TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I gotta agree with others regarding theming. If Dollywood is the only of the 3 wing riders with no keyhole elements, that is really surprising, and disappointing.

However, Dollywood is definitely high on my list for visiting next year. I haven't been for about 10 years.

-RO

Looks like an amazing addition for Dollywood! Can't wait for details on the New Hotness trip!

As for the SFGAm vs. Dollywood question, they will be be very different experiences, with different first drops, layouts, locations, themeing, etc. So I think it's very hard to say now which one was the better addition, as they both look stunning!

To me, the layout really suggests that they were trying to emulate both SDC's Wildfire and Carowind's Intimidator. It will tower above the park like Intimidator, but it's short, inversion-filled layout with helix finale is very much reminiscent of Wildfire. The more I look at it the more I'm sure that's what the primary influences were for this ride.

In fact, it almost seems like this may have originally been intended to be a floorless or sit-down model like Wildfire, but they changed it to use the Wing Coaster trains when they became available. This ride has probably been in development longer than the other Wing Coasters that have been announced this year, which may explain the more traditional layout.

For a cool $20 million though, I have to say I was hoping they'd get a bit more bang for their buck, but I guess all that earth-moving is pretty expensive. Wildfire was only $14 million, and there isn't all that much more to it than this.

POV-6-200-feet-above-ground-HD.thumb.jpg.5cbacbad8e934d8e0b39c3e7401bc38e.jpg

Here's the 3D layout btw. Gives a better impression about how it will actually fit.

Can someone exlain to me why people are disappointed about this ride not having the keyhole element. That makes this ride unique. Every other wingrider has it. It will increase the feeling of flight and openess not having it i think.

P.S. - I think this will follow the terrain, but not strictly. The 3D art on the official website shows it being built right up against the hillside, but i can imagine the ride will poke out above the treeline a little.

^Nothing is being removed next year. These are the kind of wild rumors that pop up from the general public with every new ride announcement.

Can someone exlain to me why people are disappointed about this ride not having the keyhole element. That makes this ride unique. Every other wingrider has it. It will increase the feeling of flight and openess not having it i think.

P.S. - I think this will follow the terrain, but not strictly. The 3D art on the official website shows it being built right up against the hillside, but i can imagine the ride will poke out above the treeline a little.

Well, this kind of ride just lends itself so well to those kinds of theming interactions. I don't think anyone is disappointed about the lack of a specific keyhole element so much as we are disappointed about there being apparently no theming at all. I expect more details and surprises to pop up as this thing is built, but what we are currently looking at is DW's most "plain" coaster yet, and it just happens to belong to a type that is being used extensively with theming. Very out of character for the park, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Right now it certainly looks like they are making a careful effort to keep the trees as close as possible, so these will make up for some of the lack of thematics if nothing else. They won't be too close because of how far the reach envelope will have to be from the track, but at least it'll be shaded.

Imo just judging by looks X Flight looks the best of all the wingriders so far, imo this ride looks like it was suppose to be your average floorless coaster. They just decided throw wingrider trains on it and an insanely long brake run. I'm sorry but for 20 million this ride couldn't be more vanilla imo. Sure it will be fun, sure it will be good for the park but for the hype that was built up around this thing I'm disappointed. I could care less about a key hole the ride just looks flat out cookie cutter B&M, I will say it still doesn't look as boring as Raptor so I guess that's a good thing lol.

WTH is up with B&M and these outrageously long brake runs, Levi was like um ook but this one is down right ridiculous lol

Typical of me to be late to the party...

First, I love the logo even though it reminds me something you'd find on the back of a motorcycle gang's jacket.

I think the disappointment in the ride is that it doesn't fit with what so many had hoped or expected the ride to be. Consider the terrain this ride is being built on. X-Flight appears to do more since it won't be restricted by any hilly terrain. Wild Eagle may look like a run-of-the-mill B&M but the inversions seem very oversized to give you a greater sensation of flying.

I applaud Dollywood for adding something you'd only expect the big boys to build.

What's up with B&M's new coasters and their long drawn out brakes at the end. Ride looks amazing btw

WTH is up with B&M and these outrageously long brake runs, Levi was like um ook but this one is down right ridiculous

I just got off the phone with 'em. Their reasoning is that they're going to install microphones along the entire brake run to try and capture as much bitching and pointless conversation as possible.

What's up with B&M's new coasters and their long drawn out brakes at the end. Ride looks amazing btw

WTH is up with B&M and these outrageously long brake runs, Levi was like um ook but this one is down right ridiculous

I just got off the phone with 'em. Their reasoning is that they're going to install microphones along the entire brake run to try and capture as much bitching and pointless conversation as possible.

Tis only September, and vertical construction has begun......leaves many opportunities to add more extensive theming after the ride is completed. I would imagine that so called long brake run to have some kind of added flair to it, maybe a bird coop fly through element? LMAO