TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flashback at SFMM Re-Opening???

i feel like sutch an outcast because i love psyclone, flashback, and viper.

While Psyclone isnt THAT bad, and I've never ridden flashback, I do agree that Viper is awesome. Its my favorite ride in the park, no matter how bumpy it gets, its the only ride that is truly intimidating to me. I just wish it wasnt as trimmed through the corks.

As much as I'd like to see it, I dont see flashback opening anytime soon. However, maybe under new management and after Tatsu is all said and done, the money they usually get for a new ride will go to rehab. Is DLR getting brand new monorail trains? Maybe SFMM will snatch one or two of the old ones up on Ebay Rollercoasters ....thats a joke, the guage is wrong and the train would get stuck in the tunnels and stations.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering all they REALLY have to do is bring the trains into code...Yes. It would be WAY less expensive to rebuild the trains as opposed to demolishing the ride.

Let's not forget they also have to buy a new PLC and Panel for the ride as well...But, that's not very much...Just get a couple of PCs and stick them in the PLC room under the unload section of the station...

I must say, that I love Psyclone, Flashback, Viper... But I hate Riddlers Revenge, If they must tear down a coaster, Riddlers has my first vote... I always feel so... violated after riding it.. Mabye its because im so tall? I would love to see FB run again... but we all know that will never happen. But hell... at least it looks cool(ish - mabye a new paint job) sitting there.

I'm actually surprised this thread is still going. Absolutely NOWHERE has there been any sign or mention of Flashback returning to service this year or any year.

And if it were to be a "Shaprio" thing, IMO all the guy would have to do is take one ride on it, or hell, talk to someone who took a ride on it to know it's better to bulldoze the damn thing than to re-open it!

IMO, the reason why SFMM hasn't been touting the whole "more coasters than any other park" which this season, technically they would have BEATEN the record (not just tied it like in previous years) because Flashback can't be, and won't be counted.

The ride is toast. At least in my opinion. You can always re-live it through our POVs!

--Robb

Just wondering Robb, would you really want this coaster demolished? It's the only existing Space Diver to my knowledge. And, as mentioned on this thread, if you practice "defensive riding"" it can be painless and instead just one hell of a rough (but outragously fun imo) experience. Even if unpopular, I'd rather them replace the wheels, spruce it up, and reopen it rather then destroy a very unique design in coaster history. What would any of you give to ride a 'spinning' wooden coaster rumored to have been built in the 20s? Sounds painful, but also fun.

Anyhow... I love this little 'neckbreaker', and would love to ride it again.

they cant reopen it, it causes to many problems with hearing for the lifegaurds next door at hurricane harbor, though it was an awsome ride

Flashback still has a chance for the winter season. Also, they could use quieting wheels and add a sound barrier to flashback.

I had a thought based on the past couple of postings.

One- I could see if that makes sense in not opening the ride (noise level) if the nearby waterpark complains about the noise (lifeguards). It actually could be a safety issue with regards towards the WP.

Secondly, I believe that Giovanola was the mfg of the ride (designed byMr. Stengel from Intamin?). If Giovanola is no longer mfg (amusement) rides anymore, what issues would be involved regarding parts maintenance, cost in having Intamin supply those parts (if most of the items may be outdated anyway) and who would actually be able to supply any spare parts during train teardown maintenance? I agree with the other comments as well, but I really believe the cost to get the ride running efficiently and maintenance is far to great for their overall budget. (I wouldnt be surprised if Mr. Shapiro had some comments about this very ride as well).. Wonder if B&M would built something like this into their ride portfolio and add the trains with a floorless chassis..lol

This weekend I'm going to sneak up to the Flashback station and take a few pics. I went up there about two weeks ago and I was shocked in what great condition it was in. I truly believe this ride can be rehabbed, but the question is if SFMM will do it or not.

~CHRIS-O

I really hope that SFMM replacesFLashback with a spinning coaster. I think a spinning coaster would be great for SFMM since its good for the family and unique for people in CA since the closest spinning coaster not at a fair is in Worlds of Fun! Flashback sucks and should be replaced with a spinning coaster.

This weekend I'm going to sneak up to the Flashback station and take a few pics. I went up there about two weeks ago and I was shocked in what great condition it was in. I truly believe this ride can be rehabbed, but the question is if SFMM will do it or not.

~CHRIS-O

Agreed. Take lots of pics! I want to see everything! =P

It's the stuff you can't see that would make rehabbing flashback a poor investment.

Low "readings" (ridership)+the need of a new electrical system+what I'm sure will be a bunch of mechanical items that need to be repaired/replaced=not money SFMM is going to invest in Flashback.

I'm guessing they will remove flashback within the next couple of years and expand Hurricane Harbor.

My best bets are that its either going to get turned into a backstage area, or a Hurricane Harbor expansion. I think I'll hope for the Hurricane Harbor expansion; although a few manager portables would be really awesome too!

_six

Okay, been gone for a while and not sure if anyone else has posted this up, but we employees have had a few flyers going around that list the rides planned to have rehab and reopen........Flashback is on the list. Sky Tower is also there (they've been working on it, and a few of my friends have been getting trained up there), Deja is there too, Psyclone, and I think even Metro might have been on it too.......will check tomorrow. I haven't seen them doing any real work over there though, last time I took a shortcut behind the Metro station (right past Flashback), it was just as faded and rusty as ever.

However, with the new super hero tie-ins that the park has been doing lately, is it possible that they could re-do Flashback to involve something with the Flash? But that would require painting, MM no likey having to paint a coaster after it's been built.

Well, didn't really feel like reading through that stuff because I'm tired, but glad I was able to still make some kind of notable contribution to this thread.

Oh yeah, nice avatar, but I got bumped to lead too so I still outrank you and get paid more........

Even though I already said it earlier in the thread...I'll go ahead and say it again: Flashback is only listed as being under "rehab" because it is still in the park, so it needs to have some sort of official reason for being listed as closed. I bet the reason will change to "safety" when Hurricane Harbor opens. I wouldn't count on it ever returning to action.

True, but if it's any kind of consolation, Psyclone has had guys working on the first turn after the drop the last week or so replacing boards and stuff, but I think Deja may have been put on the back burner for right now.

Tear it down! Tear it down! Please tear it down and replace it with a spinning coaster! Just burn it! Its so bad that scrap metal is too good for it!

It sucks that much!