TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favourite UK Amusment/Theme Park & why?

What's your favourite UK Amusment/Theme Park?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite UK Amusment/Theme Park?

• Adventure Island
    • Alton Towers
    • American Adventure
    • Blackpool Pleasure Beach
    • Botton's Pleasure Beach, Skegness
    • Camelot
    • Chessington World of Adventure's
    • Drayton Manor
    • Dreamland, Margate
    • Fantasy Island
    • Fantasy Island
    • Flamingoland
    • Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
    • Legoland
    • Lightwater Valley
    • M&D's Scotland Theme Park
    • Oakwood
    • Pleasure Island
    • Pleasureland Southport
    • Pleasurewood Hilfluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo
    • Thorpe Park

*REMEMBER* This is your favourite UK Amusment/Theme Park, not what you say is the best and start loads of arguements(although that is amusing), this is in your own opinon your favourite UK Amusment/Theme Park, and for what reason?

For me this is very hard, I have plenty of favourite parks here, like the classic fairground style of Botton's Pleasure Beach Skegness or my first ever park, Pleasurewood Hills and the obvious Thorpe, Alton & Blackpool PB, I honestly can't decide yet, I love Chessington aswell!!

I also have a feeling that a certain park won't get any votes, if it does get a vote, I wan't a bloody good reason for it! I think you all know what park it is! *AA*

*PLEASE NOTE* the list is long enough as it is, so I have left out lots of little parks, ie Gullivers, Wicksteed, UK Piers(Brighton,Blackpool,Clarence etc). So if your favourite park isn't listed please mention it anyway!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasure Beach Blackpool is my favorite. Been going there since I was a kid so I have many memories. Very closely behind is Crealy Adventure Park in Cornwall. The most FUN I have had at any park. Basically it's just lots of big ball pools and the craziest slides of death you have ever seen. I'm talking 30ft+ vertical slides etc.

Alton Towers, because, ...well DUH!

Well Alton used to be my favourite park until they turned greedy:

It's enough to have to pay £30 to get in but then you also have to pay £4 to park your car, and NOW YOU EVEN HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR FAST TRACK/FAST PASS TICKETS, AND YES I AM SHOUTING FOR REASON, THIS HAS MADE ME VERY ANGRY! You have to pay £5 to get on about 4 rides(you still have queue), it wouldn't be so bad if they allowed you to jump straight on the rides and you could use it an unlimited amount ofr htat day but no, you can only use it once per ride and you still hae to join the queue

Also they got rid of their classic Swan Boat ride and replaced it with a pay per ride speed boat attraction, and theirs another pay per ride coming this summer(some silly driving school) and theres mass amounts of games to play scattered everywhere, I don't mind the occasional hook a duck, but AT has gone over the top, well you wlak through merry england and you get bombarded with staff forcing things into your hands trying to get you to play/pay about £3 for a crappy little teddy, and outside the Runaway Mine train theres a giant golf course which costs about a fiver and theres that stupid golf challenge near Oblivion, the list goes on!!

Alton Towers, because, ...well DUH!

Well Alton used to be my favourite park until they turned greedy:

It's enough to have to pay £30 to get in but then you also have to pay £4 to park your car, and NOW YOU EVEN HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR FAST TRACK/FAST PASS TICKETS, AND YES I AM SHOUTING FOR REASON, THIS HAS MADE ME VERY ANGRY! You have to pay £5 to get on about 4 rides(you still have queue), it wouldn't be so bad if they allowed you to jump straight on the rides and you could use it an unlimited amount ofr htat day but no, you can only use it once per ride and you still hae to join the queue

Also they got rid of their classic Swan Boat ride and replaced it with a pay per ride speed boat attraction, and theirs another pay per ride coming this summer(some silly driving school) and theres mass amounts of games to play scattered everywhere, I don't mind the occasional hook a duck, but AT has gone over the top, well you wlak through merry england and you get bombarded with staff forcing things into your hands trying to get you to play/pay about £3 for a crappy little teddy, and outside the Runaway Mine train theres a giant golf course which costs about a fiver and theres that stupid golf challenge near Oblivion, the list goes on!!

Alton Towers is a business and so is every other theme park in the world. Making money is there main objective, but with more money you will get more attractions and more work done to the park, so you decide. Also alton towers is reasonable as I beleive that SFMM charge about $15 to park I believe but im not sure on that.

^Correct, but isn't every park a business trying to make money?

How come AT is the only park I mentioned about being greedy?

Thorpe Park: No parking charge and hardly any games, and no pay per rides

Best example is Pleasurewood Hills in Norfolk, not one single "fairground" game, no car parking charge and only £14 to get in and you only pay £14 once because you get a ticket which is valid all year to come back for £9, and when you go back you get another ticket for £9 entry

Now I think about it, is AT the only park (in England)to charge for parking your car?

What a lot of people are forgetting is how expensive it is to run an amusement park in the UK. Taxation is much greater than almost anywhere else in the world, hence why ticket prices are more expensive in comparison to most other places.

