TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Dollywood does not discriminate in any way, shape or form against anyone, especially LGBT people. There are a large number of homosexuals that work for the Company... Dolly Parton herself is one of the so-called 'gay icons'.

This was a case of a gate host using his/her empowerment to prevent any issues that could potentially arise. Not saying it was the right choice, but I can see both sides of the coin here.

EDIT: Thanks jynx242.

Edited by tntornadox

^ the phrase you are looking for is "Gay Icon," and that she is. She had a wonderful interview in Out magazine talking about how much she loves her gay following and was quoted saying if she weren't born a woman, she'd be a big ole drag queen with her wigs, boobs and fake nails.

One thing is for sure, I'm getting some of that freakin bread. Is it really that good?

My first trip to Dollywood will be next year. I was very close to going around Christmas but got screwed big time. Dollywood is currently number one on my must do list. I would love to do Dollywood, Cedar Point, Hershey, Kings Dominion and BGW next summer. Next year would be a great year for that trip.

^ the phrase you are looking for is "Gay Icon," and that she is. She had a wonderful interview in Out magazine talking about how much she loves her gay following and was quoted saying if she weren't born a woman, she'd be a big ole drag queen with her wigs, boobs and fake nails.

Dolly owes much of her success to her Gay following, lord knows whether butch or girlie, she's still a Goddess on earth. There are so many drag queens who model themselves after her that it would be hard to find the right one in a crowd. After all, it was her holding the Graham Norton Boob Pillow in his visit to Dollywood a few years back...

(If you've not seen that episode- FIND IT.)

This is rather disappointing. From the Human Rights Campaign:

Dollywood Official: No Admittance in “Marriage is so Gay” shirt

I know it's Tennessee and all but is there any way the problem was with the "is gay" part. The shirt forces someone to make a judgement call and that call isn't always going to go your way. If it is your intention to go to a park and have a nice time why not just leave the bumper stickers at home. This isn't anti gay just anti friction, theme parks are for fun IMO.

^^I have the same shirt, and I've worn it plenty of places without a problem. I understand the gatekeeper (assuming it wasn't homophobia on his part) wanting to make sure the shirt isn't going to cause any problems, but that isn't up for him to decide.

But it actually is. Dollywood empowers those employees to make judgement calls on these type of situations.

Once again, as a member of the community myself, I don't think it was the right decision, but I respect the company for empowering employees the way they do and I am certain this issue will be addressed.

This is rather disappointing. From the Human Rights Campaign:

Dollywood Official: No Admittance in “Marriage is so Gay” shirt

I know it's Tennessee and all but is there any way the problem was with the "is gay" part. The shirt forces someone to make a judgement call and that call isn't always going to go your way. If it is your intention to go to a park and have a nice time why not just leave the bumper stickers at home. This isn't anti gay just anti friction, theme parks are for fun IMO.

I agree with this. And personally, what I think is more disappointing is not the park asking the woman to turn it inside out, but the woman make a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal. The fact that she was using this to probably further whatever her own little personal crusade is, and doing it at the parks expense, is probably exactly the type of friction the employee was trying to avoid in the first place, but in this unfortunate case it back fired on them.

This is a VERY fine line to have to skate on, and a very difficult judgement call to have to make, I'm disappointed that more people cannot see that.

As someone who spent a lot of time working at a family theme park, and have actually myself been in the situation where I've had to ask a guest to turn a shirt around, I can actually side with the employee here.

...and yes the bread is that amazing!

Edited by robbalvey

But if what's she's saying is true and there are Confederate flags on t-shirts, where are the people telling them to turn their shirts around? That would offend more people I know than any sort of "gay propaganda".

I don't mean to come off as overly defensive. I guess I'm done after this one. Probably best.

^ It's Tennessee... If you make a visit down there without seeing a Confederate flag than it shouldn't be considered a trip to Tennessee!

But I'm actually going to have to agree with Robb on this one about how I'm more disappointed in the woman than the employee in this case. The employee was just being extra thoughtful and careful for the crowd of Dollywood as a whole. It isn't like they said anything against the community, but just simply trying to stop her promotion. It is simple, if you don't want cause a problem at a place where are a paying guest, don't wear anything that could be considered even slightly controversial. You are going there to ride rides, eat, watch shows and not to promote your sexual preference/beliefs/wants/ect. And no, I'm not against the community at all, I feel like this would have been a safe decision for any questionable subject.

I swear, some people just love and take any chance of publicity they can get...

Also, only 43 days until the Boomsday Announcement!

But if what's she's saying is true and there are Confederate flags on t-shirts, where are the people telling them to turn their shirts around? That would offend more people I know than any sort of "gay propaganda".

Really? Who f'ing cares? Turn the shirt inside out, and shut up. Why? Because no one cares. It's not a big deal. STOP MAKING IT ONE!!!

Besides, how do you KNOW that someone wearing a confederate flag shirt with an obnoxious or slightly offensive saying ALSO hasn't been asked to turn one inside out? We don't know that because no one has been stupid enough to turn something that's not a big deal into a big deal...until now.

Edited by robbalvey

Damn...I knew we should have tried the bread! When we walked by the Gristmill, I told Michael that I remembered someone commenting on TPR about trying the bread. But after we chowed down philly cheese steaks, sausage sandwiches and curly chips with cheese and chili, I think we had met our caloric intake for three days. We just couldn't pack in any more food!

