3a569fc6.jpg

Dollywood property map 2015

Yeah it has a lot of promise for an awesome Mack launcher, like HELIX!!. Anyway, it could easily be themed to the moonshine bootleggers of the era that Jukebox Junction already represents...50's and 60's Sevierville, without having to make a lot of other changes to the J.J. area. The White Lightning trail runs through the Sevierville & Knoxville areas and is relevant... I can see this.

Here's a bit of the history (1930's to present day)

tntrailsandbyways.com/trail-history/16/white-lightning-trail/

Moonshiners continued to make and sell “white whiskey” throughout the Great Depression and into the 1950s and 1960s. Moonshine was transported at night by “bootleggers” in an effort to avoid whiskey tax collectors. The smugglers needed to outrun the law and haul heavy loads of whiskey at the same time, and began modifying their cars with fl athead V-8 engines and superstiff rear suspensions. Their tactics worked, and often left frustrated revenuers eating their dust. The souped-up “stock cars” not only provided a clean getaway vehicle, but a means for recreational racing as well. Dirt tracks and unpatrolled roads in the area were ideal for racing. In the 1930s, this newfound sport made it to Florida beaches, where the stock cars were driven by admitted moonshine runners like Flonty Flock, Lee Petty and Junior Johnson. It was the beginning of today’s NASCAR, one of the fastestgrowing sports in America. In 1958, actor Robert Mitchum produced, co-wrote and starred in a fi lm that paid tribute to the cultural phenomenon of bootlegging. Thunder Road became an instant classic and has endured as one of the most popularly screened fi lms in history. Today the backwoods still is all but a distant memory. The availability of legal, store-bought liquor in previously dry southeastern counties crushed the moonshiners’ ability to make a profi t, but their undercover trade has left an indelible mark on the region’s history and culture.

On another note that I haven't seen on here, Blazing Fury's last two drops are being re-built by RMC, so no one should jump to conclusions that RMC is working on a new project at this time, lol. That may happen, but right now they're removing and replacing the 2nd to last and the last drop on Blazing Fury - which is a result of issues that arose from removing the water, the brakes, all that stuff. RMC's iron track is pretty close to what is used on Blazing Fury, so they are a good choice for this project. I wouldn't expect a big difference, but we'll see when it opens back up in March.

On another note that I haven't seen on here, Blazing Fury's last two drops are being re-built by RMC, so no one should jump to conclusions that RMC is working on a new project at this time, lol. That may happen, but right now they're removing and replacing the 2nd to last and the last drop on Blazing Fury - which is a result of issues that arose from removing the water, the brakes, all that stuff. RMC's iron track is pretty close to what is used on Blazing Fury, so they are a good choice for this project. I wouldn't expect a big difference, but we'll see when it opens back up in March.

Source?

I'm not posting a direct link b/c i'm not sure of the relationship between TPR and ITL, but go to youtube, In The Loop, find the video for backstage tour of Blazing Fury. It's about 42 min, go to 28:40ish...there's a Q&A with Pete (edit: Not Pete Owens) while they're standing at the top of the drop and they discuss this (RMC) and lots of other stuff. there's an entire walk through of BF in first 2/3 of that video.

^Heh, there will always be one more coaster that will "round out" the park I've found.

I'm positive that they are indeed working on a huge new coaster for 2016, but I'll believe the Mack launched rumors when I see it. At this point that rumor has been kicked around so much that it's impossible to tell what's real and what's just bouncing around the enthusiast echo chambers. If you repeat an idea enough times, eventually it becomes a long-standing "rumor". Could definitely be a launched coaster though, but I wouldn't rule out the other manufacturers.

The Rockin Roadway plot really does seem like the best place in DW where a major coaster could go without being so exposed and jarring from inside the park like Wild Eagle. Even so, I hope it's at least partially enclosed, or spends a lot of time flying through thematic elements. Something like Cannibal would be amazing.

^Boooooooooo! Boooooooooo!

In all seriousness, finding a spot for a major new coaster shouldn't be too hard at all, they built Wild Eagle on top of a mountain and they still have all that space up by the train loop. They've got land.

And if they're going to go big, I really really hope they go big. There have been so many "huge coaster coming to DW" rumors that it would be so satisfying to see them outdo Helix/Maverick/Outlaw Run/Voyage or the like.

And if they're going to go big, I really really hope they go big. There have been so many "huge coaster coming to DW" rumors that it would be so satisfying to see them outdo Helix/Maverick/Outlaw Run/Voyage or the like.

I agree ! I really do not think it will be a launched coaster like some are suggesting. They just built a launched coaster so it doesn't make sense that they would build another. I can totally see them putting in a B&M invert though. As far as the RMC rumors , that would work well too. I think quite a few people will be let down if it is a dark ride , but if it is a 20 million dollar dark ride , I think it could be really cool. Honestly , I don't know what it will be. We will have to wait til the end of summer to find out more details. Maybe sooner if we're lucky.

I think Dollywood can do without Mountain Slidewinder. I hear it is hard to find in the park as it branches out into it's own path. Just my thoughts but maybe a dark ride would go good there.

I would hate for them to lose it, such a unique ride.

I would hate for them to lose it, such a unique ride.

I just feel like if they were to need to remove another ride , they would go for that. I remember when SFMM got rid of Log Jammer , everyone was upset also as I'm sure people would be upset about this. But they just have so many water rides at Dollywood. Mind you , this is purely my own thought , it probably won't happen lol

I think Dollywood can do without Mountain Slidewinder. I hear it is hard to find in the park as it branches out into it's own path. Just my thoughts but maybe a dark ride would go good there.

Also, Mountain Slidewinder still ranks in the top water ride polls at the Golden Ticket Awards!

And if they're going to go big' date=' I really really hope they go big. There have been so many "huge coaster coming to DW" rumors that it would be so satisfying to see them outdo Helix/Maverick/Outlaw Run/Voyage or the like.[/quote']

I agree ! I really do not think it will be a launched coaster like some are suggesting. They just built a launched coaster so it doesn't make sense that they would build another.

Parks do it all the time...busch gardens is doing it now...

We will have to wait til the end of summer to find out more details. Maybe sooner if we're lucky.

I think we are gonna be very lucky!

And if they're going to go big' date=' I really really hope they go big. There have been so many "huge coaster coming to DW" rumors that it would be so satisfying to see them outdo Helix/Maverick/Outlaw Run/Voyage or the like.[/quote']

I agree ! I really do not think it will be a launched coaster like some are suggesting. They just built a launched coaster so it doesn't make sense that they would build another.

Parks do it all the time...busch gardens is doing it now...

We will have to wait til the end of summer to find out more details. Maybe sooner if we're lucky.

I think we are gonna be very lucky!

I hope so ! And I now remember someone who works at Dollywood mentioning something about the 2016 rumored coaster being something that will launch it's riders. So maybe I am wrong. I wish I remember where I read that comment so I can go back to ask the guy more details. But he did say he works there and that's what employees are saying. So this is getting interesting indeed.