TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I agree. A WindSeeker would't blend well at-all in a park like DollyWood. They seems too thick, and just wouldn't blend well.

A Star Flyer painted "tree brown" and with a "leaf green" top would look great. Maybe the swings could be "fall colored", just throwing out some ideas.

Have to get my 3 boys out of the house for 5 days later this week and was thinking of heading to Dollywood and Gatlinburg area in general but many hotels are already sold out. Is this for Leaf Peepers already?

Any idea what kind of crowds to expect at Dollywood on Friday > Tuesday?

Thanks all!

Just to follow up for posterity, we hit Dollywood at 10am Friday. Weather was amazingly perfect. Looked like a decent crowd based on the parking lot. As others mentioned, the rides were walk-on all day. Our longest line was 25mins to get into Lillian's for a late lunch at 2pm.

Total ride count: Thunderhead 11x, Mystery Mine 7x, Wild Eagle 4x, spent at least 2 hours on Adventure Mountain (my boys love it).

Side note of interest: We saw Chad Miller from The Gravity Group walking around with a film crew. I asked him if they were there to scout a new coaster location but sadly, he said no.

Ok I will be going to Dollywood over break, I was wondering which day would be the best day to go this week? As in what day would have the best weather/crouds. (I like cold weather! ) My options are Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. (but I would have to leave early on Tuesday.)

Thanks!

EDIT: Ignore this post, we are going tomorrow!

Hopefully someone here will be able to fill me in on this. I did a search but couldn't find a clear answer.

The tour I'm currently working on will be passing through Pigeon Forge on November 10th this year, aka the opening day of Smoky Mountain Christmas. Are the coasters open during this event? From what I was able to piece together from my search, every ride is open but the coasters close at certain temperatures. That info was a few years old, though. Can someone give me a more current answer? Thanks!

Last year I was told by operators that

-Coasters open when the temperature is above 40 degrees

-Coasters close when the temperature drops below 36 degrees

-Flats (or at least the Screamin' Swing) close when the temperature is below 32 degrees.

All rides should be open except the water rides, and Adventure Mountain closes at dusk. I went twice last year, and could get plenty of rides in and then switch to shows when it got chillier and the coasters closed. You should have a blast!

Last year I was told by operators that

-Coasters open when the temperature is above 40 degrees

-Coasters close when the temperature drops below 36 degrees

-Flats (or at least the Screamin' Swing) close when the temperature is below 32 degrees.

All rides should be open except the water rides, and Adventure Mountain closes at dusk. I went twice last year, and could get plenty of rides in and then switch to shows when it got chillier and the coasters closed. You should have a blast!

Well said! I would add that Thunderhead, Tn Tornado and (probably) Wild Eagle go down to one train operation at 45 degrees. I say proably b/c this is W.E.'s first season, so not completely sure, but it seems likely to follow the others.

. Dolly Parton is known for doing things up big, and that's definitely true for her Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Dolly has announced some exciting plans for 2013, including new shows, festival headliners and a splashy summerlong celebration.

For the park's Festival of Nations, Dollywood is welcoming Cirque Shanghai, a cast of world-class acrobats who pull off some incredible feats of tumbling and hoop diving. Country music takes the spotlight for an all-new Great American Country Show at Dolly's Celebrity Theatre, beginning May 10. GAC and Dollywood present live country music onstage with GAC's personalities appearing in video presentations. Each show will feature a special appearance by a country music legend. Summer will also sizzle with a nightly fireworks extravaganza, Dolly's Nights of Many Colors, an exciting visual display synchronized to music. Dollywood's Great American Summer kicks off June 22.

For the 2013 holiday season, Dollywood's Smoky Mountain Christmas Festival will offer a new headline show, Dollywood's Christmas Carol. The show is based on the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol and features a 15-member cast.

Dollywood recently received a fourth consecutive Golden Ticket Award for Best Shows. Dolly commented on that honor while announcing her plans for the upcoming new year. "Of course, I'm really proud of our Golden Ticket Awards for Best Shows," Dolly said in a released statement. "Who wouldn't be? But I truly want to celebrate and share this great honor with our guests all season long in 2013 with all kinds of entertainment and incredible shows from the stage all the way into the sky!"

For more on Dollywood, check out this video from the colorful Dolly herself. (at link below)

www.countryweekly.com/news/dollys-big-plans-dollywood

I wonder if this means they will have more nighttime hours to include a fireworks show? I guess this may rule out a ride replacement for Timber Tower for 2013....which I'm ok with given all the recent additions.

The video has more. Yes to nighttime hours!! 10a to 10p.

Even more details here

Direct Video (which I love, btw):

Also, the National Roller Coaster Museum Association announced on their Facebook page today that Dollywood will be keeping the coaster museum for next year. More details as they come along.

Edited by tntornadox

Oh God, anything but the GAC show. If this is anything like the SDC one, which I'm going out on a limb to say it is, stay away. They ran the show starting 15 minutes after park closing in a 10% full amphitheater. I love country music, but even I couldn't sit through the almost hour long show full of covers. Not what I was hoping they were going to announce, but I suppose it'll have its audience.

I wonder if Dollywood has ever considered doing a Halloween event? I know it doesn't fit the audience of the park all that well, but I would imagine that if they did one it would attract decent crowds. I can only imagine how awesome that park would be after dark with a little bit of the "Haunt" atmosphere built into it.

^That would make the most sense for Dollywood. A show or attraction based on local legend or superstition would be good, too.

I bet they could come up with some outstanding Halloween baked goodies, too.