TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Interesting, definitely looks like an amazing coaster, but if I'm a little let down that they're just using that hill to prop the coaster over the park, like they want it to stand out and tower over everything. It seems like this is a response to Carowind's Intimidator, and that Dollywood is quickly headed in the direction of being simply a "coaster park". I had hoped for a little more ingenuity and creativity in the design.

I would hardly say that Dollywood is just becoming a coaster park. In the time between the two coasters (Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle), They have added the S&S air-powered swings (actual model name is eluding me right now), the splah battle, And zipline course. Not to mention the fact that they also have TONS of things for everyone to do. I ofton recommend this park to people at work or to friends of mine. Now if they had two other coasters or so added in between Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle, I might begin to agree with you, but considering what the park had added and continues to have, I think that is a bit of a reach.

-Gary

Sure, but by "coaster park" I'm referring to the GP's perception of a park filled with big rides. The fact that they've added Barnstormer and a Splash Battle in quick succession between 2 massive coasters definitely supports that. However, it's easy to forget that they recently spent a year just to focus on their line of shows, and of course the Adventure Mountain addition shows that the park is still striving to be unique and offer things other than just bigger and crazier rides. I'm just worried that this addition will be yet another chip in the park's old-fashioned charm. Like I said though, this will definitely be a wait and see scenario, as I have a feeling that the final product will look WAY better than the concept art suggests.

I'm also still wondering about that theming. Maybe more details on that will be forth-coming?

Everything about Boomsday seems to be going awry though. All of DW's carefully laid plans seem to have been thwarted by weather and IT issues. Oh well, they got everyone's interest piqued, and that's all that matters in the end.

Nice, the official site has a much better 3D view of the coaster that shows how it will interact with the terrain a little better:

http://dw-2012.com/details/layout/

What's with the incredibly long break run though? Still no mention of any theming either...

The construction photos they have on there show the turnarounds are literally covered with trees though, that will be pretty sweet.

This is certainly enough to get me to the park sometime next year. Not only does the layout look fantastic, but the fact that it will be up on a mountain above the park makes it all the more impressive. Now all I'm waiting for is the rendering of the trains - by the description, they'll look amazing.

Beautiful looking coaster, i was expecting a more terrain hugging layout but i do like the way it'll fly over the trees and this amazing amusement park, doing awesome inversions.

Can't wait to see more construction updates, and follow the progress of this beauty going up!

All in all, looks like an amazing addition to an amazing amusement park!

Thank you Dollywood!

What's with the incredibly long break run though? Still no mention of any theming either...

Thats where the eagles-on-a-stick pop out I am predicting. If Disney can't get it to work I bet Dollyworld can.

Edit: whoops, I would change it but I do kinda like it as Dollyworld instead of Dollywood.

Edited by omnio55

Well it's been all of one hour since the ride has been announced, I guess I'll be the first one to start bitching about it, lol

In all seriousness, I have a few conflicted feelings toward the ride. First of all, I've got to say that it looks a bit short. We've got a straight drop, 4 "classic" (meaning nothing crazy, interesting or new) inversions and then a small camel back hill into a couple of twists, and the ride is finished with what seems like a needlessly long break run. Not exactly the massive, terrain-hyper coaster some were expecting. It's going to be a great and thrilling ride no doubt, but I expect to hear some of these sentiments repeated over and over again in the next few days.

The fact that this announcement follows closely on the heels of SFGAm's is especially going to dog the ride, as of course we will be constantly comparing the two. Honestly, SFGAm's looks like a more interesting layout. A few theming elements on DW's model could change that, but at the moment it looks like that might be just hopeful thinking.

Still though, a new B&M is a new piece of heaven, and we can't forget that come opening day, this ride will surely be a fantastic addition to this park. I'm on tenterhooks to see how it really turns out, but as experience has taught me, the finished product will probably be way better than the concept artwork suggests.

Leave it to Dolly to stand up to the big boys. Take that, Six Flags. LOL

LOVE DOLLY!!!!!!!

I like X-Flight's layout better (control tower keyhole and inclined first drop). SF did just fine.

I don't think DenDen meant specifically SFGAm or even X-Flight. He was just saying that even a park like Dollywood, which doesn't often go head-to-head with the "big boys", is upping their game with this coaster.

That's at least how I took his comment. Not a personal attack on your home park.

Am I right Den?

I imagine we'll see the return of the "high terrain versus low terrain" debate that split fans when Tatsu was announced. Put me in the category that likes flying over the trees as opposed to among them. I do agree that at least on paper, the SFGam ride looks more interesting, but I have to say these wing riders as a whole look FAR more interesting and fun than the flying coaster, even though Tatsu is my favorite modern B&M looping coaster up to now.

Wow, how many times did I twist and turn on that one!

I'm very happy for Dollywood. This coaster is a smart move for the park. I think if the park wasn't already on the map already, it will be with the opening of Wild Eagle.

With that being said, I'm not blown away by the layout. I was envisioning more of a ground-hugging layout with few "above the treeline" moments, along with perhaps a few unique elements. I was hoping there would be some "Iron Butterfly 2.0."

Maybe there will be more themeing elements that weren't included in the concept art. It wouldn't be the first time!

Needless to say, I will be visiting Dollywood at some point in 2012!