TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I posted a link several pages back to a news story that i cant find, but Dolly herself said that Dollywood was taking a year or two off from adding stuff and instead focusing on fixing existing attractions, upkeep, etc. Now Splash Country may have expansion plans tho...

Edit: Found the post on page 294.

I saw this story over the weekend and i thought this was an interesting comment from Dolly...

Just like the Imagination Library, Dollywood continues to grow. This year, the Wild Eagle takes flight and more plans could be on the way.

"We got a lot more property to build on. We try to brainstorm every year to see what we're going to come up with next," said Parton. "We spent a lot of money on this ride so we may kinda keep everything up to date and stop a year or so," she laughed.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/31050800/detail.html

Dolly was in town for the Pigeon Forge parade and to open up the new festival at Dollywood.

Whatever attraction that is in our future will be at least 2014 or 2015, in order to focus on upkeep. That's probably a wise thing to do.

Going off of what you just posted and the sound clip posted by Dollywood, it should be pretty simple to put two and two together.

I wonder what they could add to Splash Country? SC is already pretty "well rounded" in terms of what's available from the industry.

The Wilderness @ the Smokies just added a 'looping' water slide (Wild Vortex i think is its name) to their collection, and they have a funnel ride (storm chaser), and a flow rider...those are three things that Splash Country does not have (just pointing out what their closest competition is doing here). I wonder if they'll go one of those routes or something completely different? A water coaster/master blaster type ride would be a pretty cool addition...and they could use the terrain...but those are pretty costly and after Wild Eagle i'm not sure that seems likely. Hmmm....what other types of water rides/attractions is SC missing?

Personally, i'd like to see a "not-so-lazy river"...something like what was installed at one of the Schlitterbahn parks for 2012. Not quite white water, but definitely not a lazy river either.

We won't have to wait long for an announcement about Splash Country.

It's going to be a busy weekend for Dollywood. On Saturday, Dollywood officials will announce a major expansion at Dollywood's Splash Country water park.

Owens would only say the expansion will be "a first for Tennessee" and the largest in Splash Country's history.

This story is about Coaster Con happening this weekend at Dollywood.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/harris/2012/06/coaster-con-headed-for-dollywood.html

I'm going to guess it's one of those new fangled water coasters, but with DSC there are plenty of things it could be.

I just don't get where they're going with the superhero/comic book stuff. DSC seems like it has a charming theme, I hope they aren't going to do something lame theming-wise to pander to kids.

Bump since I'm going tomorrow. Do you think I'll hit any traffic going in tomorrow at 230-3ish?

Are you heading straight to the park at that time, or are you going to a hotel. If so, where is the hotel located? If you are going straight to the park, by all means take Veterans Blvd. They have recently widened much of the parkway between Kodak (Exit 407) and Sevierville, so that should help traffic.

Dollywood's Splash Country Announces Tennessee's First Water Coaster for 2013

RiverRush Combines Thrills of a Land Coaster with the Sensation of Rushing Rapids

http://dw.dollywood.com/riverrush/

Dollywood's Splash Country Announces Tennessee's First Water Coaster for 2013

RiverRush Combines Thrills of a Land Coaster with the Sensation of Rushing Rapids

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn., Jun 16, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Adding a second history-making coaster to The Dollywood Company's roster, Dollywood's Splash Country announces RiverRush, Tennessee's first water coaster, set to open in May 2013.

"At Dollywood, we made history with Wild Eagle, the country's first wing coaster, so I thought, why not do it again at Dollywood's Splash Country with my new RiverRush water coaster," Dolly Parton said. "You know me. I love making a big splash, and RiverRush is all that and a whole lot more!"

"RiverRush is a product of the next generation of water coasters, and we are thrilled that Dollywood's Splash Country will be home to Tennessee's first and only water coaster for families to enjoy," said Amy Owenby, Vice President of Waterparks.

A hydromagnetic coaster, RiverRush combines all of the powerful climbs, plunging drops, thrilling twists, and tight turns of a traditional land coaster with the waterpark's calling card -- water -- for the very latest in waterpark experiences.

Initially propelled by a high-speed conveyor belt, RiverRush's four-person toboggan-style boats climb 237 feet in preparation of a plunging 25-foot, 45-degree drop. Standing four stories tall, RiverRush's tube track takes riders past the trees as it navigates three additional drops powered by linear induction motors. What follows is a thrilling combination of multiple hairpin turns and dark tunnels, all accompanied by rushing water. The track covers more than an acre in a newly developed area near the park's Big Bear Plunge white water rafting inspired slide.

In length, RiverRush's track will measure 1,175 feet, just one foot less than New York City's tallest building, One World Trade Center, dubbed Freedom Tower, which will stand 1,176 feet upon completion.

About Dollywood's Splash Country: Located adjacent to Dollywood theme park, Dollywood's Splash Country is a 35-acre water adventure park located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Named America's Must-See Waterpark by the International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions, Dollywood's Splash Country operates from Memorial Day to Labor Day and features 23 water slides, a wave pool, lazy river, leisure pool and two interactive children's play areas. For more information, visit http://www.Dollywood.com .

Media: Contact Dollywood Public Relations Manager Pete Owens at 865-428-9486, 865-755-7972 or by email at powens@dollywood.com for B-roll, photography and more information. Check the Dollywood Press Room at http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood-q10214-c1-Press_Room.aspx for updates and new images.

splash_painting_final1_3.jpg.a8196768346df69441cc58f499ed9b3d.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

Cool! I'm interested to see how they have reconfigured the entrance and the path up to the first platform.

Was there last week and did the zip line on Wednesday. The path up to the first platform takes you through WE station. Along the way are some great places to take photos of WE, if I had had my camera with me.

Had a great time on the zip lines, good guides, props to Randall, Benji, and Tony. Good group of people made it a ton of fun.

Very exciting, I just might need to try out Splash Country next year! Very exciting!

I think they've got a typo though, saying it begins with a climb of 237 feet... this seems a bit much for a four story tall slide, I'm guessing it's a 37 foot lift?

237 feet would be quite the conveyor belt ride....