TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Correct me if im wrong but in some past attractions dollywood and silver dollar city have had similar attractions within one or two years of each other. Both have a splash battle, revamped the fair area, got screaming swing, dollywood had dreamland forest, they still have their similar type right? I've never been to Silver Dollar City, plan to go this summer. I know they are not exactly alike but they do have some similar rides right?

I had really hoped to be able to make passholder preview day and opening weekend at Dollywood this week, meet up with some friends from TPR and enjoy the park, but due to some very serious health issues with my parents and the passing of my grandfather I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. I have rescheduled to head up there in May, though and will be up there several more times during the season.

I did have a few thoughts on this "Coming in 2014". I am hesitant to think that they would do another major "big" coaster addition so soon after Wild Eagle, but they very well could. Wild Eagle was great for business, and there is major hype on Outlaw Run, so you never know. Plus, in reading the articles referencing the new development, a few things have been said which could possibly indicate another major ride. For one, somewhere it was stated that it will be "somewhere in scope in between Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle" which would mean the price tag would be somewhere in the vicinity of $17-20 million; for another, that the project would encompass the area where Adventure Mountain was all the way down to the area across from River Battle, and finally, it sure is early to start construction for a 2014 addition when this season is only beginning.

I have five guesses as to what this will end up being:

-RMC coaster similar to Outlaw Run. This to me would be fantastic, although I feel that they are going to hold off on adding something like that for a year or two.

-S&S Launched Family Coaster like Powder Keg at SDC. The "It will be a Blast" comment on the banner leads me to think that is a possibility, as well as the idea that the park could use a coaster somewhere in between Blazing Fury and the bigger coasters. That would also take up the kind of space they are working with, and I don't recall where it was but I think there was an attraction survey in the past which mentioned something similar.

-S&S Double Shot tower with an explosion theme. This has shown up in several attraction surveys for SDC and would be another flat ride addition which would fill the void left by Timber Tower.

-Some type of shooting gallery/interactive type dark ride. This would also be a really good addition for the park.

-The other thing I can think of is maybe one of those interactive play areas with the cannons where you shoot foam balls at other people, I forget what they're called.

Those were just possibilities that crossed my mind. Whatever they add-coaster, flat ride, dark ride, I am sure it will be a great addition.

Does anyone know if they are having Thrills In The Hills this year?

I looked a few pages back and didnt see any mention of this but parking at dollywood went from 8 to $10. I frequent dollywood a lot and have a gold pass so i dont have to worry about parking. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

Also, i went yesterday and can confirm they are removing the climbing stuff and there is a construction wall that says "it will be a blast" there was also a bulldozer halfway up the mountain behind the climbing attraction clearing the mountain off.. Looks as if something is going up there or like someone already said, they are making a pathway up the hillside.

The dozer wasnt actually doing anything, just sitting there bc it was Sunday but it did look as if it had been clearing space and land. All of this could be seen from the snack bar in front of wild eagle.

They have also worked on a lot of buildings and even gave the tennessee tornado much needed repairs. New seats on the tornado. The tornado also ran the smoothest it has since being built! The underside of the trains must have been worked on as well.

^Yeah, Pete Owens confirmed that they would begin construction on a pathway up to the train loop for future expansion. It will be similar to the pathway from the main gate to Timber Canyon where it will wind back and forth due to ADA regulations and the elevation difference.

On the front page of ScreamScape, it looks like they posted something concerning the 2014 construction site. But when you click on the link, there's no new news on the DW page. Is it different for anyone else? Can anyone actually see what they said?

It will be interesting to see what they build. There are already a few things that I find very interesting about this new construction. Keep in mind I am only in my late 20's so there is a chance that when I was younger I wasnt very observant..

One thing that has always stayed the same though, I have always visited Dollywood on opening weekend and I can only remember construction this early on the Wild Eagle.

1.) Adventure mountain is already closed and construction has already begun for a new ride. Correct me if I am wrong but when the Tornado was built, if i recall correctly, they started clearing off area around Thunder Express early summer the year they built Tornado. Thunder express itself didn't close until the fall and of course when Dollywood opened again, Tornado had taken its place

That leads me to believe everything dollwood has said about this new ride being BIG is true! Bc if I remember correctly they even kept Thunder Express open half a season when it was replaced

Grand Opening weekend 2011 I remember seeing the area being cleared off for Wild Eagle. All other rides I have never noticed construction until early summer if not later. (Thunderhead probably started early, but at that time, that part of the park was closed off and unused.)

2.) The tease on the construction wall is also interesting. I read back several pages in this thread and my experiences with Dollywood are the same as others have posted. "What construction".. Dollywood even ignored for a a month or two they where working on Wild Eagle with comments like "we are just clearing land".. So I find it very interesting they have a "tease" on the construction wall this early

I feel, whatever they build, will be something massive even if it isn't a coaster. They have started work on it so early and are already teasing us so it has to be big!

^Both Wild Eagle and the 2014 attraction had/will have significant earthwork that will need to be done. A major cost factor for Wild Eagle was all of its earthwork that was necessary and was also a factor in its beginning construction so early.

I definitely expect this to be a major attraction but I am leaning towards the rumors of it involving a significantly-sized show building and not being a coaster. Although, I do like the rumors of a Powder Keg type ride with the Moonshine theme.

Rumors and tease signs are great. This season just started and I am more excited about next year than i have ever been in the past. And all bc of the tease sign they had up letting me know they are already working om the 2014 attraction.

Oh, i forgot two other tips i was going to give everyone.

1.) As a lot of you probably noticed, it you are not able to renew your season pass this year. They made me get a new one bc they have changed the machines at the park gate. Make sure you plan a few extra minutes to make a new season pass.

2.) Also, the lockers at the front of the park have a new rate. Instead of $1.00 per use it cost $4.00 plus a $1.00 deposit but you can open it unlimited times. If you are like me and only open it once to remove your items you can use the other lockers around the pakr. All others still cost 1.00 per use.

I already mentioned the parking increase i believe those are the only new tips i had to share.

Edited by dstephe9

I keep thinking about the possibility of a launched woody. Or at least a launched rollercoaster of some sort. It be cool if it had a walkway under a part of it like mystery mine. Then that pathway would lead up to the train loop. Then in 2015 and 2016 they could culd build another train station up in the train loop with collection of rides. More kid/water/thrill rides!!!

Random I always felt like the 70s area needed some extra rides and attractions

According to Screamscape, there have been teasers about Dollywood's new ride, which will be a "BLAST"!

And there are rumors for an RMC like Outlaw Run.

Could we be seeing a launched wood coaster from RMC? That would be the coolest thing! Something that had NEVER been done before as far as I know.

EDIT: This rumor has already appeared before. Didn't realize that

If the employees are to be believed then there will indeed be a coaster going in the adventure mountain site. I overheard a security guard telling a family that by the time their one daughter was going to be tall enough to ride coasters there would be a be a new one at that spot. And another supervisor I asked said the rumors are a new coaster, he said a family one...idk if a RMC wooden coaster would be considered a family coaster.