TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I kinda look at it being a shuttle with a twist. Its not a complete, full shuttle and you take the same path to start and finish the coaster. I dont have permission to used the illustration on this page, http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3911&start=30 , but I guess it gives a good possiblilty of how it will turn out.

I hope the next big addition will be somewhere near the front of the park. I've been wanting to see something to change the skyline up there for quite some time. Hopefully 2016 will bring a nice RMC creation somewhere near (but not connected to, of course) the County Fair section. Thoughts?

^I think they are going to focus the $150 million/10y.p. on Wilderness Pass and then a new path going up towards the upper train loop and developing it. Country Fair and the Village are completely jam packed with stuff, and i don't think a coaster can go over the railroad tracks b/c the exhaust from the coal train would be deadly. But you never know with Dollywood. I could see a little Mack bob sled coaster or spinner coaster shoe-horned in next to the Rockin Roadway. But a RMC coaster would certainly need a lot of space and there really isn't any in Country Fair, the Village, the 50's area, or any area towards the front of the park. I would say that would be unlikely to happen. OTOH, the area between Thunderhead and the parking lot could be an option...its currently undeveloped and the train makes a u-shaped turn, which leaves a lot of potentially available space to put a coaster in.

I think Pete mentioned in the podcast that the Coaster launched out and did some twists and turns stuff before encountering a "lift". This statement alone makes me think that it cannot be a true shuttle. He also mentioned a "show building" which is the obvious place for the track switch.

Edited by bkwjjm

That's so strange!

So, it goes backward to the top of the first lift, then goes through the entire circuit twice forward, then goes through the circuit once backward? I'm so confused!

From my understanding...the lift, station, show building and final brakes are all blocks. That's 4blocks so with 3 trains its gonna be smooth sailing. I def consider it a shuttle even with a lift. All the boomerangs and several other shuttles have lifts. This one just does a "detour" during the course!

Looking at the stats again. I just realized the length of FireChaser Express is 2,427 feet. That's on the longer side for a family coaster!

For some perspective, Powder Keg is 3,506 feet, and most of Gerstlauer's other family coasters are less than 1000 feet long. This should be a decent sized coaster!

I was wondering as I haven't been on a wing rider yet, does Wild Eagle have big Boy seats? I'll be there next Wednesday and I am a inch short on a standard B&M seat. Can't be too sad though as I'm so close to my first weight loss goal which is a standard B&M seat! I've upped my working out and diet just in case but it's unpredictable. I was hoping they have big boy seats. (just in case)

I'm thinking about heading down to Dollywood this Saturday. Any idea what the lines might be this time of year? Also, any suggestions for good places to eat at and anything else that I should know as a first time visitor? Thanks in advance!

I'm gonna be heading to Dollywood the week of Oct 14-18 (not sure which day yet) while my family's vacationing in Murphy, NC. It'll just be me, my hubby, and our 13 year old son. I'm a coaster freak, and cannot wait to try Thunderhead and Wild Eagle! I'm a little worried about being a "plus size" rider... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm currently losing weight (just implemented some major lifestyle changes about a month ago, hooray!), but I worry that I'm not losing it quickly enough for our trip. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to put my hiney on a ride and see what happens... scary thought lol.

If anyone knows the park well and has some tips to throw at me, please do!

I'm gonna be heading to Dollywood the week of Oct 14-18 (not sure which day yet) while my family's vacationing in Murphy, NC. It'll just be me, my hubby, and our 13 year old son. I'm a coaster freak, and cannot wait to try Thunderhead and Wild Eagle! I'm a little worried about being a "plus size" rider... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm currently losing weight (just implemented some major lifestyle changes about a month ago, hooray!), but I worry that I'm not losing it quickly enough for our trip. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to put my hiney on a ride and see what happens... scary thought lol.

If anyone knows the park well and has some tips to throw at me, please do!

First off, the park will be closed October 17th, so be sure to note that when you are planning your vacation.

I would recommend going on either the 15th or 16th. Crowds should be light especially for the rides. Be ready to enter the park about 15 minutes before park opening and you should be able to get on all of the coasters with little to no wait. You can start with Thunderhead and just make a clockwise loop around the park where you will pass all of the coasters besides the kiddie one.

Good luck on fitting on the coasters and glad you are taking the initiative. You can celebrate making it on all of the rides by treating yourself to some cinnamon bread. Believe me, it will be worth it!

^^Google Plus still exists!!?!?

I still don't like looking at the site where such a great ropes course/structure was located and seeing it just gutted.

It is a shame that it was removed. I'm not a "ropes course" person, but even I thought Adventure Mountain was fun. I wonder if relocating it was an option.