As far as the whole shirt thing, not gonna touch that one. I loved all the senior ride op's at Dollywood and don't think I have ever seen folks that seemed to take such pride in their jobs. It really does make one feel even more welcome in a park when someone checking your lap bar asks you how you are doing today and if you're having a good time. Only other places I have encountered that charm was at Cedar Point (on occasion) & Disney. I know there are probably others (Busch parks, Hershey, etc), but they don't seem to stick in my head like Dollywood and some of my CP visits.

As charming & nostalgic as Knoebels & Kennywood are, a lot of the ride op's & food stand employees could use a lesson in proper customer service - only factor of those parks that left me a little disappointed. Six Flags & Cedar Fair (except CP)...well, we won't even go there!

I have to completely disagree with those that are blaming this woman. She wasn't stirring up trouble. In fact, she DID comply and turn the shirt inside out, because she was there with kids and didn't want to cause a scene. I know people that own this shirt (its a fund raising shirt for a non-profit) and they wear it as just another T-shirt, not as a way to make a statement.

This specific employee (not Dollywood as a whole) was saying the phrase "marriage is so gay" is offensive, and shouldn't be allowed at a "family park." What if the employee had told someone to turn inside out a shirt that said "African Americans should be able to marry?" What about the thousands of people that wear shirts with Christian messages to Dollywood? Are those offensive? After all, aren't those people wearing those shirts to promote their ideas? Isn't it a "bumper sticker" for their beliefs?

One of the reasons there is homophobia and discrimination against gays in this country is because many people don't think they know anyone who is GLBT. It's easy to classify gay people as the "other." There are some who are very anti-gay, but then they find out one of their friends or family members are gay and they start to change their mind. So, in effect censoring a shirt that talks about gay marriage is yet another way of keeping gays in the closet, removing them from public view.

So yes, it absolutely is Dollywood's right to tell her to turn that shirt inside out. It's a private company. But I still don't think they *should* have made her do it, although I can sympathize with the employees who have to make tough decisions like this.

I'm on this forum all the time but rarely post. However, on this t-shirt issue, I think many of you are looking at it wrong.

I agree with the employee on this one. I also think he was being sensitive TO the gay community. How many times have we seen the tv commercials denouncing the use of the phrase, "that's so gay..." or heard the same criticisms from the gay community. They claim to be offended by it. Then they go and wear the phrase on a t-shirt and it's ok, just because it promotes their own agenda? You can't have it both ways here, people.

I'm definitely no stick in the mud, and I get that the t-shirt is a parody of a derogatory phrase, but not everyone in the park who reads it would understand. I don't see an issue with the employee's decision.

I have to completely disagree with those that are blaming this woman. She wasn't stirring up trouble. In fact, she DID comply and turn the shirt inside out, because she was there with kids and didn't want to cause a scene. I know people that own this shirt (its a fund raising shirt for a non-profit) and they wear it as just another T-shirt, not as a way to make a statement.

This specific employee (not Dollywood as a whole) was saying the phrase "marriage is so gay" is offensive, and shouldn't be allowed at a "family park." What if the employee had told someone to turn inside out a shirt that said "African Americans should be able to marry?" What about the thousands of people that wear shirts with Christian messages to Dollywood? Are those offensive? After all, aren't those people wearing those shirts to promote their ideas? Isn't it a "bumper sticker" for their beliefs?

One of the reasons there is homophobia and discrimination against gays in this country is because many people don't think they know anyone who is GLBT. It's easy to classify gay people as the "other." There are some who are very anti-gay, but then they find out one of their friends or family members are gay and they start to change their mind. So, in effect censoring a shirt that talks about gay marriage is yet another way of keeping gays in the closet, removing them from public view.

So yes, it absolutely is Dollywood's right to tell her to turn that shirt inside out. It's a private company. But I still don't think they *should* have made her do it, although I can sympathize with the employees who have to make tough decisions like this.

One of the things that makes me nuts about the whole debate over the shirt is this: Chances are, she was making a political statement to make a stand/make a purposeful intent to push her identity and political values into the faces of everyone around her.

I can say that would make ME extremely uncomfortable, if I were a park guest, as well as a person in public in general.

As ou can see by my name, I DON'T hide in the closet- it's too full of shoes to begin with. But unless you met me and asked, I don't think anybody would ever know. I am, as one person called me, the Stealth Homo, hidden from view- but not in the closet. Every time I see somebody wearing a shirt like that (at the mall, the airport, etc.) I feel pretty damn uncomfortable- as it suddenly opens the eyes to more people that they are making a political statement- and in some cases, the people wearing those shirts are NOT the best representitives of the gay populous as a whole; indeed, look what gets the best coverage on TV during June: Leather clad ladies on Motorcycles, and Men in faboulous frocks and wigs, or in shorty-shorts twirling a flag. Where are the pictures of people like ME???

Basically: Leave the politics to the marches and protests- don't take it out in the parks. You're in a place with lots of families, some of which have children who don't even know what being gay is- or for that matter, parents who are incapable of being able to explain that Aunt Edna is marrying Uncle Barbara. We are -never- going to achieve the transparant equality till we can stop pushing things in everybodys face.

The woman is making a big deal out of nothing. It's simple. It's obvious. It's disappointing that some of our members cannot see this. She didn't have to go to the press with this story. SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO GO TO THE PRESS WITH THIS STORY. But she did. Why? To create drama.

I'm not going to allow this discussion to continue any more, because it's simply just stupid, I hate dumb drama, and its' a perfect example of the "Ugly American" that can unfortunately exist in all of us.

Let's focus on discussing the park and how awesome it is. Not some stupid woman's crusade and whatever her personal agenda might have been.

Any further responses on this subject will be deleted.

--Robb