TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I love staying at the cabins in Pigeon Forge. We have done those^ before during the christmas time and it was gorgeous. It was awesome looking down at the coasters,the christmas lights and it provided a wonderful view of the sunrise. Glad to see a water coaster coming to TN and I look forward to trying it out.

So, thanks to some last minute travel arrangements, it looks like I'll be taking my first trip to the park tomorrow! We originally would have gone on Thursday, but Dollywood's ridiculous schedule (closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays during peak season?!?) forced us to reschedule. 

So without further ado, a few questions for the locals:

1) Should I expect a crowded day, with the possibility of having three days' worth of guests funneled into one day (due to Tuesday and Thursday being non-operating days)?

2) Would the Q-bot be a wise choice if it is a crowded day? I'm usually not happy with only one ride on major coasters, and anything that could maximize re-rides is surely of great value. 

3) Any suggestions on food? Besides the legendary cinnamon bread (where does one purchase this?), I have no idea what to expect food-wise, other than it being delicious. 

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'll be sure to post a TR when we've returned to civilization!

1) They're not open daily now because a lot of schools are going back, it won't be insane, but you will still see some crowds.

2) YES!!! Even if it's just 'slightly busy' get the Qbot! It's also very cheap at Dollywood compared to other parks. Mystery Mine can have some issues during the day which usually gives it a longer line.

3) Eat anything from a Skillet. If you want real traditional Southern Food the Ham and Beans place is a good choice as well. Cinnamon Bread is at the Grist Mill.

Dollywood also has great regular theme park food. Funnel cakes and turkey legs are awesome at Dollywood. If you're looking for desserts, the Spotlight Bakery at the entrance has good sweets to satisfy a sweet tooth. Every time I visit the park I end up at Red's Diner which has great American-style food (hamburgers, chicken, french fries; stuff you'd find at a diner). Red's is a great place to eat.

So, thanks to some last minute travel arrangements, it looks like I'll be taking my first trip to the park tomorrow! We originally would have gone on Thursday, but Dollywood's ridiculous schedule (closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays during peak season?!?) forced us to reschedule. 

So without further ado, a few questions for the locals:

1) Should I expect a crowded day, with the possibility of having three days' worth of guests funneled into one day (due to Tuesday and Thursday being non-operating days)?

2) Would the Q-bot be a wise choice if it is a crowded day? I'm usually not happy with only one ride on major coasters, and anything that could maximize re-rides is surely of great value. 

3) Any suggestions on food? Besides the legendary cinnamon bread (where does one purchase this?), I have no idea what to expect food-wise, other than it being delicious. 

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'll be sure to post a TR when we've returned to civilization!

1) Well, it's hard to know in advance, like any park. In general, the park can seem crowded and the ride lines are short as many guests are there to do other things than ride the rides.

2) Qbot is a good value at dollywood, and if you're only there for one day i would suggest getting it. There's a lot to do and see at Dollywood, Qbot helps make sure you can do most or all of it!

3) Cinnamon bread is at the iconic Grist Mill, which is at the bottom of Craftsman's Valley...hard to miss the grist mill. I have two favorite places to eat, both are in Craftsman's Valley - Granny Ogles Ham n Beans - all red meat and potato dishes, with pinto beans and cornbread at the table. Miss Lillians Chicken House, is a buffet - the biscuits are OMG good... But really, there are lots of options to try. Have Fun!

Every time I visit the park I end up at Red's Diner which has great American-style food (hamburgers, chicken, french fries; stuff you'd find at a diner). Red's is a great place to eat.

I'd stop short of "great" when describing Red's. It's an "okay" burger at best. The place ain't "bad," it's just that when you're at Dollywood, this should be the last place on the list that you end up at.

I agree about red's food being standard theme park but the resturaunt fits the theme of the area it's in. We usually eat at aunt grannies, a buffet , or granny ogles ham and beans if it's nice enough weather. Sometimes we eat at the backstage but I think they changed their menu this year.

I just had my first Dollywood experience and it was a great day. What we did with food was try all the skillets and split them up. The park has plastic knives out and we just cut them up. I couldn't decide so it really worked out cool and we got to try many different things, sausage, baloney, cheesteak and chicken, all good. We had bread first thing of course and on the way out nearly unloaded the taffy bins. Some of the taffy was old days Cedar Point good.

The rides and attractions are all good, the three of us all had Wild Eagle at third. Thunderhead is from the baby Jesus, I care for it deeply. Slidewinder is cool, Mountian Adventure is cool and unique and Barnstormer is too short just like all the Screamin Swings I have been on, still fun. County Fair is a cool little change of pace after the first go around on the big rides.

I love Craftsman's Valley. Those folks really build stuff there, pretty neat.

To me, Ham n' Beans is quintessential Dollywood. Otherwise I would go for Miss Lillian's Chicken House and hope Miss Lillian is in- it's dinner and a show for a pretty decent price for a theme park buffet with excellent food. This is considered our slower time of year, as most area schools are now back in session. There will be some crowds but they will be much lighter than this time a few weeks ago.

Dollywood also has great regular theme park food. Funnel cakes and turkey legs are awesome at Dollywood. If you're looking for desserts, the Spotlight Bakery at the entrance has good sweets to satisfy a sweet tooth. Every time I visit the park I end up at Red's Diner which has great American-style food (hamburgers, chicken, french fries; stuff you'd find at a diner). Red's is a great place to eat.

The chicken strips I had at one stand tasted suspiciously like Arby's....

^Had it for the second time last weekend. It is pretty decent and definitely the largest slice of pizza I have ever had. Out of all the skillet food at the park, I would say my favorite is the chicken flat bread sandwich at PaPaw's Flat Bread. I just realized I neglected to get one on my last visit.

Well, Arby's has good chicken!

Well, Arby's has good chicken!

I know, I just found it odd...maybe the park uses the same suppliers?