Alton Towers are not the only park to charge for parking. Blackpool, Southport, and Fantasy Island also require a parking fee in their car parks. And I'm surprised that a few more parks haven't taken this idea up. Thorpe Park could make a lot of money from charging a parking fee.

Tussauds Pass holders do get free parking at all their attractions with parking areas, so there are some perks for getting a pass.

As for my favourite park, I'd have to say Blackpool. They don't have the very best rides, but the history and the atmosphere is amazing. Alton Towers would come a close second.

But those other parks that charge for parking are free entry!

Ok, fine it must cost alot to run a park but why is AT the only park to have loads of money making schemes? No others do, it's just greedy

Charging for Fastpass tickets is one step too far!

Also AT, TP, CWOA & BPB are the only parks in england that charge nearly £30, everywhere else is between £10-£20

I wouldn't call Tussauds greedy really. They just happen to be the biggest name in theme parks over here, and justifiably so, and they get singled out because they are so far ahead of almost all the other parks in business terms.

Any effective charge for parking will have already been factored into the ticket price at those lower charging parks. If they felt the need to charge an additional fee for parking, they would.

And look at the sort of rides those lower charging parks have. With the exceptions of Oakwood and possibly Drayton Manor and Flamingo Land, the rides aren't that great. And Flamingo Land and Drayton Manor will hit £20 in a year or so anyway.

Charging for Fastpass is a great idea in my book. It's common place in America, and it works really well. It's also only really necessary if you are going at the busiest times of the year for most parks. I went to Six Flags Over Georgia last Sunday, and rode all the available credits and big rides without the need for a Fastpass/Q-bot in about 3 hours.

*SHOCKWAVE* Your obviously not bothered about AT's payper ride

attractions,which is fair, but it in the last year or 2 Alton got rid of their swan boats and replaced them with the payper ride speedboats things and now this year there getting rid of some other rides in cred street(The Cred Street Carousel and Vintage Cars) to add another payper ride attraction, so what's Alton Towers going ot be like in say 8 years.................

I suppose in a way it could be a good thing (chargin for fast pass)if you have alot of money.When I went to Thorpe Park last Sunday I never saw anyone with a fast pass ticket, I never even saw anyone go up to Stealth' fastpass counter, but like I said it would be good if they had unlimited use but as you can only use 1 per ride, thats naf!

There must be a reason for CWOA & TP not to charge car parking!

Here's one very random question, What's happening with the Sky Ride at Alton Towers? I heard that last year it had serious problems and a load of people got stuck above the gardens and had to rescued by a helicopter, then I hear that they will be getting rid of it, but then it went quiet for a while and I went to AT last week and it wasn't open, which wrecked my day, well im normally knackered at the end of the day when im at Alton but this time it was a hell of a lot worse, my legs were dead!! Whats happening to it? I also noticed that NONE of the "pods" were in any stations!!!! That can't be good news!

WOW Someone's voted for Botton's Pleasure Beach in Skegness, I'm glad that got a vote as it's a fun little "fair ground" style park!

Who voted for it? and why?

Woops I didn't know I was the last person to reply to this topic!Sorry

Alton Towers by a long shot, its got the nicest atmosphere, beautiful surroundings (unlike Thorpes concrete jungle) and of course the best reason, quality coasters.

The pay per attractions don't bother me, you don't like them? Simply don't use them then and theres only 2 or 3, its not really a big deal. The car parking is one thing I don't understand but I have an Annual Pass so again it doesn't bother me.

Yes the park have had a couple of rough years (2003 and 2004) but last year was a real improvement with the park much cleaner and effects etc. been fixed. This year seems to be another step in the right direction with the park reportedly shiny clean (which I couldn't say for Thorpe when I visted last Sunday) the addition of CCF, which looks like its going to be a really good family ride which is just what Alton needs and theres also going to be a driving school attraction open in July.

Oh yeah and Alton have Nemesis!

^That driving school is another pay per ride attraction, and they have removed to rides to add this, so what will alton be like in a few years? Will more rides be removed to make way for pay per ride attractions?

I think that the manager of Alton has been playing on the original Rollercoaster Tycoon, where you can charge an entry fee and charge per ride!

WOW Someone's voted for Botton's Pleasure Beach in Skegness, I'm glad that got a vote as it's a fun little "fair ground" style park!

Botton's rocks WOO HOO !! - at least they have there coasters open unlike Fantasy Island

I certainly did not vote for Bottons, It was a tough choice but I voted for Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

As much as I like Alton Towers etc, you cant beat Blackpool 'Overall'. Some quality Coasters, It's history etc

^That driving school is another pay per ride attraction, and they have removed to rides to add this, so what will alton be like in a few years? Will more rides be removed to make way for pay per ride attractions?

I don't know where you got that information from because as far as i'm aware it will not be a per pay ride attraction, it will have a height limit but this is good as Alton didn't have enough kiddie rides. It is replacing the Vintage Cars, which was outdated and dull and a Carrousel of which there is another one in the park anyway. So a worth while swap, really.

Thorpe Park's atmosphere can only be described as chavy. You get people smoking in your face, shouting obscenities at each other. It's quite an intimidating place.

