• Thunderbird
    • Kentucky Rumbler
    • Kentucky Rumbler
    • Ozark Wildcat

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No new GCI's for me this year, but I tweaked my bottom 5 of shame after re-riding a couple. I noticed the 10 I've ridden are split evenly between very good to excellent (all being top 20 material) and poor to slightly above average.

Top 5 in order: American Thunder, Prowler, Thunderhead, Renegade, Lightning Racer

Bottom 5 in order: Roar West, Wildcat, Gwazi, Apocalypse, Roar East

Of those 5, Roar West is head and shoulders above the other 4, which I rank very closely together. I had what may have been my best ride on Wildcat this year; I finally felt a few hints of airtime, while skipping the characteristic roughness that plagued my rides in 2012. I was pleased that Apocalypse really delivered with the one or two early pops of airtime I had previously remembered, but the rest of the ride was too short and uninteresting to redeem it.

If you haven't ridden Gold Striker do it now. Like tomorrow. Break into the park, and ride it tomorrow. Just tell the cops I said it was ok.

Jay - If I'm going to break the law I'd rather hijack a plane and ride Wood Coaster at Knight Valley.

• 1 year later...

The three GCIs I've ridden are Renegade, Ozark Wildcat, and Gwazi (Lion Side), and my favorite is without a doubt Renegade. It is just a great all around coaster that's intense, out-of-control, and has some good airtime. It has been a while since I rode OW and Gwazi (Lion), but all things considered, Renegade is still my favorite GCI.

Based on POVs, I think Gold Striker looks like the best GCI woodie out there. Thunderhead looks great too.

I think that we should update this poll to show the new GCIs like Prowler, American Thunder, and Gold Striker, among others.

Unfortunately, the options in the polls can not be updated.

Ultimately we don't like poll threads on TPR because they tend to became skewed towards rides the most people have ridden even before the poll becomes dated.

I've only been on the GCI's at Hershey, and I LOVE Lightning Racer. Although its forceless (alot of GCI's are...), it packs a punch and the dueling aspect is soooooo fun. Plus there's never a wait.

Wildcat is amazing. I actually love the roughness and it adds to the fun. Being jerked around adds a thrill that many coasters don't have now a days. I don't feel like I'm riding a coaster from the 90's, I feel like I'm riding a coaster from the 20's that defies the odds when I'm riding Wildcat.

I've only been on the GCI's at Hershey, and I LOVE Lightning Racer. Although its forceless (alot of GCI's are...), it packs a punch and the dueling aspect is soooooo fun. Plus there's never a wait.

Wildcat is amazing. I actually love the roughness and it adds to the fun. Being jerked around adds a thrill that many coasters don't have now a days. I don't feel like I'm riding a coaster from the 90's, I feel like I'm riding a coaster from the 20's that defies the odds when I'm riding Wildcat.

I agree with every word of this post! My favorite is probably the red side of Lightning Racer but Wildcat is a close second! It has the perfect balance of speed and roughness that make it feel old school and thrilling at the same time.

Woah, I just realized I've been on all of the GCI woodies. What's interesting is that I'm not even sure I have a "favorite" as they all kind of seem like very similar rides to me. I know which one I like the least - Gwazi. And I know the ones that in my mind probably stand out the most if someone says "GCI" to me - Ozark Wildcat, Lightning Racer, White Lightning, Kentucky Rumbler, El Toro.

None of them are "bad" rides (maybe aside from Gwazi), but none of them really crack my top 10 either. I've certainly had a great deal of fun riding them, but I'm not sure a GCI woodie has really "blown me away."

• 3 years later...

BUMP

Still haven't been on all that many, but since I've ridden two in the past few months...

1 White Lightning

2 Lightning Racer

3 Invadr

4 Roar East

5 Wildcat

Rode Invadr over the weekend, really enjoyed it.

I feel similar to Robb. Basically every GCI coaster I’ve ridden I would describe as “fine.” Enjoyable, but unmemmorable. Here’s how I’d rank those I’ve ridden:

1. American Thunder (Evel Knievel at the time)

2. Lightning Racer

3. Mystic Timbers

4. Apocolypse

5. Thunderhead

5. Kentucky Rumbler

6. Gwazi

7. White Lightning

8. Wildcat

Adding Troy, Joris en de Draak, and Wodan in May. Actually very optimistic about that last one.