TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Nice update, I'm really looking forward to following the progress of this attraction through your Blog. The pictures that I see of this construction site the more impressed with the project I am. Depending on what other surprises Dollywood has in store this may end up being on of B&M signature attractions.

^We know the layout of both X-flight and Wild Eagle. X-Flight has the dive off the drop and the awesome heartline spin, both elements unique to wing riders. Wild eagle has a loop, a barrel roll, an Immelmann, and a corkscrew, in addition to the hill and helixes at the end- all of which can be found on any other floorless or sit-down Beemer. All I'm saying is, I was looking forward to those new elements as much as I was looking forward to the trains. : /

It may be just me but heartline spins and the dive off the drop are nothing new under the sun. Hydra starts off with a heartline spin and the dive off the drop, a la z force, isn't all that brand spanking new. Im just saying, everything on every wing rider can be easily found on another coaster being that the only think different about riding a wing walker and a floorless is the fact that you are just situated on the side of t he track vs on top.

Something interesting: on the 'In the Loop' podcast, the Dollywood PR guy was talking about how they had gotten lots of different pitches for the installation, and they had only specified the amount of money they were willing to spend. The only pitch that he specifically mentioned was that the park was interested in a Mack 'Blue Fire' type ride, but went with the Wing Coaster.

Gonna be a great ride, the layout seems simple but again people need to take into account of where this ride is going in, I was honestly expecting more "wow factor" because of the layout but when it's built it definitely will deliver the "wow factor" when we see it complete because of how large it will be. Thumbs up to Dollywood for this!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one having problems with the official site? Everytime I click on the links at the top all it does is refresh the page and tell me the tab has been recovered. It's been like that since day one for me.

One quick comment about the length of the brake run, I think that has to do a lot with the location of the ride. If you look at some of the construction photos, and the ride stats you'll notice that the lift height is almost 200 feet but the drop is only 135 feet. In some of the recent pictures on the blog you'll notice also that there is a very steep hill that the lift climbs on and over to reach the top of the mountain where the majority of the ride layout is. Basically the station is at the path level, and the ride is on the top of a ridge 50-70 feet above the path level. The long brake run I think is to get the train back down to the level that the station sits on.

I believe that the concrete section in the bottom right of this picture is the station area and this pic was taken from the crest of the ridge where the majority of the track layout is, pretty high up there!

This is going to be one of the most beautiful coasters in the world.