TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

My source confirmed that it will be an Intamin stand-up inverted hyper launched mega-lite aquatrax with an interactive shooting Dark ride section themed to moonshiners vs zombie Black Bears and the que line will be inside of an authentic Smokey Mountain Pancake house..... Moonshine Apocalypse: The Ride feat. The Dukes of Hazard.

"Someday the mountain might get 'em, but the zombie bears never will"

I'm not sure how it's necessarily "bad news" that the new coaster (or "coaster") may not be a Mack launched model (not that I have anything against those).

Now if it's an SLC or a Volare, that would truly be "bad news."

I'm still holding out for a Dark Ride. If they put another coaster in that area, that's literally all that that area from Thunder Head to Tennessee Tornado will have, Coasters. (Minus that evil water ride). If it is a coaster, I'd love to see a hybrid. Something like Verbolten/13.

^Id put it in quotes if it is a hybrid Darkride Coaster.

This.

Didn't anyone pick up that Lance wrote he's still 'in the dark' about it?!!?

The rumor has been some sort of super Blazing Fury...I'm cool with that. Just hope it's different enough for the GP to figure out!

What does building a newer Blazing Fury do for the park though? It seems odd to build a new version (more or less) of a ride that you already have. I mean, if we're talking something more like Revenge of the Mummy I can see how that's different enough (and would be a good fit with the moonshine theme), but if we're just talking a dark ride with a couple small drops that doesn't really make much sense to me with Blazing Fury right across the park.

^Maybe you get to shoot at stuff.

We already had the semi-confirmed rumor that the attraction was going to be housed in a large building, so I can see a dark ride with a significant coaster portion to go along with it.

Edited by ernierocker

What does building a newer Blazing Fury do for the park though? It seems odd to build a new version (more or less) of a ride that you already have. I mean, if we're talking something more like Revenge of the Mummy I can see how that's different enough (and would be a good fit with the moonshine theme), but if we're just talking a dark ride with a couple small drops that doesn't really make much sense to me with Blazing Fury right across the park.

Maybe they're planning to eventually take out BF. I mean.... Yeah, it's a classic, but they took out the Log Flume.

^Maybe you get to shoot at stuff.

We already had the semi-confirmed rumor that the attraction was going to be housed in a large building, so I can see a dark ride with a significant coaster portion to go along with it.

If so, this seems to be a redundant concept for Dollywood with Mystery Mine being similar and so close in proximity (coaster having both the enclosed dark ride portion and outdoor course). Whatever is coming, I can't see it having any inversions since its supposed to be more family-friendly. I think you're on to something with the "shooting at stuff".

Perhaps this is going to be the once considered Smoky Mtn Wilderness Adventure-The Ride concept they were researching on a survey several years ago. I could see that having interactive elements and "being a blast" with dynamite-like explosions, as the teaser banner suggests.

BTW, there is still a SMWA display on the park's property near the entrance to Craftman's Valley (adjacent to the Back Pork Theater). It's Clovis' old supply cart that's transporting crates of dynamite. Could this be a clue for the 2014 addition or just a coincidence leftover from the defunct attraction? I remember seeing it there last year, from about mid-season on. It just seems like an odd display in such a high-traffic area. Does anyone else think the park is hinting at something new with this or is it just leftover, misplaced random theming?

Does anyone else think the park is hinting at something new with this or is it just leftover, misplaced random theming?

I think they just got tired of carrying it and said, "Here is good."

I honestly think the Smoky Mountain Adventure (or whatever that film was called) was a minor bust for the park. I never thought it was well received as the Thunder Road film was lightyears better. Just my 2 cents though.

Or maybe it will have a completely different theme than Blazing Fury, and people are just using it as an understandable example of what style dark ride to expect! That'd be my guess anyway.

Yes, i was just using it as an example. Blazing furry is what i would consider a "coaster". Level dark ride with surprise drops. I think they will eventually remove bf. I still believe that was their intention a few years ago when it was closed and due to complaints they just "remodeled" it

^I can guarantee you that the park has never intended to take out Blazing Fury. The ride was only closed because it needed to be refurbished. The brake system needed an upgrade, as well as some basic building structure/show scenery that needed TLC.

And what "remodel" are you talking about??? Nothing has changed besides the water being taken out, once again due to the brake upgrade.

Edited by ernierocker

By remodeled that is what I meant. The time it was closed due to the water being taken out.

Now I have heard they actually did make a change to furry this year. I didn't ride it my first time there this season but I will Saturday just to see what my friend was talking about. He maybe crazy though.

By remodeled that is what I meant. The time it was closed due to the water being taken out.

Now I have heard they actually did make a change to furry this year. I didn't ride it my first time there this season but I will Saturday just to see what my friend was talking about. He maybe crazy though.

There was an interesting change made to BF. I'll not spoil it though.

^They added furrys to the ride? That's it. I'm out! There is no amount of right that can reverse this wrong!

That would be terrible! Anyway, I'm interested to find out what the change is. Might as well tell us what it is.