TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I know there are supposed to be eventual plans for the train loop, but I am thinking that they might be looking at a different area. This is just a guess on my part, but I have this suspicion that they could be planning to add a new major attraction on the County Fair side of the park and bring more to that area. What if they re-did the area, and added both a new wooden coaster and some type of family ride as part of the package?

They already have IMHO a fantastic variety of coasters, and with Firechaser Express that only improves. I think that if 2016 is another coaster that it will be something noteworthy, and then afterwards, they would take a break on any more coasters for a few years and focus on dark rides or flat rides.

Regardless of where/what it is, I feel certain that their next major coaster will be an RMC/their own version of Outlaw Run. But you never know what they might do. A terrain based B&M hyper or invert would be cool, but I don't know if they would go that route so soon following Wild Eagle. Whatever it is-I am sure it will be something that "fits" as well as all of the recent additions in that it will be something accessible across a wide age and height range and strikes a great balance.

I'm willing to bet the 2015 Splash Country attraction is going to be a ProSlide SuperLOOP considering WhiteWater in Branson is getting one in 2014.

I wouldn't think the 2016 attraction would be another coaster, but I really can't think of any other possible attraction that would cost as much as Wild Eagle.

I haven't been to Dollywood (yet - changing that this summer) so I don't really know the layout of the place, but isn't every major coaster minus Tennessee Tornado in the same area? Seems so odd to keep adding new coasters all next to each other, including whatever ends up at the top of the train loop, but then again I've never been so maybe it works for them!

I haven't been to Dollywood (yet - changing that this summer) so I don't really know the layout of the place, but isn't every major coaster minus Tennessee Tornado in the same area? Seems so odd to keep adding new coasters all next to each other, including whatever ends up at the top of the train loop, but then again I've never been so maybe it works for them!

Every coaster in the park minus blazing fury and sideshow spin are in the same area. That's why whatever is coming to the park should go in a different area, hopefully on the left side of the park off of that long pathway. That area has pretty much no attractions and that would make the area a whole lot better and more desirable to even go down!

Every coaster in the park minus blazing fury and sideshow spin are in the same area. That's why whatever is coming to the park should go in a different area, hopefully on the left side of the park off of that long pathway. That area has pretty much no attractions and that would make the area a whole lot better and more desirable to even go down!

The coasters are hardly bunched together at Dollywood. It's not like Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado are right next to each other. In fact, it is a pretty good haul between the two coasters. And how strange that you didn't include Blazing Fury in this "same area" as it's adjacent to Tennessee Tornado and Wild Eagle.

The coasters are located where they are at mainly due to the park's terrain. Remember, Thunderhead and Mystery Mine were completely cut off from Tennessee Tornado until they built Wilderness Pass. The other sections of the parks near the front of the park do not have a lot of flat land for large attractions. Therefore, they have mainly housed the smaller attractions, shows, restaurants, etc. It makes more sense at this time to expand "up the mountain" where there is larger available space for expansion. Not to say that the park can't fit a major attraction into the older sections of the parks. They just don't need to at this time.

Parks can always change their plans, but it has already been stated by management that the park is expanding towards the train loop. This was the park's main excuse for closing Adventure Mountain as it blocked the path that would be needed to reach this new area. Dollywood is wanting to appeal to the thrill seekers as well as their traditional clientele. Keeping the thrill rides in the back while keeping the traditional aspects of the park intact in the front makes sense to me. This isn't much different than the setup at SDC.

Edited by ernierocker

The coasters are hardly bunched together at Dollywood. It's not like Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado are right next to each other. In fact, it is a pretty good haul between the two coasters. And how strange that you didn't include Blazing Fury in this "same area" as it's adjacent to Tennessee Tornado and Wild Eagle.

The coasters are located where they are at mainly due to the park's terrain. Remember, Thunderhead and Mystery Mine were completely cut off from Tennessee Tornado until they built Wilderness Pass. The other sections of the parks near the front of the park do not have a lot of flat land for large attractions. Therefore, they have mainly housed the smaller attractions, shows, restaurants, etc. It makes more sense at this time to expand "up the mountain" where there is larger available space for expansion. Not to say that the park can't fit a major attraction into the older sections of the parks. They just don't need to at this time.

Ok, Blazing Fury maybe, but its still a decent walk from there to Tennessee Tornado. About the same distance from Wild Eagle to Mystery Mine. Have you been to Dollywood? The back of the park is loaded with the coasters so close to each other that you can just go down the line and hit them all in a row. I wouldn't throw Blazing Fury in that clump of coasters, however I see where you make your argument.

Um yeah, dude. I have been to the park...

Wild Eagle, Tennessee tornado and Blazing Fury are directly next to each other. Mystery Mine is on the exact opposite end of Wilderness Path. Look at Google Earth, please don't argue about this anymore as you are posting incorrect facts and confusing other forum members that haven't been to the park.

I like the park how it is currently laid out. Wilderness pass is pretty bare so to have the coasters over there helps to fill that side of the park where putting a coaster in Craftsmen valley could really hurt the charm on that side of the park. Having Blazing Fury there is a bonus since it blends in great with the rest of the area.

