TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Spent July 4th at the park. It rained starting late in the day. Crowds were very low. Hit all the coasters. Thunderhead was my favorite. Was an amazing experience. My son loved Mystery Mine. Bought the awesome Cinnamon Bread. Wow! Also saw a great show American Drive In. Heading back today. Have QBots because it should be crowded today. Looking forward to more rides, shows, and great food.

I'm not sure why, but I've always been fascinated by this nostalgic little ride, even growing up. Every time I go in the place and ride, I always find myself trying to identify the inner workings of it all.

That's why I'm starting this thread, and sorry if it has been brought up in the past. I'd like for anyone who has been on a tour of the ride or maybe even a ride worker to share their pics and knowledge of the ride. I've searched and found some pics here and there, but a lot of the stuff is dead links. I don't feel there is near enough content like this out there for such a classic favorite.

i did discover ACE Roller Coaster magazine did a full story on the ride several years ago including pics, track layout, etc. but didn't find any of the related content. Maybe someone who has this magazine issue can scan it in and share with me?

I've also heard a few people say if you look up in certain places you can see areas of track where the ride no longer goes (or something like that). Is this true or are they confused with Fire in the Hole at SDC? Interesting facts and myths like this is something else I would like to see discussed here.

Sorry if this is a weird request, but like I said, it's sort of one of those lifelong fascinations.

Thanks!

I've also heard a few people say if you look up in certain places you can see areas of track where the ride no longer goes

I'm almost positive there has been no significant layout change (or any change whatsoever) in the ride's history. I have done two backstage tours of the ride and this seems like something that would of been pointed out.

Going to go ahead and merge this with the Dollywood thread since this really doesn't need to be its own topic.

I've also heard a few people say if you look up in certain places you can see areas of track where the ride no longer goes (or something like that). Is this true or are they confused with Fire in the Hole at SDC? Interesting facts and myths like this is something else I would like to see discussed here.

Dollywood's layout hasn't changed since it opened. They have added a few things here and there and it does feature magnetic brakes now (which led to the water finale going away) and they received a new dispatch booth this season. Beyond that, its more or less the same. Fire in the Hole has changed however, and it appears they confused the two, as you suggested.

So I was looking around the Dollywood website and it looks like they have added tours of the Wild Eagle recently: http://www.dollywood.com/Deals/Special-Offers/Wild-Eagle-All-Access-Pass.aspx

Trip to the top of the lift (allowing cameras), maintenance tour, first ride of the day, breakfast with the tour guide at Aunt Granny's, t-shirt, and descreased wait time for the rest of the day on Wild Eagle!

• 2 weeks later...
Has any construction began for the 2014 project yet? I.E. ground razing, land clearing?

I was there last week, and didn't really see anything. Just that bit of clearing where Adventure Mountain (I believe that is the name of it) used to be. My only concern with another ride back in that spot will be crowding. I would imagine they will open that up a bit of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there yesterday. Still, not much has changed. If you ride the train, you can see the are they are clearing out is MUCH bigger than the area of AM. With that being said, they still haven't started any construction. They are just clearing out. (The area is from about mystery mind all the way up to the tornado)

Overall a good trip this weekend. I did however get very upset when the closed Wild Eagle for over 30 minutes to find a wallet that according to the ride ops was "Essential to the guest vacation". This was around 8:30 PM and the ride was closed until around 9:05. They didn't clear the lines, just ran one of the trains to the lift hill where they stopped it on the hill and emptied the other. At that time a ride op walked around the track area below the loops looking for the wallet..

I understand wallets are important but there has to be a MUCH better system. I cant imagine any other park doing that EVER.

FYI, the ride op did find a wallet and came back waiving it in the air haha

Also, does anyone know why the waterfall for daredevil falls is turned off?? This was my third trip this summer but the first time I noticed it was off. The splash bombs at the bottom where also off.. the ride is very boring just rolling down a track with no water at the fall! HAHA

I was there yesterday. Still, not much has changed. If you ride the train, you can see the are they are clearing out is MUCH bigger than the area of AM. With that being said, they still haven't started any construction. They are just clearing out. (The area is from about mystery mind all the way up to the tornado)

I would imagine there is some kind of announcement coming this month...I am still guessing a family friendly launch coaster for those not quite ready for Thunderhead, Tornado, Mystery Mine or Wild Eagle, as it would fit the bill and is one thing the park could use to round out their coaster line up. An Outlaw Run style RMC would be an awesome surprise but I just don't see that happening for a few years. I am headed up there in August sometime, wondering what they will have done by then.

I cant imagine any other park doing that EVER.

FYI, the ride op did find a wallet and came back waiving it in the air haha

Given the park it does not surprise me. The ride ops at Wild Eagle are great, one of them found my cell phone for me as it somehow came out of a velcro pocket and ended up in the seat, unbeknownst to me when I was riding!

Overall a good trip this weekend. I did however get very upset when the closed Wild Eagle for over 30 minutes to find a wallet that according to the ride ops was "Essential to the guest vacation". This was around 8:30 PM and the ride was closed until around 9:05. They didn't clear the lines, just ran one of the trains to the lift hill where they stopped it on the hill and emptied the other. At that time a ride op walked around the track area below the loops looking for the wallet..

