TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Usually that time of year in this area is HOT and DRY.. So good news is, it wont rain.. Bad news, its usually fairly warm. Just remember, Dollywood gives free ice water.. All you have to do is ask. As for ride line lengths, Dollywood is different than a lot of parks. The park can be very full and have NO LINES what so ever. It all depends on the festivals going on and how many people are in the park for shows and shopping.. During the week though will still be your best bet for lines under 45 mins on the big rides.. Most rides will be walkons during the week or at least short 10 or 15 minute waits.

I am going to be in Pigeon Forge this weekend and it has been years since I visited Dollywood so it's time for a visit. I see that they offer the Q2Q line management system. I have used the FlashPass offered by Six Flags over Georgia in the past (which I believe these two parks are using the same technology). I have had great experiences with the FlashPass where the wait times were decreased a lot. Does the Dollywood Q2Q device actually reduce the amount of time you wait or just hold your place in line?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm visiting next week on the 18th and 19th (Tuesday and Wednesday). My trip in May was postponed, sadly. Has anyone been lately and know if crowds early in the week are pretty light?

Also, can I still use my 2012 souvenir mug?

We are buying season passes, we live about 6 hours away but plan on making a trip a month, any advice on which pass is the best value?

I'm visiting next week on the 18th and 19th (Tuesday and Wednesday). My trip in May was postponed, sadly. Has anyone been lately and know if crowds early in the week are pretty light?

Haven't been this year, but you are in peak summer season so the park will always have moderate to high crowds. If it's crowded just get the Q-bots. At the reasonable price, it is a no-brainer.

Also, can I still use my 2012 souvenir mug?

No.

We are buying season passes, we live about 6 hours away but plan on making a trip a month, any advice on which pass is the best value?

I definitely recommend getting one Gold Pass for your group, everyone else can just get the regular season pass. You will easily make up the difference in price of the Gold Pass in three visits just by getting the free parking. Plus, you get discounts on all merchandise and food.

Thanks ernierocker, I'm hoping for decently light crowds my one trip last year had hour and 45 min waits for Wild Eagle and it kept breaking down.

Hopefully I can get a glimpse of some construction work when I'm there as well!

This speculation about the 2014 attraction is very interesting indeed. I didn't even know about Adventure Mountain until I actually visited Dollywood and saw it getting taken down/the banner in front. Imagnation Cinema is no loss; although I did like the Polar Express 4D/3D. Adventure Mountain however is almost new and I was a bit shocked when I saw it was being removed. Although I understand the reasons why it was removed (low capacity; deconstruct & expand).

Was at the park all day yesterday in the rain, rides on thunderhead in the rain are insane. Lines were definitely a walk on yesterday considering the awful weather. But we made the best of a bad day.

At the park now, 30-45 min waits minimum.

And also on the site of Adventure Mountain some markers have appeared over night. There have been workers up on the hill behind the vertical hairpin on Mystery Mine both today and yesterday. Aside from that it's pretty much unchanged.

Back on park for a third day. Quite a few workers on site, small diggers have slowly started digging around existing landscaping and structures. I think they are definitely preserving what's left of AM.

Just ate lunch, heading for Mountain Slidewinder!

Back on park for a third day. Quite a few workers on site, small diggers have slowly started digging around existing landscaping and structures. I think they are definitely preserving what's left of AM.

Just ate lunch, heading for Mountain Slidewinder!

I want my very own mountain slidewinder.

I just saw 2 new things available for purchase on the Dollywood "add-on experience" page: (I copied and pasted from their site, hope that's okay)

SkyZip Night Flight - $69 per person

Soar over Dollywood AT NIGHT on Dollywood’s very own zip line experience, SkyZip. PLUS, enjoy premium seating for Dolly's Nights of Many Colors. Tour begins at 8:00 p.m. Reservations required and guests must be 48” to ride.

Wild Eagle All-Access Tour - $150 per person

Ready to soar with the eagles? Jump on the Wild Eagle All-Access Tour and you’ll fly where very few have flown before…at the top of Wild Eagle’s massive lift hill before the park opens for the day.

This extremely-exclusive tour allows just eight participants the opportunity to ascend Wild Eagle’s lift, aided by an experienced tour guide, to survey the park from the summit. At the top of the lift, tour members participate in a Q&A session with the tour guide, who also will take pictures of you to help document the adventure.

From your perch more than 200 feet above Dollywood, your bird’s-eye view offers commanding sights of Dollywood as well as the Great Smoky Mountains. Tours take approximately one and a half hours, which includes outfitting in a full-body harness, ascent, time at the top of the lift and descent.

