TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Dollywood Trip Report: Went to Dollywood yesterday, May 18, 2014. We drove 4 1/2 hours there, stayed from opening to close and drove 4 1/2 hours home. It was a very long day...But worth it for Dollywood. The park is still as beautiful as ever, It nearly rivals Busch Gardens Williamsburg...I might say Dollywood is a close 2nd place in my opinion. I've came to this park several times, but yesterday was by far the most crowded I've ever experienced. I believe the best time to visit is in March...May is just crazy! We didn't get to ride much, lines were long and operations on the Mystery Mine is just horrid. We waited for 30 minutes and maybe moved an inch. We got out of line and noticed they were running like one car every five minutes. It was like that every time we walked by, so we didn't get to ride it...But we rode it last year so I still got my credit. Thunderhead had a one train operation too for most of the day yesterday so it was running slow also. We hit it early so we got two rides in on it. Finally got my credit for Firechaser Express...By far the best family coaster I've been on. It has some very thrilling moments and all around a great addition to the park. Wild Eagle is still the best ride in the park and by far the best Wing Rider B&M has ever built in America. I've rode both Gatekeeper and X-Flight and neither compare to Wild Eagle...It is simply just awesome. Blazing Fury needs to turn up the volume on some of their sets...All the characters seem like they are mumbling...But I still enjoy the ride. We didn't get to ride much else. We waited an hour just to eat at their buffet. If you're planning to go to Dollywood this summer, try to avoid Saturday and Sundays...Seriously...It's just way over crowded. But I don't blame people, Dollywood is an awesome park with some awesome rides and awesome people. Food's not bad either.

My wife and I went on Monday, May 5th. The new firechaser express had riders stuck near the walkway for what seemed like a very long time and I never saw the people that were stranded moved and I also never saw it operate. We even rode the train that runs behind this coaster and I never once saw the trains running. Sounds like a problem and I hope it isn't similar to the Timber Topper ride that Dollywood sued over! One disappointment is that the shows have been the same the last several years and my wife is disabled and unable to ride the rides but we still love the atmosphere and the home cooked southern food and the cinnamon bread is awesome!

^Timber Topper was at Opryland in Nashville. Curious what you're onto here.

He's probably referring to "Timber Tower" which was removed from Dollywood for the 2012 season. Easy mistake to make.

^Timber Topper was at Opryland in Nashville. Curious what you're onto here.

He's probably referring to "Timber Tower" which was removed from Dollywood for the 2012 season. Easy mistake to make.

That's what I meant.

Been lucky with firechaser. Been there two times this season and both times it's been running like a champ. I totally agree on shows though. It seems a waste to have the main entrance theatre which looks so inviting now simply have a gospel group. I'm sure they are good but it seems like there could be so much more. I'd love to see another show (or two)like dreamland with a "plot". That's really unusual in theme park shows. Even some of the old opryland shows (Me and my gal.) could be revived here. I'd like to see a show that more more about all styles of American music or the idea of the old Opryland show of award winning songs. Would be cool since dolly has been in movies,won Grammies, cma and also been represented on Broadway. Also seems odd that heart song and magic playhouse (or whatever the kids show is) share a theatre. The heart song idea could be much cooler if it had a secluded"wooded" entrance in craftsman valley. Would fit the show better and it could run almost continuously as more of an attraction than show.

Went to Dollywood this weekend for Thrills in the Hills and learned a few things. First, water isn't coming back to Blazing Fury, but they are trying to add new effects (in additions to the lasers). Also, Blazing Fury has a completely updated control system and new effects and characters (see trip report: CLICK HERE.) I also learned Dreamland Drive-In isn't going away anytime soon either although, the Paul Couch (Entertainment Director) told us that new shows were always in the works. FireChaser Express was running fine on Friday and on Saturday during ERT so they might have cleared up the problem. To top off my day, I got to see Vince Gill and the Timejumpers, so that was cool.

I saw this posted on Dollywood Facebook. It looks really nice.

Dollywood's DreamMore Resort will open in the summer of 2015! What do you think of the conceptual rendering of our lobby? Looks like a great place for families to relax and enjoy a magnificent view of Mt. LeConte.

image.jpg.cda67a64cce0d5653b67f52672326bd7.jpg

^ That looks super-nice.

It looks more "up-scale" than I thought it would. I know the resort will be upscale, but I figured the "theming" of it would be a little more "homey." I love it!

Does anyone have any insight into why Mystery Mine's fire effect hasn't (by all accounts) been working at all this year? I find this very disappointing as last year I thought it was an awesome effect that really made for a memorable finale to the ride.

The resort concept art looks charming! I figured Dollywood's first resort would be a bit more of a "moderate" hotel but this looks like it could be more like a "deluxe," which I believe could be a great fit for the park!

Well I finally got my Firechaser Express credit today. It's a good thing that I got on it first thing after the park opened because sometime after 11:00 it went down and I only saw it have one test run the rest of the day. I hope they can get it straightened out and we don't have another Timber Tower on our hands.