I understand wallets are important but there has to be a MUCH better system. I cant imagine any other park doing that EVER.

An item deemed to be 'vacation essential' means they can't leave the park without it (such as drivers license) and asking them to stay until after closing when it's pitch black out to look for a needle in a haystack isn't a good answer and isn't providing the service level the Dollywood brand is known for. It sucks for everyone else, but if you were in that situation, you would be very thankful as well. However, I admit 30 minutes is a bit excessive, normally it's no more than 15 max.

Also, does anyone know why the waterfall for daredevil falls is turned off?? This was my third trip this summer but the first time I noticed it was off. The splash bombs at the bottom where also off.. the ride is very boring just rolling down a track with no water at the fall! HAHA

They've had issues with the pumps for the 'falls' for years now. To fix the issue, they have to go deep and replace them, which takes quite a long time. Needless to say, it's time they don't have whenever the park is open everyday from 10AM-10PM. They'll likely all be functional once Summer is over and the park is closed two days a week.

I have got to where I don't even take my cell phone in anymore. I see one lost every visit. Normally on mystery mine, because it is so slow while upside down. I don't want to risk losing anything

Debit card and Gold Pass is all I need. Everything else stays locked in the car.

I used to use lockers but I always lost all the quarters on the rides HAHAHA so I could never lock them back. (I guess I could leave the quarters inside locked up but thats to easy)

I always try to make sure my pants or shorts have a zipper pocket on them to safely keep any loose articles. Losing my keys on S:ROS at sfne, in turn sitting in an empty parking lot for my dad to drive 2 hrs with the spare, tought me a lesson I will never forget. Always keep a spare key somewhere in the car and always wear clothing with zipper pockets. I've always joked that I was going to start a clothing line catered to coaster enthusiasts with all zipper pockets.

I usually majorly geek out when I go to parks. I generally wear both a theme park t-shirt and baseball cap. In addition to this, I have a Diamondback drawstring backpack that I've thrown into the outfit. In addition to being something I can keep common on every park trip to denote my home park, it is handy because it can hold anything and everything you might need for the day and can fit into any locker. I usually just throw it into a ride cubby (you can at Dollywood) and it eliminates any need you have to use your pockets. The only issue I have is usually my hat. I remember to bag it 99% of the time but last time I rode The Beast I wore my Millennium Force hat onto the ride. Luckily I caught it and wrapped the Velcro adjuster strap around my wrist. I honestly prefer having a bag because you can carry a lot with you and don't have to worry about losing stuff on rides. And on case of rides like Flight of Fear or Iron Dragon where everything rides with you, I can just loop one of the drawstrings around my leg and I'm good to go!

Just how I manage my stuff...

From the Silver Dollar City Discussion Thread...

SDC is sending out surveys via email and shared at SDCfans

A rework of Geyser Gulch themed to a fireworks factory

Then take a look at this...

db_2013_0325_Dollywood2014Sign1.jpg.0c19543494f81e583ffeb616a13bc354.jpg

Anyone else see the similarities? This is totally possible for the Adventure Mountain site. It brings family rides to the thrill area of the park and could use the former Adventure Mountain towers for the play areas and such. Also, this is a good addition of a kiddie play area since Dreamland Forest was lost for Barnstormer.

Not only that but the theming could work... such as patriotic going with Wild Eagle across the midway, dynamite going with those in Mystery Mine, and finally creating an access point to the top of the mountain (the train loop) for that rumored dynamite/moonshine launch coaster whenever they develop that up there.

I honestly think you could be right about that. Though correct me if I'm wrong, but Adventure Mountain was built on very steep terrain. If I'm wrong then I think this is what we get. And if they want to announce it at Boomsday again they could. The only thing that would lead me away from thinking that this is practically confirmed is the footers. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see a small Zierer VD coaster go in with this.

^The new ride is not going to be announced during Boomsday. We already know the new ride is going to have a large entertainment building and there is going to be quite a bit of excavation. So, that doesn't necessarily rule out the fireworks idea below, but I wouldn't go by the terrain currently there and rule out anything.

^The new ride is not going to be announced during Boomsday. We already know the new ride is going to have a large entertainment building and there is going to be quite a bit of excavation. So, that doesn't necessarily rule out the fireworks idea below, but I wouldn't go by the terrain currently there and rule out anything.

I think if you read between the lines here a little bit we actually do know that it will in no way shape or form have a fireworks theme because if the new ride were to be themed to fireworks then there is no way the announcement wouldn't be at Boomsday, ya know since it's a fireworks show and all.

Can't wait to see what they have in store here, Dollywood has really put together some fantastic attractions these past couple of years.

When I saw the post regarding the Silver Dollar City survey on this Fireworks attraction, my initial thought was "This is either a red herring to throw off people speculating on the AM replacement, or it is exactly what Dollywood is planning." However-based on the terrain they are working with on the old AM site as well as the area said to be covered by this project (from over by Mystery Mine down to the area near the Tornado) I'm not so sure this is the 2014 plan for Dollywood. Really interested to see how this all pans out.