TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I went to Dollywood this year and had an awesome time. I'd love to go back next year and check this coaster out and also work in the water park too. With Dollywood only being a 4 hour drive away for me, I should really just go ahead and buy a season pass. Wow...all it took was them building a kiddie coaster to make me finally realize this.

That's what I do at SFOG, I buy a season pass. You said Dollywood is a 4hr Drive (Six flags is 3 for me) but being so far I almost always have to get a room.. The season pass allows me to make a weekend trip out of it instead of a day. With you wanting to do splash country, I would get a super pass.. Spend one weekend here with one day at dollywood and one day at splash country and your pass is paid for!! Then you might be able to spend a half a day on the day you plan to go home or on the day you arrive depending on your trip plans!. I do that at SFOG! Extra bonus time and with a season pass I don't feel bad only spending 2 or 3 hours on the day I plan to come home!

Edited by dstephe9

That looks a lot more impressive than I originally thought it was going to be. For some reason, I was expecting the ride to be fairly small and tame, but Firechaser Express looks like a great family attraction. Hopefully we see similar coasters open up at other parks, although, on the other hand, it would also be cool if this remains a one of a kind attraction. If for no other reason than to give me another reason to return to Dollywood.

This looks fantastic! It reminds me of Th13teen a bit...minus all of the obnoxious marketing, of course.

It's funny, this was marketed as a family coaster and ended up greatly exceeding my expectations. Th13teen, on the other hand, was marketed as the scariest thing ever created and ended up disappointing me. Strange, huh?

I honestly think this could be the most needed addition for Dollywood for the longest time! When I was there in August I spoke to some families in queue lines and a lot of them said they didn't like the park because it wasn't as family friendly as they'd have liked it to be, and I think this will make that do a big fat 180. This is the perfect family ride. Everybody can ride it without getting the wits scared out of them but the adrenaline junkies/enthusiasts will get a kick out of it as well.

I also think it's a great theme selection. The wildfire theme works well with the Wilderness Pass area (I love that it's not as cartoony as River Battle like I was expecting) and kids love firefighters. It also looks nice weaving around the Adventure Mountain structure and I like how they're keeping the waterfalls for it. Though I can't help but feel like maybe AM was a temporary installation just to get the structures up for this one. They ripped the thing out quite quickly (I actually saw a piece of it sitting in the boneyard behind Thunderhead when I rode in August) but left most of it. That or they realized it was a money pit that nobody cared for and just designed around it; either way it's spectacular.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the section between launch one and the lift. It feels like they just jammed a kiddie coaster into the layout for some pointless reason. But the rest looks great!

Looks like that picture is taking into account the upper train loop. Good to know that they're still planning on that expansion. But it also looks like they're going to go in the other direction eventually too. Back along the ridge towards MM.

I've never been to Dollywood, but this ride is making me want to go! It looks like a perfect family ride- not too fast, but with lots of different elements to keep things interesting. It looks like it would be a total laugh fest. I've never seen a ride animation that screams "pure, silly fun" before, but man, do I need to get down to Tennessee at some point now.

^ I recommend that as soon as it is feasibly possible for you, get to Dollywood! It is such an amazing park, with phenomenal rides and attractions, and one of the most beautiful parks I've been to. The food is out of this world! Its been several years since I have been and I want to go back so bad! In fact, this will be the 4th new Roller Coaster Dollywood has built since I have been able to return. I cant tell you how much that hurts lol!

This is what coasters should be. Not trying to over-hype gimmicks, but using sheer intensity and thrills to make a ride accessible to the younger crowd. FireChaser Express may become the new standard in family thrill rides.

Of course, it won't be the best coaster out there, but this ride seems to make perfect sense for any park lacking demographic-spanning rides.

EDIT: And 6 airtime moments? I think we were all excited to hear that!

Maybe if Alton Towers had advertised Thirteen like this as a decent family coaster instead of the way they had, it would have been better received by a lot more enthusiasts.

Both BGW with Verbolten and Dollywood have handled this well.

Edited by cfc