TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

For me, I don't get why people are all gaga over Disney parks. I am not a huge fan. I would much rather go to Dollywood or SDC.

I agree. I do enjoy Disney but you can't beat the authenticity and real-ness of SDC and Dollywood.

I feel same way. The theming at Disney and Universal is amazing but you still know you're in a themed environment and no matter how great of a job they do it feels like a theme park. An awesome, awesome theme park but still a theme park. Because of the location, the people that work there and the great theming everywhere it doesn't even feel like theming at Dollywood. It feels incredibly authentic. I love Disney and Universal but I like Dollywood better and the authenticity of it is the biggest reason why.

For me, I don't get why people are all gaga over Disney parks. I am not a huge fan. I would much rather go to Dollywood or SDC.

I agree. I do enjoy Disney but you can't beat the authenticity and real-ness of SDC and Dollywood.

I feel same way. The theming at Disney and Universal is amazing but you still know you're in a themed environment and no matter how great of a job they do it feels like a theme park. An awesome, awesome theme park but still a theme park. Because of the location, the people that work there and the great theming everywhere it doesn't even feel like theming at Dollywood. It feels incredibly authentic. I love Disney and Universal but I like Dollywood better and the authenticity of it is the biggest reason why.

I didn't realize this until I read your post, but. I feel the exact same way!

• 2 weeks later...
Really, the only Six Flags parks without a RMC that would be in the running are SFSTL, America and Georgia. So if they only do one, there might be a chance for Dollywood with an Outlaw Run type coaster.

I'm sorry, but why is SFGADV not on this list.

I'd DEFINATELY expect an RMC. But an invert would be so SWEET.

Really, the only Six Flags parks without a RMC that would be in the running are SFSTL, America and Georgia. So if they only do one, there might be a chance for Dollywood with an Outlaw Run type coaster.

Because they have El Toro. The ONLY reason another woodie SHOULD go to SFGADV is if it's a first of its kind for a woodie. Maybe an inverted woodie.

I think it is fantastic that RMC has such a full schedule, and I sincerely hope that one of the 2016 projects is Dollywood. Since Outlaw Run, I have heard rumors of one and to me it would be a perfect addition to their lineup. An invert would be nice as well, but I do not see them getting one so soon after Wild Eagle, I would predict to see another B&M at Silver Dollar City before another shows up at Dollywood.

Because they have El Toro. The ONLY reason another woodie SHOULD go to SFGADV is if it's a first of its kind for a woodie. Maybe an inverted woodie.

My thoughts exactly...the only RMC I would see going into SFGAdv would be a Goliath clone. Even that I don't see for another couple of years at least. Also, Great Adventure has no wooden coaster that would need the Iron Horse treatment. America, STL, and Georgia all have potential coasters for the redo.

My thoughts exactly...the only RMC I would see going into SFGAdv would be a Goliath clone. Even that I don't see for another couple of years at least. Also, Great Adventure has no wooden coaster that would need the Iron Horse treatment. America, STL, and Georgia all have potential coasters for the redo.

La Ronde doesn't have one either.

Because of El Toro, I, like others have said, believe we won't see an RMC there for another few years.

I tried the cinnamon bread last weekend. Very,very tasty. I bought a loaf to take home, and I'm still munching on it right now, along with my blueberry cider. Mmm, Dollyfood.

I also checked out the new Alpine Coaster that's down the road from Dollyfood. It's a lot of fun, and actually pretty scary. The ride op instructs you not to use the brakes at all, and the turns near the end of the ride feel like they're trying to throw you off the side of the cliff. I can only imagine how much more amazing it would be at night.

Hmmm....perhaps we will have to check out this mountain coaster as we have decided to hit Dollywood up on our way back from our Florida vacation next week.

And of course, we wouldn't be able to visit the park without sampling that awesome cinnamon bread and delicious food!

