TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Emo's guide to taking good POV's!

Before I get into anything I cannot stress enough ASK A RIDE OP!!!!!!

well you dont HAVE to. But if you dont want to get kicked out I would.

K here is a list of tips I have gathered from watching many POV's. Some good, Some bad.. If you follow these tips chances are you will have a good POV.

1. make sure your camera is correctly strapped to your hands at all times. Keep a firm grip on the base of the camera and try to keep it as steady as possible. Maybey think about using tape.

2. Use the car as support. If there is somthing you can press the camera on it will be smoother. Arrow trains are perfect for this. Simply press the camera against the front of the car and keep a good grip.

3. Try to sit as close to the front as possible. The front is ideal for taking good POV's . Inverts are a good example as there is always somthing blocking your view.

4. You cant control the volume on the train but try to keep your part of the car quiet. Uneeded sound takes away from a good POV

5. Try to ride in good lighting. Between 4:00 and 6:00 is the best time to film. If you film early in the day pasrts of the video will be bleached by the sun. And at night it is almost immpossible to see.

6. Keep fingers and hands away from the lens. You could have a really good POV and it could be ruined by that lingering index finger in the corner. It bugs people and makes your video seem annoying

7. Try to use a VIDEO camera. If you use the video feature on your digi cam the video will most likely come out very pixleated and choppy. It seems mediocre .

There you have it A short little guide to taking good POV's!

Feel free to comment and leave your own tips. Spelling is not great. I am typeing in the dark and I am tired

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, not that I'm going to tell someone how to film, but I think you're completely wrong on a couple of points:

2. Use the car as support. If there is somthing you can press the camera on it will be smoother. Arrow trains are perfect for this. Simply press the camera against the front of the car and keep a good grip.

Don't EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, DO THIS!

At least not IMO.

Unless of course you want ALL the vibration absobed by the train to go directly into your camera and have fairly shakey video, DO NOT do this!!!!

If you can properly "mount" your camera to a train, that's one thing. But your body/hands/whatever will most likely NOT be secure enough to hold your camera still while it's pressed up against the train.

Your best bet it to have a firm grip, hold your camera in a comfortable position, and keep your camera AWAY from the train.

You also will NOT be holding your camera properly if you do this and if you don't know the forces a ride can create you will most likely LOSE YOUR CAMERA!

Again, do NOT EVER DO THIS!!!! This is really, REALLY bad advice!!!!!

5. Try to ride in good lighting. Between 4:00 and 6:00 is the best time to film. If you film early in the day pasrts of the video will be bleached by the sun. And at night it is almost immpossible to see.

I have filmed during all hours of the day and not had a problem. If you're getting bleach marks in your film, your camera most likely sucks.

Spelling is not great. I am typeing in the dark and I am tired

Seriously, though. The best advice I can offer in regards to taking POVs is to create your OWN technique by trial and error. There is no "right or wrong" way to do it, really.

--Robb "And be sure to get the parks permission before you film!" Alvey

I have something to add as well....

Turn OFF your AUTO-FOCUS especially when using a wide angle lens.

I have botched many a good POVs by leaving auto-focus on

(the camera gets confused by all the "action" it is capturing and tries to pick a single object to focus on...usually it always goes blurry when you aim towards the sky.)

Also my POV cam is built for onrides cause it is easy to hold with 2 hands and easily stays in your wastepack while filming. (that is why I bought it)

I have to agree with Robb on the holding the camera against the car...most likely you will beat the Sit out the camera and break it.

JEFF

11-viewCam-big.jpg.c295879a210b4b4be53129c8ec8dbc8d.jpg

Hmm, I took that Supersonic Odyssey POV with a digital camera in movie mode. Did you think it came out bad or heavily pixelated? Robb know the one huge mistake I made, but he was nice enough to fix it for me.

Thanks for turning my video right side up, Robb!

Can anyone tell me how to reduce the size of my videos to fit within the 30MB limit in the Videographers thread?

(That Q could have been posted in so many places!)

Can anyone tell me how to reduce the size of my videos to fit within the 30MB limit in the Videographers thread?

reduce the bitrate..in windows media format. I can get about 4min and 10 seconds on a 1000 kb per second...512kbs..8min 20 seconds and so on

sorry I cannot help you with any compression stuff...I just use WMM

I thought your supersonic POV was good.

JEFF

^ So you're posting ideas that you've never even tried as advice to other people?

IMO, this entire thread is pretty much pointless if the initial advice given doesn't even come from personal practice.

--Robb "Thread closed." Alvey