TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^You should be okay tomorrow or Friday. The coasters will run as long as the temperature stays above 41 degrees.

Get there at opening and ride the coasters first as the forecast is calling for 50's during the day.

Edited by ernierocker

^Even if you've been to Dollywood a ton, SDC is different enough to justify the long journey. Both parks are among the best in the country. Though it's a matter of personal taste, I found SDC to be *slightly* better because it is every bit as charming/nice/scenic as Dollywood, but with better rides. SDC seems to get overlooked because of its out-of-the-way location.

I whole-heartedly agree! I visited both 8 days apart this summer, and to my surprise I actually preferred a lot of things at Silver Dollar City. I think Powder Keg is the best ride at either park, and Silver Dollar City's Splash Battle is one of my all time favorite rides, much better then Dollywood's for many reasons. Although I loved TT and Adventure Mountain, and I think DW is the slightly better park, I felt SDC had more charm to it. I'd also be more into a terrain-hugging GCI at SDC then Wild Eagle

Dollywood looks like such a beautiful park. And the food that is raved about there speaks loudly to both my wife and I, making a visit there in the near future a downright certainty! Their coaster lineup looks pretty nice too!

I think they did a marvelous job with the setting for Wild Eagle. The view as you crest the lift is going to be pretty sweet! It might not end up being crammed full of forces, but it still looks like a real solid coaster.

I visited both parks for the first time this season too. I enjoyed both, but I ultimately preferred Dollywood. Actually, for two parks that are similar, they have a lot of differences... the coasters are all different types, SDC has Marvel Cave (which is AMAZING, having never been on a cave tour) but Dolly has Adventure Mountain and so many more shows. SDC's coasters allow you to admire the mountain valleys since you're on top of a mountain... but then walking up and down the mountain is a chore!

Both are definitely great parks... both very different from the big thrill parks, with great atmosphere and stuff you just can't do anywhere else.

Indeed, the park is now officially closed for the year, we really wrapped the season up with a bang, some of our busiest days of the year were experienced at the very end... now, onto 2012!

Also, coasters operate until the temperature strikes 36 degrees, a little late, but it's good to know information regardless, I think.

P.S. Random info- but Wild Eagle's height requirement is gonna be 50 inches, that's the shortest B&M requirement I know of, thought some of you would find that interesting.

Also, coasters operate until the temperature strikes 36 degrees, a little late, but it's good to know information regardless, I think.

Interesting. Has this always been the case or is this a new policy? I have always heard it was 41 degrees.

P.S. Random info- but Wild Eagle's height requirement is gonna be 50 inches, that's the shortest B&M requirement I know of, thought some of you would find that interesting.

I don't think it's interesting, I think it's about time! The newer B&M's are soooooo gentle and smooth that there's no reason they should have a higher than 48" requirement! If X2 is 48", there shouldn't be any ride higher than that!

^^^^ I find that really interesting. I think it would fit perfectly with the type of rides Dollywood has to offer! ^^ SharkTums is right it is about time! I does annoy me whenever I am at Six Flags Great Adventure and my younger sister can't ride Bizarro, which has a 54 height restriction but, I guess it's just the ride operators jobs to cut of the littler ones.And if it is true that X2 has a 48 Height Restriction, then it is about time B&M lowers the restriction!

Interesting. Has this always been the case or is this a new policy? I have always heard it was 41 degrees.

I had heard that it was 41 degrees to open them, but after they were open they could keep them open until the temp dropped to 36. Perhaps this is a warming up thing? I don't know, it seems logical. All I know is that last week when I was there we rode Thunderhead in 37 degree temps. I had icicle tears streaming from my eyes. It was awesome!

Remember when Dollywood hinted that there was going to be something record-breaking about Wild Eagle? Well here you go!

Wild Eagle Makes History

History will be made when Dollywood's Wild Eagle, the first steel wing coaster in America, takes flight in March 2012.

To accompany this historic ride, Dollywood will unveil the country's largest flying eagle steel sculpture, too.

This one-of-a-kind piece of art will feature a horizontal wing span equal to a four-story building and weigh more than four tons.

Visit Dollywood on YouTube for the exclusive video that takes you inside sculptor Kevin Stone's British Columbia studio for a first-ever glimpse into the making of this massive work of art. Be the first to see yet another leg of this incredible journey toward the opening of Wild Eagle at Dollywood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_lL_vaVVw

Edited by ernierocker

Wow, a sculpture with a 40 foot wingspan is pretty impressive and I'm sure that it will look amazing. I wonder where they will put the thing, somewhere near the entrance or que I would assume. The description kind of reminds me of the Manta ray sculpture at the aquarium in Tampa.