You guys sure are proud of this park! I'm still waiting for the chance when I get to come out to experience this park and Silver Dollar City. I remember speaking with some people I know who grew up with Dollywood and visited Kentucky Kingdom once. Of course their review wasn't very positive, so I'm assuming they're definitely spoiling you guys out there!

^ People like you, Elissa, are why I love TPR. People actually RESPECT your opinions, unlike a more famous coaster enthusiast group that shall not be named.

One of the few reasons I still come back to these forums, apart from better handlings of topics from people who typically actually live near the park and have actually experienced certain rides instead of piggybacking someone else's views and watching videos repeatedly.

Just a note to say there are two alpine mountain coasters currently operating around here and two more are under construction.

Theres the first one that opened that’s in Wears Valley, just outside Sevierville…

www.smokymountainalpinecoaster.com/

There’s the one in Gatlinburg, next door to Hillbilly Golf…

gatlinburgmountaincoaster.com/

The third one is still under construction at Goats On The Roof… Screamscape says its delayed because of an issue with the lift hill, maybe opening in December… This one is basically next to the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster, in Wears Valley. This website doesn’t seem to have any info on the coaster though.

www.goatsontheroofofthesmokies.com/

The fourth one will be at Ober Gatlinburg, its under construction and it’s said to be a different manufacturer than these other three. And also Ober has the very very old Alpine SLIDE coaster as well…it’s a concrete trough, and pretty short compared to these others. No info on the Alpine Coaster yet on their website.

www.obergatlinburg.com/activity/alpine-slide/

Edit: Here's the latest info from the park....opening Spring 2015, and this one is an ADG MOUNTAIN COASTER. www.obergatlinburg.com/events-news/whats-new/

OBER GATLINBURG ANNOUNCES ADDITION OF MOUNTAIN COASTER

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (July 16, 2014)— Ober Gatlinburg is proud to announce the addition of an exciting, year round adventure attraction, the ADG Mountain Coaster, opening in the spring of 2015. Ober Gatlinburg Amusement Park and Ski Area will be a fabulous setting for the coaster which is nestled just below the peak of Mt. Harrison. Offering guests an activity of this caliber will increase enjoyment for all visitors who are seeking a new thrill with fantastic views. Ober Gatlinburg is partnering with ADG, Inc., of Cohoes NY, the leading manufacturer of mountain coasters and slides in the US, to bring this attraction to the top of Ski Mountain Road. The ride will last approximately 5 ½ minutes and cover nearly 4000 feet. Construction will begin near the end of July and the ride is projected to open in spring of 2015.

The mountain coaster will depart near the Tubing Park and begin with a tranquil uphill ride through woods that border the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Once at the top, riders will be whisked down adrenaline pumping turns, dips, zigs, zags, corkscrews and G-force action adventures. Although the mountain coaster can be exhilarating, it is the ultimate family experience and is great for any age. Children, parents and grandparents can comfortably enjoy the ride and choose their own pace down the mountain. Enjoy the high-speed adventure, hugging every turn and dip as you zoom down the mountain at speeds up to 25 MPH, or choose a more relaxed pace suitable to your enjoyment level.

Designed for comfort, the unique ADG Mountain Coaster carts provide a more secure and comfortable ride with room for two riders, higher back rests and shorter brake levers for easier handling and control. Whatever speed is chosen, the ADG coaster is top rated for safety and designed with a built-in collision avoidance and seatbelt monitoring system.

Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area and Amusement Park is Tennessee’s only ski Area and continues to be a favored year-round destination. The upcoming 2014-2015 season will mark Ober Gatlinburg’s 53rd year as a snow sports area, offering skiing, snowboarding, and tubing in the winter and an alpine slide, scenic chairlift, chair swing, maze, water raft rides and mini golf in the summer. The Mountain Coaster will join the Wildlife Encounter, Arcade and Ober’s Indoor Ice Rink as a year-round attraction.

