TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why do Americans sue for EVERYTHING?!

MWkc

My American Studies teacher was telling us about Americas obsesion for liabilty cases and because of that alot of things you cant do anymore.

So have you sued anyone or been sued?

Ps, this isnt an american hate thread and i'm trying not to start any arguements

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THATS IT! YOUR SUED!!!!

just kidding, actually for most people, they perfer not to sue, but also thier are times when you kinda have to sue, for example when the moron that hits you has some craptacular insurance

were still waiting for $$$ from a Dec 14th car crash, we covered it with OUR insurance.

we have not sued ..... yet

urge to kill rising ...... rising...... rising

Hey MWkc, if I'm driving down the Highway at 80 miles per hour, while talking on my Cel Phone, and listening to my XM Radio, and entering important information into my BlackBerry, while eating my McDonalds Egg McMuffin, and then without warning my Starbucks coffee cup lid located between my legs happens to "Pop Off" and Burn me, well then obviously that's Starbucks fault!!!

So I will sue Starbucks to be financially compensated for the injuries I received due to their extreme negligence! My attorney will show in court how the Starbucks Cup and Lid design was poorly engineered, and of course how the coffee itself was hot enough to sustain serious injuries. I think that a nice six figure settlement will suffice for the pain and suffering I received.

That is totally ridiculous! I once saw a funny cartoon stripe on a magazine here, there was a guy who bought a cup of american coffee and was pointing out to the other guy that on the cup it was written "Warning! hot containt" and then the other guy said "that's is so that if someone in america burns his lips, he can't sue the coffee company"

...or something like that

Our family has sued the school for not giving us our rights for when I broke my leg. They had no elevators and refused to let me take classes on the first floor. Then we sued the school district and they then let me take my classes in a multi-purpose room all to myself

I was in an accident with a hit and run driver that did not have insurance. He caused a lot of damage to me and my car, so I'm taking him to court, now that we've found him. I'm 19 years old and before this I've never had a lawyer or a lawsuit against anyone. I agree that way too many people sue for wrong reasons though.

When it comes down to it, the typical American's top priority is money...even before family. It's sad but true. A person pulls something stupid and blame the company for their negligence as an easy way to make money. And why are Americans so obsessed with money? Maybe because everything's getting more expensive (like gas prices right now) and they can't afford anything as their job's being a tightwad. That's what I think. Yes there are some law suits that I think are legit such as someone getting injured at work due to an unsafe/neglected work place while on the otherhand, there's the stupid reasons such as people blaring their iPod too loud and blame Apple for their mistake.

Today, I dropped a $250 camera from a KMG Freak Out ride at the Revere Fair. So my lawyer and I are gonna sue Fiesta Shows(the company that runs the fair) and KMG for making the ride filled with so much airtime, that I accidentally dropped my camera.

You're kidding, right??

Most Americans don't end up sueing over pointless debates. Its just what you end up hearing and has become a sterotype among all americans, and the world does love sterotypes. Just because the news doesn't report it when somebody decides not to sue, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

_six

As I handle liablity claims for airports, this topic can't go untouched. Now, I am probably a bit biased but, I'll give you my two cents anyway.

Basically, you have your people that don't ever feel that they're responsible for their own actions. Their own ineptness at being an intelligent human that is congnicant of their surroundings is the root of the problem. They trip over their own feet and, hey, it must be the property owners fault....right?! I mean how could they be so clumsy to fall over their own feet?! That's the first group, clumsy, unintelligent, uneduacated people that don't believe they bare any responsibility for themselves.

The second biggest group, is what we call "professional claimants." They basically make their living off of filing claims against entities so, they don't have to work. Trust me, when you file a liability claim (or any claim) we have the tools to check on you night and day, background checks, police records, claims history, in some cases, we even have the claimants on surveillance. It amazes me how many people think that we don't have any clue.

Both of the groups cause YOUR premiums to go up. It's not the big bad insurance companies trying to screw with you. We have to pay out fraudulant claims, exageratted claims, etc. because even when we take a defendable claim to court, moronic juries are still awarding huge sums. The judicial system is a mockery here.

OK, I'm off my soapbox.

^Amen! I work for an insurance company and coudln't agree more.

If people read their policy info, things would go smoother.

As for living in Ohio, I would not dream of driving with Uninsured/underinsured motorist Bi/pd coverage.

Every time I got hit, they didn't have insurance. I got paid via the UM/UIM and the insurance company went after them. That is called Subrogation.

I always get mad at this kind of statement because it is so stereotypical. Other countries think that just because we are American, everyone sues everyone else. I have news: not all Americans sue. Wow.

But I can see how this is relevant. There are a lot of lawsuits filed in the United States every year. There are a lot of reasons for it. Different situations and different people have different outcomes and different reasons for things.

And no, I have never sued anyone. My parents never have either. Nobody within my immediate family has ever sued. Nobody in my close extended family have ever sued. And none of us have ever been sued.

I actually was in court with my girlfriend because they had a lawsuit against them because of their dog, which if you knew the story and the people that filed it, you would think that it was ludacris, and the judge thought that way too.

But, like, seriously. Like, I mean, it's, like, the 2000's. Shouldn't we, like, be able to, like, sue people and get away with it? I mean, like, this guy looked at me, and I, like, sued him because I, like, didn't, like, like him looking at me....

(Not sarcastic, just a random joke)

Its starting to get out of control here in australia, we cant take ipods/phones or anyting expensive to school because someone sued when a boys phone was stolen.

sory if it was sterotypical but when it comes from a teacher who is presumbaly and expert on stuff that happens in a country you will belive it.

If you live in Indiana, by July 1st you will no longer to file suit against anyone having to do with food. This includes manufacturing, preparing, selling, etc. They actually made a lway stating obese people cannot sue these entities.

Have we gotten this crazy????