TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

To not drum away at a minor point, but the trains look a bit odd to me. I really had believed that they would do something that evokes an eagle without simply replicating it. Look at the trains for Cheetah Hunt, its a very stylized way of getting the point across, and maybe Busch Gardens had it easier with the way a lot of African art/masks look, but why not do something similar here? The Smokey Mountains and even Dollywood itself is known for a lot of the wood crafting they do. I always envisioned the trains having that whittling away look for some reason.

Thank you for the report. Everything is looking great and Wild Eagle is sure to not disappoint.

Looks like the transfer shed only holds 1 train. Is that correct Eric?

This should be correct, if only one train is running, they alternate the one that runs and keep the other one in the shop. The other train is typically stored in the station overnight.

The iPhone shots do look nice; too bad you didn't have the Nikon to get more angles! I agree about the theme; look at Tennessee Tornado and Thunderhead. Other than Mystery Mine and fire in the hole (which are part or whole indoor) you don't need additional props, all you need is the beautiful hills and valleys of Tennessee.

We all have opinions & I know others have already stated, but those trains are ugly. The station & the ride look fantastic. Its location is great the sculpture, the colors etc but yeah, I agree, after seein Swarms/Raptors trains, this was not what I expected. Its due to how impressive Dollywood has made things in the past, the trains here just are lacking that appeal. Maybe those beams under the eagle will be painted with the ride/park logo or be covered. So I hope its doesnt remain that bare.

& I still think X-Flight whether I'm biased or not has the best layout of the four. It still seems Wild Eagle has the prototype appearance of Raptor. Its gotta be the straight drop & loop. Swarm/XF have the more modern day drop that impresses me.

Regardless, WE will be a great addition & I look forward to the amount of work dolly will have to it in the future & riding it. Im sure it will be enjoyable.

Thank you for the report. Everything is looking great and Wild Eagle is sure to not disappoint.

This should be correct, if only one train is running, they alternate the one that runs and keep the other one in the shop. The other train is typically stored in the station overnight.

This is a first for B&M if I'm not mistaken. I thought there was a reason that B&M coasters couldn't stay overnight on the track as it would ruin the wheels or something along those lines.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks so, but this harness type doesn't feel confortable... it's more like claustrophobic than confortable... Just an opinion.

Although you're strapped in a lot better than with regular OTSRs, you're also a lot more exposed. There's nothing blocking your peripheral vision.

And you won't get any headbanging either, even on a rough ride.

2117696746_Billy-Costacurta-e-valerio-Staffelli-su-Raptor-a-Gardaland1.thumb.jpg.07302b1801c01ea24fd3f0791729f3e5.jpg

500244929_mirabiliandia_351.thumb.jpg.987a2a832683955f4393432f1c1c8873.jpg

^This is true, but the strap itself keeps fixed when you adjust to it, so you can't move yourself a milimiter (except arms and legs), and that's what I mean. It's like you're trapped.

Sitting in the seat with the restraints down, I didn't feel trapped at all! It was extremely comfortable. The vest-like restraint did not feel constricting, it simply stretches out to fit your body type, where as a normal OTS restraint is more rigid and not so forgiving.

Check out the video I posted where Pete Owens is discussing the restraints on the trains. I believe it starts around 2:30 in the video:

If they truly wanted to be true to the area they would have had t-shirts covering the seats. And on those t-shirts would be airbrushed bald eagles riding American flags.

LOL!

I think this one will definitely look the best when the trees start growing around it. I'll take lush greenery over extensive theming any day.

One thing though - I hope that they get rid of those chain link fences and replace them with something more "natural". They sort of ruin the look of the ride for me.

Maybe I should leave for Orlando a day early so I can stop at Dollywood for a day...

This is a first for B&M if I'm not mistaken. I thought there was a reason that B&M coasters couldn't stay overnight on the track as it would ruin the wheels or something along those lines.

I don't know anything about B&M's policy with other coasters, but there is definitely only room for one train in the maintenance/transfer shed. So, tntornadox is correct. The other train will have to sit in the station overnight.

I'm guessing the structure being built around the queue for sidewinder is also for the opposite problem too: guests in line throwing things at Wild Eagle trains? It's hard to tell how long the coverage stretches but I'm betting that would be a more dangerous problem. I've seen plenty of morons (stupid teenagers) attempting/succeeding at throwing things at moving trains (mainly Millennium Force right by the station).

This ride looks amazing! Having said that, I agree the design of the trains is a little dull/repetitive, but at the same time it's more than a lot of trains get. I'd say it is just fine... and really, do you think it will matter to the GP or even enthusiasts if it's a great ride? Also stated, who knows, maybe there will be some finishing touches added?

One thing though - I hope that they get rid of those chain link fences and replace them with something more "natural". They sort of ruin the look of the ride for me.

Seeing how there was a fresh coat of brown/tan paint on them, I'd say they are permanent. That doesn't say they can't landscape around them though!

I'm guessing the structure being built around the queue for sidewinder is also for the opposite problem too: guests in line throwing things at Wild Eagle trains? It's hard to tell how long the coverage stretches but I'm betting that would be a more dangerous problem.

I'd say that shelter covers roughly 30-40 feet of the queue. It mainly accounts for the area where the trains dips down low enough to the on the same level as the queue (the transition from the Immelman to the Flatspin). So, with that being said I agree with you. They will also prevent Sidewinder guests from throwing stuff at Wild Eagle riders.

I think it's at the parks discretion if they want the transfer shed to be able to accommodate all trains or all but 1. Tatsu's transfer shed only houses 2 trains.

It probably depends on space allotted for the maintenance area as well.

Going back a bit, the restraints do lock when the ride is open (the vest does not allow you to move foreward). You probably didn't feel it whilst in the storage area. They are better than the old B&M restraints, but they are much more restrictive.

EDIT: I was also very excited to see how the trains came out. I don't think they are as good as Swarm's, but they are still beautiful!