TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which game is more realistic - RCT2 or RCT3 ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how everyone who says RCT2 has nothing to back it up with? The simple truth is that RCT3 is way more realistic, but the reason some people want RCT2 is because they feel its more 'down-to-earth' and 'homey'. Catch my drift? However, to specifically answer your question, RCT3 is way more realistic, and thats not my opinion, its fact.

Well...first of all, neither of the games are very realistic, they are more like caricatures of real theme parks. They are made so that anybody can play without requiring that we have knowledge on the true physics of building roller coasters or business ethics of running a theme park. That's why we have No Limits, it's a simulator, not a game.

Both games have their pros and cons, but I'm going to have to agree with CR_RULES. RCT3 is more realistic, and RCT2 gives you more control.

I enjoy RCT2 much more than RCT3. 2 can be realistic, but most people have already moved on to 3. I own both RCT 2 and 3 (along with 1), but I find myself playing RCT2 much more just because things feel more realistic to me in that game. RCT3 feels so...cartoony. Sure theres detail and such in RCT3, but it feels like another Sim Themepark or Sim Rollercoaster to me. RCT2 just had something RCT3 doesnt have.

If you wish for a proof, here it is:

The RCT2 coasters actually look curved, while RCT3 is composed of straight segments. The RCT2 peep is more realistic, because he is never seen up close and therefore can be imagined to be realistic. RCT2 has a feature that allows you to track the coaster speed as it is traveling, and I have yet to see anything that useful in 3. Furthermore, the coasters in 3 lose momentum too fast. The custom scenery in 2 is better, and the colors are more realistic. The flats in 3 are better, but the RCT2 coasters, in my opinion, are better than the coasters in 3.

Notice how everyone who says RCT2 has nothing to back it up with? The simple truth is that RCT3 is way more realistic, but the reason some people want RCT2 is because they feel its more 'down-to-earth' and 'homey'. Catch my drift? However, to specifically answer your question, RCT3 is way more realistic, and thats not my opinion, its fact.

I did notice that. I also noticed YOU did not back up your statement.

I did notice that. I also noticed YOU did not back up your statement.

Well, that's because I didnt have to. It is simple fact that RCT3 is more realistic. RCT3 is in 3D. Im not saying that RCT2 is a bad game, OR that RCT3 doesnt look cartoony. I am simply saying that there is NO WAY RCT2 is more realistic. To tell the truth, I kind of wish I had RCT2, because of how much lagg and space RCT3 takes up. But if you are looking for realism, RCT3 is better because the detail is better on everything (when you have all detail things all the way up). Heck, I even thought that a screen taken from RCT3 was real for a second, could you ever think that with RCT2?

Ok first off...

There is no way anyone can tell how realistic RCT2 is because well honestly we can't really imagine our world in 2d with any degree of realism. The heights and such are really just faked to start with. Also RCT2 uses a ton of shortcuts that were present in RCT1 to simplify calculations... RCT3 isn't realistic but it does do a lot more to make things more realistic.

Oh and to the person saying that RCT2s tracks are perfect curves... Well when you can use an almost infinite number of polygons you can do that... RCT3 has to render in real time so they have to make compromises on the detail of the objects in the world...

i love both of the games. i like roller coaster tycoon 2's graphics better. i also like how it doesn't lag as much. but i like all the features to 3. i do think that 2 is more realistic just because it doesn't lag and the fact that it is 10 times harder to make a good roller coaster on 2 than it is 3. but i do like 3 a whole lot better.

Ok first off...

There is no way anyone can tell how realistic RCT2 is because well honestly we can't really imagine our world in 2d with any degree of realism. The heights and such are really just faked to start with. Also RCT2 uses a ton of shortcuts that were present in RCT1 to simplify calculations... RCT3 isn't realistic but it does do a lot more to make things more realistic.

Oh and to the person saying that RCT2s tracks are perfect curves... Well when you can use an almost infinite number of polygons you can do that... RCT3 has to render in real time so they have to make compromises on the detail of the objects in the world...

