TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Thunderhead closes at 9pm due to the ride being in the firework fallout zone and it will not reopen due to the fact it takes maintenance 2 hours to walk the track of the ride to ensure it is safe for operation. It still isn't very dark here around 9pm as I would prefer it to be so there haven't been any night rides on Thunderhead all summer. Mystery Mine closes at 9:15 and will reopen at 9:40 after the fireworks show due to the same reason as Thunderhead.

It is the last day of the Great American Summer festival with 10-10pm hours and fireworks. It should be very crowded and the temperatures here in East Tennessee have been in the low 70's and have been driving boatloads of people to Dollywood this week. So I would expect high crowds!

Good thing I've got a Q-Bot reserved then, huh?

I was more concerned about the weather but the hourly forecast is showing it holding off mostly, so there's another thing I don't need to worry about.

Honestly, though, I nab FireChaser and get to ride Wild Eagle anytime and Thunderhead at night, I'll walk out a happy boy.

Probably a dumb question, but can I get refills in drinks if I bring a cup from last season?

The Q-bot for Dollywood is one of the best deals there is. Such a great park, and well worth the up-charge.

Dollywood is a strange park, with schools in session the people who go to the park for rides will be lower however the park attendance will probably be the same. A lot of people go to Dollywood just for shopping and shows and those people seem to pick up when schools are in session.

I have been there on a weekday during school and still park in F lot only an hour or so after opening

F is the last parking lot, the one furthest away from the park

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't been to Splash Country in a couple of years, and I have the option to go on Labor Day (Monday 9/1). I know it's the park's last operating day, so I expect things won't be quite in mid-season form, but I don't know what that will *actually* mean for my experience at the park. First, what should I expect the crowds to be like, given that it's a holiday? Second, what should I expect operations to be like given that school is back in session? Third, what are the chances I'll be able to find anything worthwhile to eat inside the park? Thanks!

So I haven't been to Splash Country in a couple of years, and I have the option to go on Labor Day (Monday 9/1). I know it's the park's last operating day, so I expect things won't be quite in mid-season form, but I don't know what that will *actually* mean for my experience at the park. First, what should I expect the crowds to be like, given that it's a holiday? Second, what should I expect operations to be like given that school is back in session? Third, what are the chances I'll be able to find anything worthwhile to eat inside the park? Thanks!

I would go into it expecting it to be quite crowded, being a holiday coupled with the last day of the season. Now, the weather forecast may change that if its bad (I haven't looked yet, this far out it wouldn't be reliable anyway). Everything should be in tip-top shape and operations should be flowing just fine simply because it is a holiday and the park should be fully staffed.

Splash Country actually has a pretty good variety of food for a water park when compared to when it first opened. Admittedly, the selection isn't as good as Dollywood, but that's to be expected. Burgers/Fries/Chicken/Pizza/Salads/Wraps can be found at Campsite Grill and Miss Mamies (same large building in the middle of the park), Tacos and taco salads can be found at High Country (by the wave pool), Funnel sticks can be found by the main lockers, corn dogs and hot dogs can be found at Dogs n' Taters (by RiverRush) and hot dogs/nachos/BBQ sandwiches can be found at one of the other stands by the wave pool (the name escapes me). The park also has several Dippin' Dots stands (since DW switched back to them this season), as I said, pretty good selection for a water park!

I would go into it expecting it to be quite crowded, being a holiday coupled with the last day of the season. Now, the weather forecast may change that if its bad (I haven't looked yet, this far out it wouldn't be reliable anyway). Everything should be in tip-top shape and operations should be flowing just fine simply because it is a holiday and the park should be fully staffed.

Splash Country actually has a pretty good variety of food for a water park when compared to when it first opened. Admittedly, the selection isn't as good as Dollywood, but that's to be expected. Burgers/Fries/Chicken/Pizza/Salads/Wraps can be found at Campsite Grill and Miss Mamies (same large building in the middle of the park), Tacos and taco salads can be found at High Country (by the wave pool), Funnel sticks can be found by the main fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, corn dogs and hot dogs can be found at Dogs n' Taters (by RiverRush) and hot dogs/nachos/BBQ sandwiches can be found at one of the other stands by the wave pool (the name escapes me). The park also has several Dippin' Dots stands (since DW switched back to them this season), as I said, pretty good selection for a water park!