Well I finally got my Firechaser Express credit today. It's a good thing that I got on it first thing after the park opened because sometime after 11:00 it went down and I only saw it have one test run the rest of the day. I hope they can get it straightened out and we don't have another Timber Tower on our hands
I was present when it went down this morning. It was due to a leak in the air gate system. It was back up within an hour or two and ran for the rest of the day with a 15 minute downtime due to a nearby storm. It was also running all day yesterday - wouldn't worry too much.

Well I finally got my Firechaser Express credit today. It's a good thing that I got on it first thing after the park opened because sometime after 11:00 it went down and I only saw it have one test run the rest of the day. I hope they can get it straightened out and we don't have another Timber Tower on our hands.

"Timber Tower on our hands"?!? It's a brand new ride and it will have its kinks to be worked out but the ride has not had THAT much downtime, to even begin a comparison to Timber Tower.

I was present when it went down this morning. It was due to a leak in the air gate system. It was back up within an hour or two and ran for the rest of the day with a 15 minute downtime due to a nearby storm. It was also running all day yesterday - wouldn't worry too much.

And there you go.

Edited by ernierocker

I wasn't aware of any storms in the area as none of the rides I went on were down because of one. I tried to ride Firechaser Express two other times between 12:00 and 4:00 and it wasn't running either of those times. I only saw one train running without any passengers on it. I thought I remember several posts on here saying that Firechaser was down for different reasons this season. I could be wrong though. I'm deeply sorry if I am.

Finally got to visit the park(s) this past week (Thu-Sat). Impressions from a first-time vistor:

--The three-day park-hopper ticket is the way to go (if you're going to be in Pigeon Forge for two days or more).

--BTW, Pigeon Forge might be an even bigger tourist-attraction freak show than Las Vegas.

--Out of all the parks I've ever visited, Dollywood ties with Busch Gardens Williamsburg and sits just under Disneyland for its capabilities to truly transport its guests. Amazing, well-detailed immersive experience with an astounding setting.

--Splash Country is definitely the best water park I've ever patronized. Couldn't get enough of River Rush and the Big Bear Plunge.

--Thoroughly appreciated the care Dollywood takes in theming and designing its coasters. Mystery Mine, in particular, was a stunner.

--Firechaser was a blast (har), though it was the only major coaster I didn't re-ride due to the backwards element making me feel a little woozy. Related: I began to grey out on both Tennessee Tornado and Wild Eagle, both of which I nonetheless loved.

--Stoked about the price of the Q2Q "fast pass" system Dollywood uses. Though we could have gotten by without using it, we sure did appreciate it.

--I never see shows, but I caught "My People" and -- occasional hokey-ness aside -- was glad I did. Bummed we just missed getting into the Chasing Rainbows museum.

--Friendliness of staff rivaled only by Cedar Point, IMHO. I nearly came up with excuses to talk to them because they were so nice and charming.

--Eating half a loaf of Cinnamon Bread sidelined my coaster-riding for over four hours. That stuff just sits in your stomach!

--I probably won't get to go again anytime soon, but I can't wait for some future attractions to expedite a return.

--Sorta unrelated: Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster is BADASS.

Finally got to visit the park(s) this past week (Thu-Sat). Impressions from a first-time vistor:

--The three-day park-hopper ticket is the way to go (if you're going to be in Pigeon Forge for two days or more).

--BTW, Pigeon Forge might be an even bigger tourist-attraction freak show than Las Vegas.

--Out of all the parks I've ever visited, Dollywood ties with Busch Gardens Williamsburg and sits just under Disneyland for its capabilities to truly transport its guests. Amazing, well-detailed immersive experience with an astounding setting.

--Splash Country is definitely the best water park I've ever patronized. Couldn't get enough of River Rush and the Big Bear Plunge.

--Thoroughly appreciated the care Dollywood takes in theming and designing its coasters. Mystery Mine, in particular, was a stunner.

--Firechaser was a blast (har), though it was the only major coaster I didn't re-ride due to the backwards element making me feel a little woozy. Related: I began to grey out on both Tennessee Tornado and Wild Eagle, both of which I nonetheless loved.

--Stoked about the price of the Q2Q "fast pass" system Dollywood uses. Though we could have gotten by without using it, we sure did appreciate it.

--I never see shows, but I caught "My People" and -- occasional hokey-ness aside -- was glad I did. Bummed we just missed getting into the Chasing Rainbows museum.

--Friendliness of staff rivaled only by Cedar Point, IMHO. I nearly came up with excuses to talk to them because they were so nice and charming.

--Eating half a loaf of Cinnamon Bread sidelined my coaster-riding for over four hours. That stuff just sits in your stomach!

--I probably won't get to go again anytime soon, but I can't wait for some future attractions to expedite a return.

--Sorta unrelated: Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster is BADASS.

Oh yeah I rode that Alpine Coaster last fall when I went to TN, that was awesome except there was a lady a few clicks in front of me half way through the ride so I couldn't go full speed lolz.

I drove by the Alpine Coaster when I was up there last week, but did not have time or money to do it this trip.

Had two awesome days at Dollywood Monday and Tuesday...my two favorite coasters there, Wild Eagle and Thunderhead, were walk-ons both days, and Firechaser Express impressed me. A perfect family coaster and a great fit for the park, they really did a great job.

Someone else mentioned Mystery Mine's fire effect not working, it was not working on Monday or Tuesday last week either of the times that I rode...