TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Lol I wouldnt say that. I came to thta conclusion from looking at the onride video. To me, it looked like a couple shooting stars back to back. I could be completely wrong since I couldnt see much in the video as far as how the ride operates.

Those drop towers have a little trick up their sleave that makes them pack a serious punch. Near the end of the cycle, the whole vehicle goes to the top, and jolts/leans/tilts forward quite a bit, just enough to unnerve or scare the crud out of you.

Very effective, and I would love to see one in the States just to see people's reactions.

If you look at the video posted on the other page, watch the car carefully right before it drops for the final time, everyone yelps before they even drop because of the jolt.

There are plenty of off-ride POVs out there, I just didn't feel like sifting through all the crappy ones to find a decent one to post on here. If you have any doubts that this isn't at all similar to a Frog Hopper, search YouTube for one.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Timber Tower this season. If it is indeed never to run again, I assume that it will be SBNO for 2012, like last year and they will remove it next winter.

According to the Mountain Press, Timber Tower will probably be removed before the 2012 season begins.

http://themountainpress.com/bookmark/17530204--b-Timber-Tower-suit-settled-b-

PIGEON FORGE — Dollywood has settled the lawsuit it brought against the manufacturer of a malfunctioning ride that once trapped visitors in mid-air for several hours and spent more time on the ground than working.

Theme park spokesman Pete Owens confirmed Tuesday the deal has been inked and filed in court, though details of the agreement have not been released. Owens was willing to offer that visitors to Dollywood likely won't be looking up at the stalled Timber Tower anymore.

The ride, ordered from the Germany-based Huss, had issues from the start. Shortly after arriving at the park in 2006 as the first of its kind in the nation — a title it still holds as other parks have avoided the concept, apparently as a result of the local experience — began spending weeks at a time grounded.

The worst day for Timber Tower came on June 16, 2007, when the ride gondola got stuck at the top of the 65-foot structure. It was fully loaded with 40 people, some of whom were stuck there for hours as fire crews used ladders to rescue them. An investigation determined the safety system malfunctioned and would not allow operators to override its sensor.

Timber Tower was all but decommissioned after that and the $2.2 million ride, which came with a reported $2.4 million site preparation cost, has not operated at all in the last 18 months. The Dollywood suit, filed in Sevier County Circuit Court in September, argued the company owed it money for efforts to correct the problems, though it sought only $500,000, nowhere near enough to recoup the cost of the shuttered ride.

Owens said there are no public details of the settlement yet available, but indicated it's one both sides are satisfied with. The announcement of the agreement comes just weeks after Huss petitioned the court to dismiss the suit.

"We've reached a mutual agreement and we're not releasing any information about it at this point," Owens said.

Owens refused to comment on whether the park may be a little nervous about buying from Huss Park Attractions, the company formed out of the former incarnation of Huss that went bankrupt shortly after selling Timber Tower, in the future. In the past, he has said the experience has not made park officials shy away from trying new things and buying first-in-the-nation attractions, though.

As for Timber Tower, the ride may face demolition in the coming days as Dollywood prepares to open for the season in late March.

"At this point we are evaluating what we're going to do with it, with the anticipation that it will not return for the 2012 season," said Owens, who did not know if any dismantling has started. "As for the site itself, we're also evaluating the possibilities for what we might do with it."

dhodges@themountainpress.com

Read more: The Mountain Press - b Timber Tower suit settled b

I have a bit of trouble completely convincing myself I wouldn't have enjoyed Timber Tower, as it does look intriguing. However, since it was near-unanimously viewed as boring, I guess I can assume I would've been underwhelmed.

Too bad for Huss and Dollywood, though. Huss is responsible for some fun, thrilling rides.

Hot damn, so that's where all the theming budget went

That's one of the sickest statues I've ever seen. I can't wait to see it in place with the coaster in the background. Honestly, it's probably more impressive than the coaster itself. Who wants to take a bet on how many photos we're going to see of this thing in everyone's PTR's this season?

Dear Dollywood,

When transporting this beauty to the park, please airlift it, and please use a sky-blue helicopter that can't be seen from the ground. And please please please outfit the helicopter with giant speakers blasting bald eagle cries. 'Fly Like An Eagle' would work too, I guess.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Love it! It has so much character, and what a striking pose. Much more appealing than what I had imagined. I'm looking forward to seeing it up close. The photo ops will be awesome; I don't even care if they become cliched.

Oh, and one last thing...

Dear Dollywood,

When transporting this beauty to the park, please airlift it, and please use a sky-blue helicopter that can't be seen from the ground. And please please please outfit the helicopter with giant speakers blasting bald eagle cries. 'Fly Like An Eagle' would work too, I guess.

Sincerely,

Everyone

WOW! That's way better than I was imagining! That thing looks awesome!

Same!

I was very worrisome when I heard about the giant steel eagle sculpture, but this thing looks fierce! I really like it a lot!

I wonder if the sculpture will be positioned low enough to the ground for us to lay across it's talons. That way we could get pictures of ourselves being carried like a fresh kill. That would be awesome!