Ober’s 5th annual Oktoberfest will begin on September 26th and run through November 2nd. Guests can enjoy multiple show times of The Bavarian Fun Makers Oompah Band everyday while indulging in authentic German cuisine at the Seasons of Ober Restaurant. Each weekend of Oktoberfest, Ober’s Bier Garten will feature different German Biers and Wines with fun and games for the entire family.

Edited by coasterfreaky

^Smoky Mountain Christmas is a great time to visit the park. The majority of guests are there for the seasonal shows and events and ride lines are usually very manageable. The weather is trending towards being warmer next week, so as long as the temperature stays out of the mid to lower 30's, all of the rides will be open except for the water rides. Going on a Friday should be no exception especially with the park opening at 2.

Sunday and weekdays are the least crowded to go during smoky mountain Christmas..

Saturday is the most crowded and Friday is right behind it..

I have been on a Wednesday night and Sunday this year and all rides where walkons after 5!! Even firechaser.

Most people are there for shows..

Friday and Saturday are busier ride wise.. Biggest problem during the Christmas event is that its hard for Dollywood to judge the ride crowds.. Usually running only one train on tornado, blazing fury, thunderhead and two trains on fire chaser and eagle.. If the lines do get backed up they get backed up bad!!

Then they might put another train on the track which will close the ride for 10 or 15 mins.

But overall its a great time to visit.. I hopefully will be there tomorrow

Went to Dollywood this weekend again.. This time they had the streetlights on so the whole park didn't seem as dark.. I liked the Christmas lights a few weeks ago better though when the streetlights where off..

The park was much busier this weekend but after dark all rides except for fire chaser where pretty much a walk on.. Fire chaser had probably twenty min wait so not bad for a new ride..

Nice and warm most of the evening which is always good! Lol

Went to Dollywood this weekend again.. This time they had the streetlights on so the whole park didn't seem as dark.. I liked the Christmas lights a few weeks ago better though when the streetlights where off..

The park was much busier this weekend but after dark all rides except for fire chaser where pretty much a walk on.. Fire chaser had probably twenty min wait so not bad for a new ride..

Nice and warm most of the evening which is always good! Lol

I went on Sunday and I had the same experience with Fire Chaser - which I think is a lot more fun in the dark!!! I noticed the area around the backside of Thunderhead was all lit up - usually its very dark. We had a great time, the weather was good, walk on rides on everything but Fire Chaser...doesn't get much better.

I did manage a wide-shot picture of the clearing area taken from the tram drop-off point....

Edit...just added what looks to me to be the clearing area....large clearing area.

1196977215_dollywoodclearinglate2014.thumb.jpg.322a6518b937dd9236285c78eab11d01.jpg

Dollywood clearing - November 30th 2014

image.thumb.jpg.431afe35989356836ffcfbbed54ae2fb.jpg

Clearing

Edited by coasterfreaky

I'm thinking of doing a crazy last minute year end trip to TN from SoCal to keep my Platinum Status on American...now I'm thinking of making it so crazy as to journey to Dollywood on Sunday the 14th from Nashville..while I've been to that area in my youth, its been 35+ years...so I'd love to get the coaster credits and to see the park at Christmas time...I see that the park is open 2-9 that day and that seems doable based on the reviews above for this time of year...obviously cannot predict the weather or conditions...so Dollywood, Veterans, advice?? I'd probably stay in that area on Sun night and then hit some of the RMNP and Gatlinburg on Mon before heading back to Nashville for 7:00PM flight...worth the trip from Nashville?? I'm leaning towards Yes, as I love a good adventure...even if it goes awry...

^Have you priced flying into Knoxville Airport (TYS)?. If you fly into Nashville, you will add an 8 hour roundtrip-roadtrip onto your vacation...time that could be better spent at Dollywood and G'burg.

TYS can be a bit pricier, it is true and unfortunate. But its an easy airport to get in and out of.