TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

rcdb strangeness -- re: dual track coasters

I don't understand at all how rcdb decides what to call a single coaster and what to call two separate coasters.

Most of the entries are listed as one entry with two "sub-entries", if you will, on each page. Dueling Dragons, Gwazi, Space Mountain, and Superman: The Escape are some examples of this. It doesn't seem to matter whether the coasters are two distinct designs, are identical, or mirror each other.

Yet for some reason I can't figure out, Primeval Whirl has two separate entries.

Why?

They are exactly the same coaster, have the same station structure, and have separate loading platforms -- pretty much the same as Space Mountain, I would say. Yet one has two separate entries and one does not.

Meanwhile, coasters like Gwazi and Dueling Dragons -- both featuring two distinctly different layouts -- are considered the same.

Is there some reason for Primeval Whirl to get special treatment?

(yeah, this topic doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. so what?)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From RCDB:

"Primeval Whirl is really two distinct roller coaster placed side by side. Since they are completely independent of each other two entries exist in the database."

I've ridden both sides of Space Mountain but didn't pay enough attention to just how the two layouts are set up or connected in any way. I can definitely see though how you could consider Primevil Whirl two coasters though. It would be no different then if any park had two wild mouse rides sitting next to each other in a field. They are two distinct coasters and all they share is a name and a queue area. That's it.

• 1 year later...
^ I noticed that I was getting tired of looking at those pictures.

Would you please enlighten us on what we were supposed to see?

The pictures where of the same coaster, RCDB claims there are 2 coasters, but none of the pictures show two coasters in them, they are all the same pictures!

Man, this is an old thread.

Why the revival exactly?

I got bored, so I started looking at threads from the back pages

^Well, that was fairly obvious. I thought you were gonna spring some cryptic information on us or something. I did find it odd that they couldn't get two different pics to back up they're position though. Oh well, time to put this thread to rest.

Scott "A coaster which goes by one name is ONE coaster" B.