TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Because Powder Keg and Wild Train are also considered as Family Coaster...

My girlfriend is petrified of bigger roller-coasters and even the mummy was too much for her, the dragon roller-coaster at Universal Studios was more for her when we visited singapore, though i'm sure if we had a child, she'd love a roller-coaster we could all do together and that would be our kind of family coaster. A ride such as powder keg I think would be too much for her, but considering the low launch speeds, I think this would be a perfect introduction coaster for children once they meet the height requirements for a variety of things that will be done bigger or faster on later coasters in their lives: launches, backwards sections, air time (at least I assume that is the meaning of the zero gravity mentions), trick track etc etc and I feel that's what dollywood is aiming for.

Edited by Garet

I think it's a sensible move after building a big ride like Wild Eagle (and removing Adventure Mountain--which was a shame). If they follow through on the theming suggested by the ride's backstory, it should be a lot of fun, and it'll be tough to beat the ride's setting.

Yup, so basically both fund it. The Dolly Division of the company is called "the Dollywood Company" and it is a joint between dolly and hershend.

Herschend is still the parent company (For a lack of a different term) but the division called "The Dollywood Company" oversees the properties that Dolly Co-Owns with Herschend (Dollywood, Dixi Stampede, Splash Country and now Dreammore)

I was thinking about it, and Dollywood is almost a perfect theme park. So much thought goes into EVERY attraction, where they're placed, how they're themed. The whole vibe of the place is amazing, and I'm sure these new additions to the park will help boost it into a whole new level of theme park. Definitely a place to visit! I can't wait to go back and see this park again!

Me too! I have not been back since 2002 and I have been wanting to go back so bad! So many new addition I want to do since I've been there, and I think 2015 will be the best time for me to go again, so I can stay in the Resort!

So if the resort is adjacent to Splash Country I guessing it will be on the plot of land just north of Splash Country between Jayell and McCarter Hollow roads? It will be interesting to see what kind of ticket packages and transportation options are available.

Also, I just joined the "Founders Club" on the resort webpage and it had a place where you could select your interests and and golf was one of the options. I wonder if the resort has plans to partner with courses in the area or maybe even eventually build their own course on site?

That would be cool if they offer a package deal with golf, lodging and park tickets.

I wonder if they would partner with the Gatlinburg Golf Course right down the street? We played there during our last visit and had a great time. I'll never forget the 'Ski Hi' par 3 that drops down 200 feet off the edge of a cliff!

Oh, and the coaster looks pretty cool too...great addition for the park.

So if the resort is adjacent to Splash Country I guessing it will be on the plot of land just north of Splash Country between Jayell and McCarter Hollow roads? It will be interesting to see what kind of ticket packages and transportation options are available.

Also, I just joined the "Founders Club" on the resort webpage and it had a place where you could select your interests and and golf was one of the options. I wonder if the resort has plans to partner with courses in the area or maybe even eventually build their own course on site?

I joined the Founders Club too! I'm really looking forward to the perks, and especially the discounts!

^ And I also think in several years they will add a year round indoor water park to the Resort. There is so much potential with the addition of the Resort, and I'm very excited to watch its growth.

they almost have to have the indoor water park to compete during the winter in my honest opinion. Wilderness at the Smokies is probably the busiest resort I have seen during the winter and that is only bc of the great deals they offer during the off season. You can't beat $99/Night and I only paid $10/extra person this winter for a stay at wilderness plus unlimited access to their water park. I paid less than $130 with tax for one night and enough vouchers for two days in their waterpark for two this winter.. Dollywood will need something to compete with that. I have received deals like this at wilderness every winter since they opened.

Now Dollywood may fill their resort during the winter using different methods but I really hope for an indoor water park at some time.

On the other hand Dollywood may not think there is need for another indoor water park in town

I highly doubt that they do not put one in. It would be too good for business. It will keep customers coming year round. It will give families something do do together if their vacation gets rained on. And it will give Families somewhere to send their children while they enjoy the Spa (being that lifegaurds are on duty at these types of establishments). There are far too few reasons not to build one. I'm sure we will see it in 3 to 5 years.

Dolly was very clear that the resort will continue to grow in phases, so I wouldn't rule anything out. A golf course tied into the resort would go over very well.

I believe a golf course is a required amenity to achieve a higher star ranking with AAA and some of the other hotel rating services. Is golf a big thing there? I don't remember seeing any courses.

^Yup. There are three golf courses that I know of in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. One is just down the road from the park and the other two are within 15 minutes. I don't golf but they are supposed to all do extremely well. Remember, the Smokies have been near the top of most visited State Parks in the country for years now, so lots of old people who like to golf are always nearby.

Edited by ernierocker

Golf is huge in the area. I worked at a golf course 30 minutes away and we where always packed. I don't ever recall a day where we had an open tee time during spring and fall.. Summer was slower due to heat (Golf isn't as big when its hot due to older people playing) and winter was the slowest.. Because of that, we where a tee time only course during spring and fall meaning a guest couldn't just walk in and say "Hey I wanna golf". But during the winter you could golf anytime and summer was hit and miss.. I am sure the courses that way are just as crowded as ours was.

However, I don't believe they have to build their course. WIlderness at the smokies, for example partner, with the Sevierville golf Club. They offer packages for the club through their resort. Dollywood could be doing something similar to achieve their high star rating. Dollywood has a course right beside the park they may partner with. Then again, they may want their own like a lot of local resorts have. A course though would eat up a lot of their 100 acres.

I used to be big into golf but not so much anymore. I still go once or twice a year or so.

^Yup. There are three golf courses that I know of in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. One is just down the road from the park and the other two are within 15 minutes. I don't golf but they are supposed to all do extremely well. Remember, the Smokies have been near the top of most visited State Parks in the country for years now, so lots of old people who like to golf are always nearby.

There are, indeed, golf courses all over the Smokies on both the North Carolina and Tennessee sides.

I saw in the concept art that the track for Firechaser Express is blue. I really hope its not with it being so close to Wild Eagle

I looked at the picture and it actually looks green. And if you look at the foreground on rcdb's picture of it. It is definitely green.

http://rcdb.com/6691.htm?p=46631

Oh ok, thank you!

I saw in the concept art that the track for Firechaser Express is blue. I really hope its not with it being so close to Wild Eagle

I looked at the picture and it actually looks green. And if you look at the foreground on rcdb's picture of it. It is definitely green.

http://rcdb.com/6691.htm?p=46631

Oh ok, thank you!

There is also the possibility that the art department has no clue what color the track is and used green because it looked good in the art.