TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Thats a pretty standard structural thing to do, deeper where you need it to be and shallow at the ends. Saves material and.... Saves connections. Two parallel chords would need two connections to the columns, this looks like one at each column, much easier to erect.

Thats a pretty standard structural thing to do, deeper where you need it to be and shallow at the ends. Saves material and.... Saves connections. Two parallel chords would need two connections to the columns, this looks like one at each column, much easier to erect.

To add to this, here's another example of an upside-down truss similar to the one on Firechaser Express.

My friend and I visited last Monday and had a great time. This was our first visit during Christmas and the whole park was absolutely beautiful. Lines for rides were nonexistent--everything was practically a walk-on from the minute the park opened until around 7:30 when all of the coasters finally had to close due to low temperatures (36 degrees, would you believe it!). We only saw a couple of the shows because they were absolutely packed, but they were good despite a few technical problems during both.

The aspect I really want to comment on though is the staff. The staff at Dollywood, from ride hosts, to food services, to good ol' folks working in the assorted shops, was simply amazing. Everyone was incredibly nice, helpful, and cheery. And the coaster crews were sending out trains faster than I could have ever hoped. We were very impressed and can't wait to go back next year.

The employees at Dollywood are right up there with Disney employees, and sometimes even better.

From my personal experience DW and SDC staff are astoundingly better than the Disney Staff. It really is awesome.

The employees at Dollywood are right up there with Disney employees, and sometimes even better.

I'll never forget my first visit to Disney. A friend of mine who used to be a CM put it best at one of the rides: "they aren't here to be your best friend, their only concern is capacity" and boy was she right. I greatly missed the personal touch that I feel we often deliver at Dollywood.

One of my favorite theme park memories was winding up in the basement of some random wood carving shop at SDC. The husband and wife working there gave me a personal lesson on wood carving into pencils. I spent about an hour in there just going back and forth with the guy, doing different techniques and making different characters on the side of a regular old pencil. It was one of those "did that really happen moments" when I looked back on it later. Totally random, but definitely something that wouldn't logistically happen in Orlando or Anaheim.

Fire Chaser Express really is looking nice. SDC and DW seem to theme their rides outstandingly so I expect no less from this. When the ride was first announced I wasn't thrilled but as i've seen progress of it's construction it looks really nice and would love to get back there to ride it. Younger people are going to love a ride that's wll themed but not too intense.

I'll never forget my first visit to Disney. A friend of mine who used to be a CM put it best at one of the rides: "they aren't here to be your best friend, their only concern is capacity" and boy was she right. I greatly missed the personal touch that I feel we often deliver at Dollywood.

I think the employees at Herschend parks are great, but I think it is wrong to say the ones at Disney don't care about their guests. Of course one of their concerns is capacity, because they need to get the rides moving swiftly in order not to create a huge line. But they also want the guests to feel welcome, and the employees at both Herschend and Disney do a great job at that.

I think the employees at Herschend parks are great, but I think it is wrong to say the ones at Disney don't care about their guests. Of course one of their concerns is capacity, because they need to get the rides moving swiftly in order not to create a huge line. But they also want the guests to feel welcome, and the employees at both Herschend and Disney do a great job at that.

I wasn't calling out the entire organization by any stretch of the imagination! There are great, welcoming employees at Disney, for sure. My point was the ride attendants in general don't even speak to guests aside from giving instruction, as their primary concern is operation and capacity. Nothing wrong with that given their crowds, but it was different than what I was used to in my experiences.