I'm mainly interested in getting a few rides in on River Rush. I assume that's where everyone will head right at opening, so I'm hoping to be on the front edge of that crowd & get a couple rides in before the line gets long. How long has that line been getting this season?

As to the food, my big concern was that the restaurants would be running out of stock, given that it's the last operating day.

I'm mainly interested in getting a few rides in on River Rush. I assume that's where everyone will head right at opening, so I'm hoping to be on the front edge of that crowd & get a couple rides in before the line gets long. How long has that line been getting this season?

As to the food, my big concern was that the restaurants would be running out of stock, given that it's the last operating day.

While the lines haven't been as long as they were last year, I would expect it to be the longest line in the park, so your action plan would likely work. As for food stock, I wouldn't worry about that. Anything left over will simply be sent over to Dollywood.

River Rush was closed when we went a couple of weeks ago. Might want to check before you go if it is the only reason you are going.

Not sure if anyone of you would know this, but I've been looking for a good soundtrack from Mystery Mine and all I have found is the station music. If anyone knows where I could find the ride show sound effects (especially the second lift), I would be very grateful. Most of the recordings are from the ride itself and the very loud lift mechanisms overpower the sound effects themselves. Else, if someone knows where the soundtrack from the second lift originated from that would be equally helpful. The following clip shows the part I'm asking about (1m55s):

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Dollywood posted this picture of the new restaurant in the resort called "The Farmhouse" If you zoom in you see there are dinosaur skeletons (or what I think are dinosaur skeletons) on the plates. What do you think they are?

image.jpg.010051098df8f6e8e42ac0bc4453c98f.jpg

Dinosaurs?!?!?

image.thumb.jpg.62ab5a221acc2fe3f22e11159fd08ed6.jpg

It looks really nice and homey.

• 2 weeks later...

So Screamscape is reporting clearing work being done on the left side of the passage up to Thunderhead/Timber Canyon area.

Roughly in the area in the picture. Its been discussed that 2015 would be a big project for Splash Country, and 2016 would be a big project for Dollywood, so maybe this is a head start. Or maybe its a theatre, hard to know at this point.

1686060763_dollywood2014clearing.jpg.3723c4727105e40532177b94a28bac49.jpg

green is outline of clearing area. Red is the power lines seen in the pics on Screamscape, for reference.

A friend of mine was at the park recently and said the rumor of the Rockin Roadway removal has surfaced once again. It was speculated that the 2015 season will be it's last to operate. How would that correlate to the earth moving behind the tram station? What's interesting to see is that they seem to be stripping almost everything away, trees and all. Perhaps it's only going to be a new employee parking area, if it can be leveled out enough.

Ur not the first to mention the removal of rockin roadway but Dollywood, I would think, would want to build up their new area so I don't see it. The new area is supposed to be behind the timber canyon area so I would think this would be the area of the new ride but who knows

It's possible this clearing is for the new trolley system that will go back and forth to the DreamMore Resort. The parking lot adjacent to this clearing is typically used for tour bus drop off and parking, I think. I believe early entry was to be one of DreamMore's perks, so I could see them having a separate entry and trolley station to make that work.

I was re-reading a local article about the announcement of the DreamMore resort and the $300 million investments over the next ten years and this stood out about future announcements...

Craig Ross, Dollywood company president, said the $300 million investment is more than the company has invested in its Pigeon Forge properties in the 28 years since Dollywood was founded.

Ross said about half of the $300 million will be spent on the resort and the other half on other rides and amenities, some of which have yet to be determined. About this time each year, the company will announce what additions it plans to make to its properties in the coming year, he said.

This was published on Aug, 22, 2013, So this would likely mean there will be an announcement sooner than later.

www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/dollywood-plans-300m-expansion