TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flashback at SFMM Re-Opening???

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has FLASHBACK been closed?

When I visited SFMM back in 2000 I thought I saw it operating but I didn't get a chance to ride it. Now that I look back I wish I would have rode it instead of riding the other coasters over and over again. At least I can say that I have been on all the current coaster at SFMM except FLASHBACK.

I don't know if you can really call FLASHBACK a current coaster!

If SFMM isn't going to run it, they should take it down. If they are going to reopen it, they should move it elsewhere within the park.

Leaving a coaster SBNO---especially right out in front of the park---doesn't make any sense.

Eric

^ Well, maybe they're gonna go for it, and get things up and running that should be running, as well as Tatsu.

Never know with new power running the ship....

(EDIT: Then again, most of you -above here- live a lot closer to it all, than I do, lol.)

thats why there is the sign that says "we are building for your future enjoyment

That's not necessarily true. When Sierra Twist went thru rehab earlier last year, I remember that all it had was a "Sorry, this attraction is closed" banner across the entrance. But then again, we're talking a flat ride versus a coaster rehab, so...

It seems like there have been quite a few Flashback threads lately and I'll just say it again, it really doesn't look like Flashback is going to freaking open anytime soon, IMHO.

-amanda

Please tear it down!!!! It did nothing exept give you a headache! Please turn it into scrap metal!!!!!! It hurt like hell when I rode in 2003!! And it would be the same if it opened!

Kevin"Really thinks a spinning coaster should go there"Bujold

Honestly... is Flashback that bad of a headbanger? I really don't know, since I haven't ridden it yet. My husband rode it back when it opened and to him, it's just "not that much". Is Flashback really that painful nowadays that we must bash it constantly?

I mean, if they decide to open it in the near future, cool beans. If they don't, hey, SFMM is home of the world's most awesome lawn ornament. I know it's torture to have a coaster sitting there that you can't ride, but hey, it's ultimately up to the park whether we can ride it or not, yeah?

-amanda

Honestly... is Flashback that bad of a headbanger? I really don't know, since I haven't ridden it yet. My husband rode it back when it opened and to him, it's just "not that much". Is Flashback really that painful nowadays that we must bash it constantly?

I mean, if they decide to open it in the near future, cool beans. If they don't, hey, SFMM is home of the world's most awesome lawn ornament. I know it's torture to have a coaster sitting there that you can't ride, but hey, it's ultimately up to the park whether we can ride it or not, yeah?

-amanda

No. To be perfectly frank, it has a much worse reputation than it deserves. I'm surprised that coaster enthusiasts can actually not like this ride. The hairpin turns are completely unique, and a totally different experience from any other coasters. I can understand the GP not enjoying the ride, they don't ride them as a hobby and therefore probably don't know how to practice Defensive Riding, to compensate for the flaws in the ride [The OTSRS and the fact that they feel like they're made of concrete.] If you can deal with Vekoma OTSRs, you can handle Flashback. I just don't get the lack of appreciation for what was a very intense, unique, and thrilling ride [With a kick-ass helix.] Of course, the Hurricane Harbor excuse is completely valid, but seeing as I find Hurricane Harbor to be a useless waste of space, my opinion is "Eff that, open Flashback."

Of course I know it'll never happen. [/sigh]

I've been holding that in for a long time. Hah.

^Amen, brother!

I don't agree with all the Flashback bashing, but my ex-wife didn't care for it. I only ever rode in the front row, and always on an edge though, so maybe it was rougher in the back? I do tend to ride coasters defensively, but I never found this one as rough as Viper.

I hope they open it, as the space is pretty useless for anything except a mouse or a flat. Maybe a Screaming Squirrel?

I've heard from a bunch of places that the main reason why the coaster has been closed is not for low-ridership, complaints of roughness, or anything else of that matter. It was the trains that were considered out-dated and unsafe. I dunno if it would take three years to get new trains, but I think that is what they wanted, and what they are waiting for. Maybe they want it to run quietly too, because of hurricane Harbour next door, so it can actually run in the summer (But I think the screams would confuse them whether it's a swimmer or the ride).

I rode it myself, and the restraints were HORRIBLE. The worst ever. I only had one headbanger on the entire ride though. It was after going down the 2nd hairpin dive, and when you head up that really fast S-Curve. Other than that I thought it was enjoyable. I thought everything after the 2nd to last hairpin was fun becasue it wasn't braked at all so it picked up some speed and pulled some g's in the helix. I'd say open it again, but with lapbars.

I was one of those insane kids who couldnt get enough of Flashback. I think it was look of it. The flashing strobes, the loud noise, the boxy, but furturistic trains. Of course it quickly went downhill, but I loved it.

The only part that I thought was truly rediculously uncomfortable was the wierd drop after the first hairpin curve. You dived down to the right, but then immediately went up to the left. It did it all in such a small amount of track. It was that abrupt change of direction that really hurt.

Here's a picture from RCDB.

flashback5.thumb.jpg.19a438742ec8f9d0b5bd713d3766abaa.jpg

The train in the middle of this painful manuever.

I loved Flashback when I rode it years ago at SFMM. I must have ridden 20 times that day cuz there was no line and I thought it incredibly fun. I sent our buddy Robb a message asking him to post a POV of Flashback, but never heard back from him. Hopefully he might read this and post one. Come on, we just got a POV of Windjammer, WHERE'S MY FLASHBACK POV!!!!