I can never decide between Alton Towers and Blackpool.

They both offer such unique and amazing experiences.

i voted for lightwater valley,because it was the first themepark i visited in england.(I had been all over america riding coasters,but i had never been on one in my own country!)anyway,this park had a good layout,and i really enjoyed their indoor rolerocater,the ultimate and their shoot the chutes ride!

Alton towers is the best, as I will now explain.

It has history:

The HUGE gardens and valleys were created by the 15th earl of Shrewsbury and his so-called army of gardeners and craftsman. It is a unique element that makes Alton stand out so far and what better way to see them than the sky ride. Alton's history has also had many great rides in its past that have been removed to make way for new ones, let us not forget the beast the NEW beast the Alton mouse the thunder looper and the black hole as well as many others. Alton also has the towers that are the largest private house in Europe. It was also rated among the top 6 parks in the world and voted Britains top tourist attraction.

The rides!

Alton has a good reputation for world class rides and has once boasted the worlds longest log flume as well as the first flying coaster 'air' that’s still awesome even with the likes of Tatsu, we were also blessed with the worlds first drop coaster Oblivion that IMHO still boasts the best drop of any coaster in the world and let us not forget Nemesis, one of the first B&M inverts and as everyone including B&M would agree its best invert with harrowing G forces and many many near missies and inversions. Also we must look up to the huge river rapids, great fun for big groups! As well as many favourite for the youngsters such as the run away mine train the flume, tweeny world and many more places I dont visit because I favour the white knuckle experiences Alton has to offer.

The environment.

As stated already nothing much can compare to Alton’s gardens, Towers and Lakes that are kept VERY clean, theres a great variety of places to eat and at competitive prices for a theme park, take pizza hut, you can get a small pizza, a side and a drink for less than a £5, that’s better than the high street! Also Alton’s not crammed in like some of the pleasure beaches, also as you enter the world of Alton towers on the monorail your will pass over the breathtaking sites of Nemesis, Air and the river rapids.

As for the so-called high prices you should gladly pay! Just look at how many legendary attractions are being built every year, recently we have seen spinball whizer, Rita, Hex (goes without saying that Hex is the best ride of its type in the world) and the newly made charley and the chocolate factory, as well as these pay rides... I haven’t been on the speed boats but they look great much better than the lousy out of date swans, and I would be prepared to pay for these as they are not large capacity so its a good idea to keep them to guests who REALLY want to ride them and are willing to pay alittle extra, instead of letting the kids ride them all day long leaving the adults Q’ing all day for something they would be prepared to pay for without the wait.

So lets look over the facts, best rides in Briton if not the world, best location and setting in.... The world, great for all the family even grandma, spectacular shows and events, its also been 'keeping up with the Jones’s ' for decades and is the jewel in the crown for the Tussauds Group.

So who’s better? Blackpool? It might have a big one but its old and abit rubbish and lets face it there other rollercoasters are all pants and they dont get many new ones and its not very picturesque is it? Maybe Thorpe park? Its catching up with Alton but will never have its luxurious setting.

However for me the thing that makes Alton Towers so magical is the Magic of Alton Towers.... Disney land with its silly plastic castle makes me laugh its about as magical as its silly verkoma rides.

i would have to say a little park named 'camelot' would have to get my vote. many of you in here would probably not have heard of it as its nice and tucked away in north west england in a little place called chorley.

i would have to choose this park simply because the first ever inverted coaster i went on was at this park.

to fill you in on this park...

camelot is medevil themed and is famous around the north west for 'excalibour' which got demolished and they later decided on 'excalibour 2'

i cant think of anything else really but closely following camelot would have to be blackpool and finally alton towers!

*FREEFALL*, your telling me Blackpool Pleasure Beach doesn't have any history? IT HAS LOADS, and its all about rides, Alton Towers' history is about gardens and a castle!

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the most ride intense park in the world, it has nearly 150 attractions cramed into 42 acres!

And I really don't care if Blackpool had the Big One or not, I would much prefer a day out a BPB, c'mon how far do you have to walk to get to a coaster?

Many,many parks can offer brilliant themeing/landscaping etc, but nowhere in the world can offer what Blackpool Pleasure Beach can offer, that is why Blackpool Pleasure Beach is one of the most popular amusment parks in the world, FACT!

Even though I've said all this, I do love Alton Towrs but I found BPB much more fun and a hell of a lot more to do, and even though it's open 12 hours a day(when I visit), I'm still not tired at the end of it, but after 6 hours at Alton my legs are dead, the worst case for this is the X-Sector, its just one big, steep hill, I'm surprised theres not a load of wheel chairs piled up near Submission!

I do really like Alton Towers, and it is the UK's NO.1Theme Park but BPB is one the best Amusment Parks in the world!

Also you don't like Disney themeing but you love/adore/cherish Altons?

You honestly think BPB's coasters are old and naf? You also think Disney themeing is naf, and that Big Thunder Mountain at DLP is crud, I know everyone's entitled to their own opinions but c'mon!!!!

By any chance, do you work for Alton Towers?