TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Transatlantic airline food for the picky eater

USRoadTripper

So I am flying to Spain in May on US Airways. I was hoping to get some reactions from people about what the food is like on these long flights. And I'd really like specifics about what was served, not just if you liked it or not. I am sort of concerned that I'll get on the plane for my 9 hour flight and will be served something I won't eat, and will be uncomforably hungry when I get there.

Elissa, being a fellow picky eater, how do you deal with this? Do you order veggie meals? Kosher meals? Do you just take your own food so as not to risk going without a meal?

-Julie

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bring my own food. I usually eat dinner, then bring some cereal or a muffin for breakfast on the plane. (as well as some snacks!)

Food (even snack and drink selections) has gotten progressively worse on ALL airlines! The only airline food I've eaten recently was Korean Air! They had some awesome rice and beef and broccoli stuff!!

Kids meals are usually the safest 'special' meal to order, but take matters into your own hands and bring your own food!

I can't say about transoceanic flights because I've never taken one, but many airlines are flat out eliminating meal service or charging for it.

Best bet: Eat a good meal in the airport before departing and bring a snack or two aboard.

Eric

I've only flown across the ocean on BA, and there you usually get beef, chicken or pasta, and it usually includes a salad and bread. It was actually pretty good.

I always bring my own food, though, in case they run out of food (it has happened) or if they offer you an upgrade but you won't get a meal (good rule to follow: more leg room kicks an airline meal in the ass any day of the week). Just bring some crackers or some other snack that you like and that way you're prepared.

dt

Whenever I fly (mostly domestic), I pack a veggie friendly lunch. Most of the time its a tofurky sandwich with cheese (im ovo-lacto) and creamy dijon,packed with either carrots or a small bag of chips. I swore off eating airline food after my hawaii trip in 2004, where I got sick in flight.

I've had some appauling food flying to California once. The "dinner" was chicken... Although it could've easily been a lump of fat.

Coming home I bought alot of food from this supermarket and when the meals came round I didn't even bother opening it. I sat there eating a tuna sandwich.

I do advise taking something with you. Generally airline food is dreadfull.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so my thread... I am really picky... and mostly not by choice....

Fly a Non US airline if you want decent food. But whatever you fly, bring something you can get by on if you dont like the meal.

KLM still serves a good meal and free beer to wash it down..

I have 'heard' that you can order a diabetic meal even if you are not diabetic. Apparently this limits the amount of "junk" that ends up on your plate. But you know how reliable [the proverbial] "they" actually are

Jerry

I don't think I've eaten airline food in nearly 10 years. Seriously, not even the peanuts they offer! I'd just have a meal at the airport before you take off and then bring snacks with you on the flight.

--Robb

Everytime I've flown somewhere it has always been a choice of pasta or chicken, and the one time I was upgraded to first class it was a choice between seafood pasta and beef. I never eat airplane food, I'm a very picky eater too, so I'll always bring a few small snacks with me incase I get hungry during the flight. Even if you end up eating the in-flight meal, it doesn't hurt to be prepared with a few snacks anyway.

For my UK flight this June, I am thinking of taking some of my own food onboard.

Are they picky about what kind of sandwiches you make up? Like with meats I mean, or certain vegetables? Or is it, as long as it is a sandwich, they'll let it thru the checkpoint?

I have brought some chocolate & candy bars and a "trail mix" of stuff with me on other flights. Anda couple of bottles of water. That's usually easy to put together for yourself.

Just don't make it too heavy, LOL!

BTW - I usually 'go veggie' now on my euro-flights and so far the food's been fine w/o freaking out about what's "happened" to the chicken/meat/other ... And you usually get served first. But then, you have to either have your own drink with you - or eat w/o until... - they never seem to get to that until they've served everybody. But that's ok.

And Julie? - I'm holding onto a few of them GooGoo Clusters for that flight too, lol.