TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

For a second there I thought I was in the Hershey discussion thread.

Wait- OOPS. Wrong thread. I knew I was in the wrong place- I was so busy looking for a blinking letter combination! No wonder I've not seen anything from Stevie Ray Rose or Olivier Dekland in this thread....

New 2012 photos:

New excavation work.

Possible station?

Lift hill?

Completed footers next to Slidewinder's queue.

More.

More.

More.

This shot is even further past Slidewinder, closer to the lower train tracks... how far will this thing go?

Disclaimer: The following photos were taken from the Dollywood Express, where they are allowed.

Clear shot of supports AND blue B&M track.

More track.

More supports.

There is a ton of track visible from Thunderhead's lift. Whatever this may turn out to be, it's gonna be huge.

So I'm heading to Dollywood, visiting on the 4th of July. How have crowds been lately? Has anyone been to Dollywood on the 4th of July? Just wondering if I should get ready to spend money on a Q2Q or if I shouldn't worry about it. I do want to get more than one ride of the coasters of course. Any tips would be appreciated.

I've done it the past 3 years and let me say that most if not all of the parking lot will be filled. Even with a full parking lot the park won't feel too crowded. I would recommend getting the Q2Q if you are only visiting one day and want to ride the coasters more than once and ride all the other rides. Tennessee Tornado hardly ever has a very long line even on the 4th. Thunderhead and Blazing Fury's lines will be full, but they don't take very long to get through at all. Mystery Mine's will be slightly long depending on the time along with Adventure Mountain's. The longest wait of the day will definitely be Smoky Mountain River Rampage if you decide to ride that, but with the Q2Q you will be able to skip the whole 2 hour line which is AMAZING. One tip I must give though, if you want to ride the train, get there with plenty of time before it is supposed to leave or you will not get a seat.

But like I said, if you are going only 1 day you should get the Q2Q because you will easily get through the park. Also, if you don't want to pay the money for the Q2Q just get to the park when it opens and you will be able to knock out all of the coasters before the huge rush of people come. Oh and I don't know if you know this, but if you go to the park after 3 you get in the next day free.

The only bad part about going over the 4th is the god awful traffic on the Parkway (the main road) through Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. If possible, use the back roads!

Traffic can be avoided by coming to the park early and leave late. Use Veterans Boulevard as much as possible as it's a 4 lane empty highway most of the time. Alot of construction is occurring on Highway 66 (the main Parkway) so be ready for that.

So I'm heading to Dollywood, visiting on the 4th of July. How have crowds been lately? Has anyone been to Dollywood on the 4th of July? Just wondering if I should get ready to spend money on a Q2Q or if I shouldn't worry about it. I do want to get more than one ride of the coasters of course. Any tips would be appreciated.

The qbots at Dollywood are $15 a person. Granted, they're not "gold qbot" types, but you can at least reserve things remotely, and for that price I think they're pretty worth it anyway.

I like Aunt Granny's because it's good and it's buffet, so it's all you care to eat. Always fills me up for the day with, like I said, good food! Only bad thing is the price is a bit steep. $16 a person. That's steep to me but I guess is pretty average for a theme park.

Alright, I will post here the same thing I did on another site for the benefit of the overall community.

Updated satellite shot:

Legend:

Gray outline: Dollywood Express tracks

Orange outline: Construction zone

Blue outline: Completed footer zone

Brown outline: Current excavation work (that can be seen and confirmed)

Yellow circle: Possible station site from my earlier picture:

Small Orange dots: survey markers alluding to a lift hill, perhaps? As seen here:

I love this thread!

This has to be a clue. Pete works for the park. He referenced "thread" which relates to sewing. Betsy Ross is believed to have sewn the first United States flag. Ross lived and died in Philadelphia....home of the Eagles. Donovan McNabb was a "running" quarterback for the Eagles, hence "The sky is not the limit" clue.

It will obviously be a wingrider themed to Donovan McNabb's relationship with Betsy Ross.

I love this thread!