Following the tour, participants enjoy a guided tour of Wild Eagle’s maintenance bay and a 15-minute Q&A session. Afterward, guests board the day’s first Wild Eagle train for an exclusive ride at park opening.

Your tour guide then hosts the group for an All-You-Care-To-Eat Buffet breakfast in Aunt Granny’s private dining room. Tour guests receive an exclusive Wild Eagle All-Access commemorative t-shirt, as well as decreased ride wait time at Wild Eagle for the remainder of the day.

The Wild Eagle All-Access total tour time is approximately four hours. Only one tour takes place each Saturday beginning June 1 through Nov. 2. The cost is $150 per person, which also includes free parking. Dollywood admission is required.

Tour Requirements:

Participants must meet the tour guide at Tram Stop B at 7:30 a.m. Those who miss the tour departure forfeit the tour. The guide will transport guests to the front gate, where they also will verify participants’ ages by checking a valid photo ID.

All guests must sign an activity waiver. Those younger than 18 years of age must have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian.

Guests must be between 50 inches and 78 inches tall and weigh less than 300 pounds.

Due to harnessing requirements, participants may not be pregnant.

Thinking about going to Dollywood on Friday, July 5th with my 18 year old son. Already have tickets. Should we invest on Q2Q system for the day? I believe so. Also, what type of plan for rides and shows would you follow if you have never been there?

Thinking about going to Dollywood on Friday, July 5th with my 18 year old son. Already have tickets. Should we invest on Q2Q system for the day? I believe so. Also, what type of plan for rides and shows would you follow if you have never been there?

Yeah, definitely invest in the Qbot. Being peak summer season, I imagine the park will have moderate to heavy crowds for sure.

One strategy I would suggest is to get to the park at least 30 minutes before opening and head immediately to your left towards Timber Canyon. As soon as they let you up the path, you can head straight for Thunderhead and Mystery Mine and should be able to ride both with minimal waits. Then you can continue on a clockwise direction around the park and hit up Wild Eagle, Tennessee Tornado and Blazing Fury. You should be able to get all five coasters in without waiting more than a couple of trains (Wild Eagle could be longer depending on the crowds at opening) at the beginning of the day and then you can head back towards the Qbot office. You will be able to reserve show times with your Qbots so just pick out what shows you want to see and plan accordingly.

Have fun and be sure to get some cinnamon bread!

Edited by ernierocker

Went to Dollywood today didn't get to ride Wild Eagle or any of the other big coasters because they do not accommodate people of my big size. Rode some of the other rides that don't require soldier restrains. Tomorrow we are going to Splash Country.

Yeah, definitely invest in the Qbot. Being peak summer season, I imagine the park will have moderate to heavy crowds for sure.

One strategy I would suggest is to get to the park at least 30 minutes before opening and head immediately to your left towards Timber Canyon. As soon as they let you up the path, you can head straight for Thunderhead and Mystery Mine and should be able to ride both with minimal waits. Then you can continue on a clockwise direction around the park and hit up Wild Eagle, Tennessee Tornado and Blazing Fury. You should be able to get all five coasters in without waiting more than a couple of trains (Wild Eagle could be longer depending on the crowds at opening) at the beginning of the day and then you can head back towards the Qbot office. You will be able to reserve show times with your Qbots so just pick out what shows you want to see and plan accordingly.

Have fun and be sure to get some cinnamon bread!

Totally agree. The Qbot at Dollywood is one of the best deals there is. It's very well priced, and really works well. The more time to enjoy the cinnamon bread, the better! Just make sure you don't get there too late so they're not sold out of the bread.

I have had a pass to Dollywood for the last 3 seasons, and have visited several times throughout the year.

I have never had the inkling to purchase a Q2Q at Dollywood. While the park might appear busy, I assure you that most of the folks are there for the shows.

I have never waited more than 10 minutes for any of the rides I wanted to experience on any of my visits to Dollywood. I have only seen them use both sides of Barnstormer once. Most of the time, it is one sided, and a walk on. It is possible this is due to it's location. It gives much better rides than Sky Hawk at Cedar Point. They do not staple you as long as the indicators say the restraint is locked, you get massive air time.

I would suggest using the money you are going to spend on Q2Q to eat at Aunt Grannie's buffet. It is the best buffet I have eaten at any theme park.

Speaking of, I have to get down there! I renewed my pass, and have not visited this season! Road trip anyone?

^There are plenty times of the year that lines will be long enough to justify purchasing a Q-bot and a Friday during 4th of July weekend would certainly qualify as one of them. However, with that being said, the forecast for the rest of this week looks to be extremely wet. So, that might really help keep crowds down. Just got to hope the lightning stays away.