TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ I was stating how Dollywood is advertising the coaster. You know everyone has to have a new coaster/ride that does something first.

From Dollywoods website - so they are only talking about the US.

It’s the FireChaser Express – the nation's first dual launch family coaster – blasting riders forward and backward!

I noticed Screamscape had an interesting tidbit this morning where Pete Owens was talking about the future of Dollywood in 2015-16:

"He says they are already looking into a new attraction for Splash Country in 2015, and for a major new attraction to come to Dollywood in 2016 that will be in the same price range as Wild Eagle. So we’re talking about something in the $20 million price range… so the future looks very bright for Dollywood indeed!"

Anyone have any ideas what these two new attractions could be? Could Dollywood really be getting another major coaster only two years after Firechaser? Maybe part of the expansion plan is to open a new coaster every two years. If so, I am excited beyond belief!

Honestly, I don't really have any ideas for Splash Country. They'll probably just get another slide complex, there's so many different kinds.

As for Dollywood, I had been hoping that for 2015 they'd install the long-rumored replacement for Timber Tower. You'd think it would be high on their priority list since that area looks bare after they removed TT. Oh well, who knows what their plans are for the area.

My first obvious guess for the new coaster would be RMC woodie. I'm sure they were keeping an eye on Outlaw Run and now have given the greenlight for the designing process to begin. My other choice and wish would be a megacoaster. I know the park would be pressed for space to put in a typical mile long mega coaster, but one thought is that they could put the station somewhere between Thunderhead and the entrance to Timber Canyon and make the coaster go out along the parking lot, like SFOG did with Goliath. Either way I'm good. An invert would be fantastic, although I don't see Dollywood installing something that intense. Maybe though they'll realize that they could attract a whole new group to the park and install an intense, less family friendly ride, but that's unlikely.

Aside from the coaster, one thing I really hope this expansion plan includes is a refurbishment of some of the park's older attractions, like Daredevil Falls and River Rampage. DF could really use the Timber Mountain Log Ride treatment. RR just needs a total makeover. You hardly get wet at all compared to other rapids rides such as the ones at Busch Gardens and SFOG. Just some thoughts.

Edited by djcarrell

Cold we potentially be seeing another B&M added? Those will often cost around 20 million. An inverted coaster maybe? Or do you think they'll choose to go with airtime and install a hyper coaster? Or maybe you're right, and they'll go with another woodie. But those won't reach the 20 million price limit, even if it is from RMC. That's why I think it'll be a B&M.

Didn't Outlaw Run only cost around $12 million? And i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it didn't cost $8 million for ground work and theming. But I do see where you're coming from, they could very well simply just make it taller and longer than Outlaw Run and that might bring them up to the 20 mil price tag. But despite that, and even though I would love that, I don't think that Dollywood will necessarily choose that. But they could! Who knows?

It was way back in 2006, but one of those attraction surveys that was once posted on Screamscape had the option of a Rock-and-Roll themed wooden coaster in Jukebox Junction. So it seems that at least back then they were considering a second wooden coaster. And having the price in the same range as Wild Eagle doesn't mean it'd need to be exactly the same price; it could be somewhat less.

I wonder if the park actually need another B&M or a RMC already?

Isn't it meant for families to go and do stuff together? Seems to me like Firechaser Express is the absolute right way to go coaster wise for this park.

Don't get me wrong, I would love another big ride for this park, but can't Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, Mystery Mine and Tennesse Tornado handle the thrill seeker demand?

Seems to me that Firechaser express will be the parks first real high quality family coaster, and that more of those should be added. (Intamin ATV anyone? )

Edited by _koppen

Now that's an idea I didn't even consider. $20 million is well within the price range for a good dark ride (Spider Man cost $200+ million though if you can believe it!) But would they add another dark ride? After all, both Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury, while technically coasters, have many dark ride elements to them.

Now that's an idea I didn't even consider. $20 million is well within the price range for a good dark ride (Spider Man cost $200+ million though if you can believe it!) But would they add another dark ride? After all, both Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury, while technically coasters, have many dark ride elements to them.

There is no reason they wouldn't add another one. Lol.

I'm just going to throw this out there. What if Dollywood isn't adding a coaster, but a dark ride!

I've been thinking this too. While a new Rocky Mountain coaster would be nice, does Dollywood really need any more coasters at this point? I've only visited the park once (in 2010), and even without Wild Eagle and FireChaser Express I still thought their lineup was excellent. Add those two coasters and there really isn't much missing.

On the other hand, I don't recall Dollywood having a standard dark ride (Blazing Fury is kind of a dark ride, but certainly not a typical one), so that would be a very good investment for the park. I'm guessing $20 million can buy a pretty good dark ride and that would probably be a great fit for the park.

I definetely would call Blazing Fury more of a dark ride than coaster, but a good traditional dark ride would be excellent in the park. Couldn't you imagine something like Soarin' in the park? Soarin' Over The Smokies. That would be cool. In fact, i'm willing to bet that the attraction would be something like that as opposed to something like Curse of Darkastle or a shooting dark ride. But knowing Dollywood, it will most likely be innovative in some way!

Edited by CPSFMMCW