TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

No way! That's ridiculously fast. I seem to remember steel coasters taking so much longer to construct back in the old days, I guess they've gotten it down to a minimal number of pieces these days that go together as quick as possible. Neat to see how these rides are improving in so many different ways over the years.

I find it strange everyone is calling this a "terrain" coaster though. Other than the hillside it scales for the lift, the ride is up and above the ground for the majority of the layout. When I think of terrain coasters I think of Balderdash, the last half of the Ultimate, Mountain Flyer, and such. It's more of a "scenic" coaster... or something.

No way! That's ridiculously fast. I seem to remember steel coasters taking so much longer to construct back in the old days, I guess they've gotten it down to a minimal number of pieces these days that go together as quick as possible. Neat to see how these rides are improving in so many different ways over the years.

I find it strange everyone is calling this a "terrain" coaster though. Other than the hillside it scales for the lift, the ride is up and above the ground for the majority of the layout. When I think of terrain coasters I think of Balderdash, the last half of the Ultimate, Mountain Flyer, and such. It's more of a "scenic" coaster... or something.

Time has indeed changed. Many early steel coasters were welded together. This as you can imagine made it a much longer process and also made relocation a pain. I am not sure who or when the tend went to nuts and bolts, but it has made the process a lot quicker and saved a number of rides for relocation. Intresting enough I know of one coaster build in 1999 that is welded together and that is Steel Eel at SWSA. The track segments are bolted, but they are welded to their supports.

As far as this being a terrain. There is no HARD way to say what is and is not terrain. Just because something rises high above the grade or not. I my mind a terrain coaster is one that makes that land around it a major part of the ride vs the ride being a part of the land. SKC and Ratttler are two examples that come to mind for me.

If you’re going by the definition of terrain then that might apply to almost every coaster built outside of a parking lot….that’s why the land is surveyed, measured and supports are custom built. Some coasters make better use of their terrain than others, that is for sure, but “technically” there doesn’t seem to be a right or wrong answer to this. RCDB classifies Tatsu as terrain, as well as Iron Dragon at CP…not sure what to make of that….sort of arbitrary really.

We just got some photos from Dollywood showing the vertical loop being completed! Construction is flying by! (pun intended)

1787355003_WildEagleDropampLoop.jpg.55cba60ac2f61af245fc1b2088d9ba55.jpg

Crane is in place to put in the final piece of track! Nice view of the first drop going into the loop.

8.JPG.45af5a084ca43c939dc4e1ecd0fd0a88.JPG

There's the final piece of track being hoisted into place!

9.JPG.afefbf273a2965dd8a6589f731d6ff05.JPG

Almost got it.

12.JPG.893c0bb4d16994224ed5e8c7252053c6.JPG

Voila! The loop is finished!

Mother of G-D SLOW DOWN!!!!!

At the rate steel is going up on this thing, they'll be boarding the train NEXT WEEK! Right now, they're opening the queue up, as by the time I post this, the ride will be finished and testing.

(I've NEVER seen a coaster go up this fast... it's insane.)

R.D.

Mother of G-D SLOW DOWN!!!!!

At the rate steel is going up on this thing, they'll be boarding the train NEXT WEEK! Right now, they're opening the queue up, as by the time I post this, the ride will be finished and testing.

(I've NEVER seen a coaster go up this fast... it's insane.)

R.D.

Ensuring you are America's first wing rider? Priceless.

Some roller coasters are beautiful because of their support structure, others because of custom theming, but nothing is gonna be as impressive as this coaster.

Wild Eagle is really gonna bring a new experience to its riders. Even with only the first two elements in place I can already say that this will be the best coaster coming in 2012. If only I didn't live four states away from Dollywood :'(

Was the aerial photo shot from one of the cabins above Dollywood? Impressive view!

1013010756.thumb.jpg.3ab926d1f0ec92e004f59c15f0ec2383.jpg

WILD EAGLE LOOP COMING TOGETHER

1013010759.thumb.jpg.6f5c4729cc8cd70e4da71b2f02bdf45d.jpg

1013010800.thumb.jpg.05b33aa784b256c86415b7ca3697ddd4.jpg

1013010813.thumb.jpg.c580c8b0f6b8eddddc6dba636ac2d2cb.jpg

1013010836.thumb.jpg.e36e5d741471567f731be2ce2327c8db.jpg