(Spider Man cost $200+ million though if you can believe it!)

No it didn't. Spider-man came in at a lot closer to $100 million.

Even Forbidden Journey was less than $100 million.

Disney dark rides on the other hand, rarely fall under a $100 million any more, with rides like Radiator Springs Racers pushing $200 million. That has more to do with the different ways the companies are set up than the actual attractions themselves.

Don't expect Dollywood to ever add anything that expensive though. There are a lot better ways the park could spend $100 million.

Now as far as this mystery attraction, I don't think a RMC is out of the question. The price doesn't exactly have to match Wild Eagle at $20 million. When you factor in themeing, a new train station, and a new esplanade for the ride, that $10-12 million Outlaw Run cost, quickly balloons to $16-20 million. Also keep in mind that Outlaw Run is a pretty short ride, and if they wanted to spend the money, they could add a couple more thousand feet of track, raising the price again.

I googled this and researched it on another TPR forum and the general consensus was that the price was around $200 million. Just quoting the facts I read.

Personally I like the way the park is set up. Separating the smaller rides and attractions from the thrill ride area at the back of the park allows you to hit all the major rides before the rest of the park visitors get there. That's my strategy, get there at opening time and them start at Thunderhead or Mystery Mine and work your way around. Sometimes it's a solid hour before the back starts getting crowded, and by then I've gotten two to three rides each on each of the big coasters and am ready to do some smaller and less crowded rides like Barnstormer.

I googled this and researched it on another TPR forum and the general consensus was that the price was around $200 million. Just quoting the facts I read.

There's just no way. That was what? 15 years ago? I understand that the software to do the moving 3D was expensive, but besides that, there really isn't anything overly complicated with the ride. Motion simulators have been done, the sets are great, but nothing overly crazy, and while the screens are impressive in scale, they are just screens.

Now as far as this mystery attraction, I don't think a RMC is out of the question. The price doesn't exactly have to match Wild Eagle at $20 million. When you factor in themeing, a new train station, and a new esplanade for the ride, that $10-12 million Outlaw Run cost, quickly balloons to $16-20 million. Also keep in mind that Outlaw Run is a pretty short ride, and if they wanted to spend the money, they could add a couple more thousand feet of track, raising the price again.

This is what I was thinking as well. As you said, the price may not an exact amount, but just "in that general ballpark". And if it was around the same cost, the $20 million would not only be for the coaster but the surrounding area, and it is not a stretch to imagine that they might want to go a little longer with the layout or add something unique to it which has not yet been done. Regardless of what 2016 will bring (and knowing this park, I know it will not disappoint), I am just looking forward to Firechaser Express + all of the existing rides and attractions in 2014 and the resort in 2015!

There's just no way. That was what? 15 years ago? I understand that the software to do the moving 3D was expensive, but besides that, there really isn't anything overly complicated with the ride. Motion simulators have been done, the sets are great, but nothing overly crazy, and while the screens are impressive in scale, they are just screens.

R&D, man. R&D. Spidey was a monumental accomplishment from a technical standpoint. The amount of money invested just trying to figure out how to initially get everything together and working is massive, let alone the actual construction and troubleshooting prior to opening.

Okay, but we're still talking about 1990s money. Forbidden Journey's got a lot more groundbreaking technology and that ride barely hit $100 million. And that was in 2010 money.

Find me a source that says it ran anywhere near $200 million and we'll talk.

And then how about we don't talk about it anymore unless someone does find a source.

Edited by ernierocker

Um yeah, dude. I have been to the park...

Wild Eagle, Tennessee tornado and Blazing Fury are directly next to each other. Mystery Mine is on the exact opposite end of Wilderness Path. Look at Google Earth, please don't argue about this anymore as you are posting incorrect facts and confusing other forum members that haven't been to the park.

And to add to your previous post, the park is attending by many older people who probably prefer to stay in the front half of the park and avoid the hillier parts. A big coaster in the front area of the park would harm that quiet area also

Yeah and if you look at the front of the park you will see there is absolutely no room for any major coaster. All the attractions and shops are crammed too close together. About the only thing that could fit might be a wild mouse or small spinning coaster in the fair section, and that's only if several rides were relocated or removed.

I honestly wouldn't mind this because honestly, the only ride I visit the Country Fair for is Dizzy Disk. I know they redid some of the area in the mid 2000s, but it is just looking a little rough around the edges. Many rides, buildings, and signs have faded paint or even patches of rust, and they all seem tamed down too much. They could redo it again with some thrill rides like you'd see at a real fair and add a small wild mouse, or go the other way and turn it into an all out kid's themed area. How does Kiddiewood sound for a name?

There was a "fun house" in the big house on top of the mountain by the train station. It was "inventors mansion" and had optical illusions and not quite "scary" fun house elements. I wish they would use the house as a facade for a fun "haunted mansion" dark ride. Would be a fun addition - maybe even a Velcoma spinning house like Houdini ride at six flags. I also like to see a dark ride based on the Imagination Library were stores "come to life" would be an awesome family dark ride theme and really draw attention to this important initiative for Dolly. Perfect fit where using your "imagination" stories come to life - that might work in that area using the bug house