Whats the point of having a realistic game like RCT3 if its just going to take up space and lag all the time then?

I will have to say, RCT3 seems sort of poorly made. Even on my high end computer this game still has problems. Im able to run new high end FPS games at high settings fine, but when I play(ed) RCT3, I had to drop it to like low just to discourage the thing from freaking out. And dont tell me that RCT3 is somehow more advanced than some of these FPS games, because they are not.

I actually found RCT3 a little dissapointing. They told us all this stuff about how great it was going to be. I bought it, and.....Blech. Cartoony graphics, lagging, horrible load times, choppy framerates. These problems alone led me back to RCT2. But to each their own opinions.

And you cant imagine realism in our world if it was 2D? Wow.... If you lack the imagination to do that..just...wow.

I will have to say, RCT3 seems sort of poorly made. Even on my high end computer this game still has problems. Im able to run new high end FPS games at high settings fine, but when I play(ed) RCT3, I had to drop it to like low just to discourage the thing from freaking out. And dont tell me that RCT3 is somehow more advanced than some of these FPS games, because they are not.

I actually found RCT3 a little dissapointing. They told us all this stuff about how great it was going to be. I bought it, and.....Blech. Cartoony graphics, lagging, horrible load times, choppy framerates. These problems alone led me back to RCT2. But to each their own opinions.

And you cant imagine realism in our world if it was 2D? Wow.... If you lack the imagination to do that..just...wow.

Honestly it doesn't matter that it isn't doing anything more advanced than FPSs. It is doing TONS more than almost any FPS ever does. How many enemies do you have on any one screen in an FPS? Usually tops out around 10-15 and that is typically pretty chuggy with high detail and the like. Well RCT3 is trying to model hundreds to thousands of little people while also doing calculations of the paths of tons of rides and attractions. While doing that it has to remain responsive to what you are doing with the GUI and stay semi attractive.

Seriously why is it that people always try to compare the performance of FPSs with everything else? FPSs don't have to do much thinking at all. They get to put almost all the power of the computer into generating those graphics. Of course an FPS is going to look better...

I really like 1 and 2 over 3 because in 1 and 2 options were windowed. Also, the ease of the programs were much better then in 3. Although i do like the flats and water slides in 3, it just doesnt seem right. Also, I get bored more often in 3 then I do in 2. In 3 my parks get so big that its like, "now what"? You know, i mean in 1 and 2, it felt more like a running a park. And the scenerios were cool in the fact that you could pick between 6 or 7 parks. Also, in 2 it seemed more bright when you were building the park. In three, it seems so dark and cartoonish. Not to mention that riding a ride is pointless when its night time because of the lagging. Also, the trainers and track hacking that you could do in RCT 1 and 2 is not comparable to RCT3.

Sure rct3 may be more realistic, but RCT2 had something special to it that RCT3 can not compare to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say roller coaster tycoon 1 is more realistic, in my opinion. don't get me wrong, I like them all, but I really prefer the first one over 2 and 3. Keep in mind that I'm comparing the three games with the expansions

First one: Corkscrew Follies and Loopy Landscapes. They have more realistic scenarios to mess around with. There are some glaring problems, such as not being able to see your coaster when you place it, but the add ons are more realistic

Second one: Wacky Worlds and Time Twisters. It's okay that you can build a park in a different country, but then we get to time twisters. A theme park in the medieval days? come on.. that's just so unrealistic.

Third one: Soaked and Wild. All I can say is I was so hyped to play this and it turns out it chugs when you get large parks :-/ Soaked is a GREAT idea for a expansion, but wild? I don't really care much for building a zoo. It reminds me of the old Sim Theme Park game back in the DOS days, and to me that's a good thing. but the horrndous load times and the sound of my computer grinding away trying to load, not to mention when i'm riding a coaster it'll just freeze for a few seconds at a critical time, and ruin the experience, has shooed me away back to roller coaster tycoon 2. maybe I should get a 64 bit processor and 2 gigs of ram, maybe that'll help?

• 1 month later...