This has to be a clue. Pete works for the park. He referenced "thread" which relates to sewing. Betsy Ross is believed to have sewn the first United States flag. Ross lived and died in Philadelphia....home of the Eagles. Donovan McNabb was a "running" quarterback for the Eagles, hence "The sky is not the limit" clue.

It will obviously be a wingrider themed to Donovan McNabb's relationship with Betsy Ross.

^ This.

Thanks for all the advice! For $15 a person Q2Q looks like it'll be the best option for us. Also, I know there are a TON of places to eat with great food. Are there any places that stand out more than others?

It's definitely the type of park you can eat your way around. Basically any of the giant skillet food places are good. Also, don't miss the cinnamon bread at the Gristmill, and there's also a bakery towards the front of the park with massive baked goods that are tasty.

^I agree! I ate almost everything there and it was all incredible, but the cinnamon bread is the one thing that you can't miss. They bake them fresh daily so If you get there too late, or after TPR is there, they run out!

I like Aunt Granny's because it's good and it's buffet, so it's all you care to eat. Always fills me up for the day with, like I said, good food! Only bad thing is the price is a bit steep. $16 a person. That's steep to me but I guess is pretty average for a theme park.

That's actually really cheap to me. Do you visit theme parks often?

^I agree! I ate almost everything there and it was all incredible, but the cinnamon bread is the one thing that you can't miss. They bake them fresh daily so If you get there too late, or after TPR is there, they run out!

Agreed COMPLETELY. The food (especially the breads) are NOT TO BE MISSED. Dolly might be in the park- but the bread won't wait!

Just got back from the park and lunch about an hour ago. Had another great time! But as for a construction update, they are working very quickly. The ridge they just started clearing out when I was there Tuesday now seems to be the focus of the workers at the moment (the spot on the left side of the SkyZip platform). I'm not sure if there is going to be a massive footer, a trench, or even maybe, just maybe, a tunnel up there because the bulldozers were digging quite a ways down and the construction workers were going down so far you couldn't see them. So for anyone going to the park soon keep an eye out on that. Also, down at the base of the hill there is a lot of work going on behind the SkyZip building. They have carved out a lot of the hill and I'm thinking it will eventually have a concrete wall up against it. They have also poured a concrete building in the shape of a box down there which is more than likely going to be a part of the station for electrical, storage, ect. There is A LOT of shiny blue B&M track behind Thunderhead. I would love to share my pictures, but I forgot my camera cord back at home, so I'll upload them Sunday if someone else doesn't upload theirs by then. All employees are saying they haven't heard much if any at all. All you hear basically is different versions of this... "they are telling us it is going to be the biggest and like no other coaster in the park".

Also, I noticed this while in the Barnstormer queue today (since I rode it 5 times), there is a sign that says "To most people the sky is the limit, but to pilots it is home." I just kind of found that ironic since the slogan for 2012 is "The Sky Is Not The Limit". And, if you ride on Barnstormer facing the Slidewinder, you can obviously tell that there is in fact clearing all the way down by the train tracks (while at the top of swing).

Like I said, had a great day at the park for having a group of 8. Stayed from opening at 9 until 1 o'clock. No complaints today as the Country Fair section employees were much more friendly than when I was there on Tuesday! Also, I must compliment the woman working at the Barnstormer, she was the nicest thing. Very energetic and friendly trying to get the riders pumped up for the ride, she even let us pick what "stall" (seat) we wanted on the ride.

As for ride count... 5 rides on Barnstormer, 2 rides on Blazing Fury, Tennessee Tornado, Mystery Mine, and Thunderhead. 1 ride on Daredevil Falls and Mountain Slidewinder.

The PR Machine has kicked in for the new attraction, the following linked spots have begun airing on Knoxville's Star 102.1 (hits station) that is also responsible for the soundtrack for Boomsday. (Where 2012 will be formally announced)

Spot Link 1

Or for those of you too lazy to click it:

"On September 4th... Boomsday... the way you think about Dollywood will change... forever."

This is in addition to a spot that began running a few days ago:

Spot Link 2

Or....:

"On Boomsday... fireworks remind us the sky is the limit. And Dollywood will announce... that it is not."