TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Saturday will probably be a very crowded day. School has started but that generally means that more locals will go on a Saturday over Sunday. There are also still several areas the country that haven't gone back to school yet, so you will still have a lot of tourists in the area.

So, yes getting a Q-bot would be highly recommended!

Edited by ernierocker

Heading to Dollywood this Saturday. Any idea what kind of crowds to expect? Has school started to hopefully keep some of them home? Would Q2Q be advantageous this time of year? Or waste of money?

And as inexpensive as QBots are at Dollywood, it's never a waste of money.

Edited by cfc

Heading to Dollywood this Saturday. Any idea what kind of crowds to expect? Has school started to hopefully keep some of them home? Would Q2Q be advantageous this time of year? Or waste of money?

I expected it to be more, but that is actually a great idea.

And just so Im ready for exactly how it works since Im only used to Disneys FastPass and CF's FastLane...

I assume it has multiple uses. Queues us for later in the day, all 3-4 of us depending which one we get. Do we get to choose our row/seats? Or is there some designated row we use?

And the Advert on the side of my screen is from Cars.com telling me there is a Porsche Carrera GT for the low price of only 375,000. Or a Mayback Type 62 for 349,995. Interesting.

I expected it to be more, but that is actually a great idea.

And just so Im ready for exactly how it works since Im only used to Disneys FastPass and CF's FastLane...

I assume it has multiple uses. Queues us for later in the day, all 3-4 of us depending which one we get. Do we get to choose our row/seats? Or is there some designated row we use?

And the Advert on the side of my screen is from Cars.com telling me there is a Porsche Carrera GT for the low price of only 375,000. Or a Mayback Type 62 for 349,995. Interesting.

You can reserve one ride at a time or multiple shows over the course of the day (if you opt to see any). You wait however long the line length is for that attraction. At the coasters, you are merged in so you can choose your own row with the exception being Mystery Mine for obvious reasons- it has a grouper that tells you where to go.

I know it's quite a bit early for this to come up, but I'm trying to get a trip together for a Saturday in December for me and a friend, and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys could help me out with:

1) Are the Q-Bots still available around that time of year (on the off-chance it's crowded)?

2) What temperature does each coaster close at? Like, how low can it get before each of them shuts down?

3) Any "Only-during-the-Christmas-Season" things that shouldn't be missed?

I know it's quite a bit early for this to come up, but I'm trying to get a trip together for a Saturday in December for me and a friend, and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys could help me out with:

1) Are the Q-Bots still available around that time of year (on the off-chance it's crowded)?

2) What temperature does each coaster close at? Like, how low can it get before each of them shuts down?

1) Yes, and I would highly recommend it as this is one of the busiest times of the year at the park.

2) I wanna say that it needs to get above 42 to open Thead, Mysty, and TennTorr. But after they are open and warmed up, they will run them till the temp drops to like 35. I don't know the details of WildE as it's brand new, but I would expect it to be similar.

3) The park changes all it's shows and theming for the Christmas season. Use your fast pass to reserve show times so you don't have to wait in those lines if your a show kinda person. IMHO I would pass on Carol of the trees if they have it this year. It does nothing for me. Also, the in door shows give you a break from the cold so that is nice. Definitely walk the entire park after dark as it is quite spectacular to behold all lit up. Oh Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Gotta have Peppermint Hot Chocolate. If I were to wish anything for you, it would be snow a day or two before you go. The park is magical with a nice little blanket of snow over it. Especially the train ride. One warning, it does get real cold real fast after the sun sets, so wear layers. If it's nice during the day, you can put your heavy jacket in a l@cker or store it in a backpack or something. You've never ridden Thunderhead until you've walked off it with icicles running out of your eyes and nose.

I am going to make a mad coaster dash around the South as soon as I get back from my work trip on the 6th. Can't wait to get back to Dollywood. It has been too long and we didn't make it there for kidsfest this year. I am angry about that as we made plans several times and always got thwarted by my or Alana's f'ed up schedules. We missed the bubble man. He is awesome!

1) Q-bots are available but on busy days do sell out quickly. Not for rides, but to reserve the shows. They are amazing at Christmas.

2) All coasters except Mystery Mine open on time as long as the temperature is above 36 (MM is 40), they all close when the temp. hits 36.

3) Shows, shows, shows. Ride the rides early in the afternoon (as the park doesn't open until 2PM most days) to ensure you get to ride. Once the temp falls, enjoy the lights and shows. The best is Smoky Mountain Christmas, IMO.

Also, Dollywood now has an app available for both iPhone and Android. It's very well done, be sure to download it!

^Didn't know about the app, awesome!

Heading there next Monday! It's been a couple of years and I am so very excited. Taking my boyfriend for his first visit. I am so looking forward to sharing one of my favorite places with him!

David

Cool! If I didn't have so much work going on I would try to meet up with you guys, have fun though! Not that that will be hard.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120822005198/en/Dollywood-Company-President-Ken-Bell-Retires-Dec

After more than a quarter century at the helm, industry veteran and park innovator Ken Bell is retiring from his role as President of The Dollywood Company. Under his leadership Dolly Parton’s theme park has garnered the theme park industry’s highest honor, the Applause Award, and achieved the status as the number one show park in the world. In addition, Bell grew Parton’s park to include an award-winning waterpark, Dollywood’s Splash Country, and launched a hospitality company. Bell also sits on the boards of directors for Parton’s Dixie Stampede and Pirate’s Voyage dinner theatre chain.

Parton announced that Craig Ross, industry veteran, will assume the role as The Dollywood Company President, effective immediately.

“After nearly two years of working with Craig, I know he’s the person who can continue the successes Ken has built for my Dollywood Company over the years,” Parton said. “I am looking forward to the future!”

Ross has worked for more than 30 years in the theme park industry with the last year spent as Vice-President and General Manager of Dollywood under Bell. Ross’ first season marked the launch of Wild Eagle, the first wing coaster in the US and the park’s largest capital addition to date.

“I am honored to soon have this very special opportunity to carry on the high level of quality and balanced leadership that the Dollywood team has come to expect. I am thrilled to have such a wonderful and talented team to help me grow The Dollywood Company and its world-class brand,” Ross said.

Based in the picturesque Great Smoky Mountains, Dollywood is a 150-acre family adventure park which operates nine months a year (late March through December) and offers more than 40 rides and attractions; award-winning live entertainment featuring country, bluegrass, gospel and mountain music; and a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region. A family-friendly vacation destination, Dollywood also includes the 35-acre Dollywood’s Splash Country, voted America’s “Must-See Waterpark.” Dollywood offers all-inclusive vacation planning with a variety of overnight lodging options. For more information, call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD or visit www.dollywood.com.

Quick question because i don't remember. Backpacks, does dollywood have a bin for each ride? I remember that TT does but cant remember if TH does and does Wild Eagle have a place as well?

The only rides that do not have bins are the water rides. You will have to get lockers or have someone hold your bags for you.