TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

So a few years back I shot some video at Dollywood. Finally got around to editing some of it together. My first attempt at a theme park video follows:

I really enjoyed the video, nice job!

2 more weeks kiddies. My anticipation for WIld Eagle has been raised since the B&M Giga announcement. I hope Dolly does a terrain coaster or at minimum something unique. I have a feeling that the rumored 180 foot loop might be more like Kumba's zero G roll but much higher. A big drop into that element would be a nice start. I would have a little pre drop to get speed and then have it dive off the edge of the mountain into a 240 drop followed by a huge Zero G roll. That would be majestic! Have it raise up a little just at the edge of the mountain like a big eagle would before diving down. Here is my layout: Lift, pre-drop, little raise for realism ( I hope someone understands that), big drop, huge zero-g roll, small forceful airtime hill, Zero-g roll opposite direction, Some awesome helix turn-around, airtime hill, in-line roll, airtime hill, airtime hill, brakes.

That all sounds fine and dandy, but wouldn't a massive inversion sort of ruin the park's atmosphere? Thunderhead, at 100 feet, just barely scrapes through the trees. Part of the thing that I think makes Dollywood neat is that you really can't see anything sticking up above the tree line until you get close.

^You have to remember. A lot of this ride will be hidden in the ridge between Craftsman Valley and Timber Canyon. I am still not exactly sure how much of this ride will actually be visible from the park. Plus, there are some nice differences of elevation in the footprint of the ride. They could easily pull off some pretty large drops and loops while blending in with the natural terrain.

If anything, this might be the mother of all terrain rides; Dollywood has already hit it out of the park (hehehe) with some real winners for terrain; TT, for example, fits snugly into the valley- and has some wonderful interaction with the terrain...

I'm pulling for something truly awesome, along the lines of a terrain coaster on steroids, with some interesting interplay like TT does. Either way, they don't make mistakes there, and I know I'll be there opening season for it...

That all sounds fine and dandy, but wouldn't a massive inversion sort of ruin the park's atmosphere? Thunderhead, at 100 feet, just barely scrapes through the trees. Part of the thing that I think makes Dollywood neat is that you really can't see anything sticking up above the tree line until you get close.

I am hoping for my first Dollywood trip for 2012 so you very well may be right. I know they will make something great and Dolly will want to keep it charming in the park. But I really hope they make a big noise with this one. I think most people are expecting something on par with the best rides out there. If you aren't going to launch it, there has to be a big drop. B&M seems to be trending in a good direction, I am expecting more than just a standard WIngwalker for Dollywood.

B&M seems to be trending in a good direction, I am expecting more than just a standard WIngwalker for Dollywood.

They don't have any "cookie cutter" Wing Coasters in the portfolio, so I think you'll be fine.

You know you're a TP code geek when...

Dollywood is now revealing hints about their new for 2012 coaster (Duh!) and if you answer trivia questions right, you get pieces of a 'puzzle'

Here's the first one I decoded from them:

DW20121.jpg.7aa1a28607fd20092db18b3fca7abf29.jpg

Well, it's looking like a coaster. Sort of. Exceptions may apply.

R.D.

^^Either that's an Immelman, loop, diving loop (or a drop like on The Swarm too), or some sharp vertical turnaround.

Either way, to me it looks like some *average* animation. I was really hoping for some great animation for this attraction, but I don't know about that now...

^^Either that's an Immelman, loop, diving loop (or a drop like on The Swarm too), or some sharp vertical turnaround.

Either way, to me it looks like some *average* animation. I was really hoping for some great animation for this attraction, but I don't know about that now...

So have you lost all hope now?

I'm sure this is a B&M Dive Machine!

Look at the picture, in the front of the photo you can see a support that is thicker than the one holding (what i think) a firstdrop in the background! The thick support in the front is holding the highest elevated track on the coaster, which would be a block brake like on Krake before the left turn and then the first drop.

Also look at how the support holding the track in the background, it's leaning forward like on Krake, which is the most recent Dive Machine of B&M!

That screams Dive Machine to me! I mean, look at Krake at Heide Park in Germany. With the right angle, this photo could be a edited photo taken from Krake.

Look at this Picture.

Untitled.png.ac2621cd8409ecd4ece6bb710cd6e44e.png

Look at this picture and see if you can see what i mean.

Edited by Gerstlauer1

Look at the picture, in the front of the photo you can see a support that is thicker than the one holding (what i think) a firstdrop in the background! The thick support in the front is holding the highest elevated track on the coaster.

Also look at how the support holding the track in the background, it's leaning forward like on Krake, which is the most recent Dive Machine of B&M!

That screams Dive Machine to me! I mean, look at Krake at Heide Park in Germany. With the right angle, this photo could be a edited photo taken from Krake.

Look at this Picture.

DMs don't have curved drops.

Look at the picture, in the front of the photo you can see a support that is thicker than the one holding (what i think) a firstdrop in the background! The thick support in the front is holding the highest elevated track on the coaster.

Look at this Picture.

DMs don't have curved drops.

???? Dude, even if i said that? Look at the picture, does it seem more curved than the pic i posted of Krake?