TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Travel Channel Best of 2006

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's on right now. There's actually a bunch of new footage. It will be on again at 11pm EST

"Best place to ride Go-Karts" - Mt Olympus

"Best steel coaster" - Millennium Force (Magnum for third place, SROS in second")

"Best wooden coaster" - Thunderhead (ahead of Boulder Dash and Shivering Timbers)

"Best waterpark ride" - Master Blaster (again), followed by Zinga and Zoombabwe

"Best theme park shows" - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

"Best water ride" - Black Anaconda, followed by Crush'n' Gusher and Typhoon

"Friendliest and Cleanest Park" - Holiday World

"Best Children's Park" - Legoland

"Top Waterpark" Schlitterbahn (no surprise) followed by Splashin' Safari and Blizzard Beach

"Top Amusement Park" - Cedar Point (of course) followed by IOA and BPB

That 100 foot drop is amazing!
This year's star attraction - Master Blaster
"Oh, of course the corkscrew, there's the corkscrew going up on the way up and the apex, and of course, we're going down. It's just awesome"

I seriously think we should make a "top theme parks" type show. Call it the Donkey awards with categories such as "best food", "best place to get credits", "best place with rodents", "best ghetto park", "best park to make fun of", "best death machine"

Yeah, but you still have a bunch of airhead girls going "Liek, OMG, teh drop is soooooo big!!1" Ugh...

I loathe the cheesyness of making this an "awards show". Brillaint!

Oh, and LMAO, they said this year's new star attraction is Millennium Force! Six years too late, Travel Channel!

God, this has to be the nerdiest post ever...

I would love to know the enthusiast that said Millenium Force had "tons of airtime"

Yeah right! There is no on MF except the first drop. I don't consider that tons.

I was loving on the new footage for some of the parks. A lot I could tell was a little old. But, hey I got my coaster gasm!

^ They just showed a tiny bit of KK.

I thought this show was a bit amusing. From all the GP going "Wow,it's really tall and fast!" and tons of airtime on MF. But TTD and MF are NOT brand spanking new!

I have to disagree that MF is the best steel coaster in America. SROS in SFNE beats it hands down.

Now during Hades segment I saw a little bit of onride footage that looked like it came from here! It was a segment of the tunnel with all the lights on.

I have to say Black Anaconda at Noah's Ark looks really good. The convayor belt system looks like it takes the rafts up faster then a Master Blaster!

I dunno. It was sort of cool, but it would have been much better had they showed a clip or two of some runners up. Also, apparently IJST made it to 3rd place for best new ride Oh well, atleast Hades made 1st

Jared"Wouldve voted Cyclops and PKI Vortex for best coasters if he could"Becker

I only saw a little of this special, but it looked ok. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the amount of special attention that CP still gets from these shows, even though there are even better coasters out there than their own.

And judging from the off-hand comments they've made on the videos, Robb and Elissa would probably go nuts at all the hype they're still pouring onto Schlitterbahn.

I don't know how they chose SFFT as the park with the best live shows. What about Disney/MGM Studios (Lights Motors Action, Indiana Jones, Fantasmic, Millionaire, etc.)?

I think they were looking towards more traditional amusement parks over Disney.

It was a cool show, not that I'm dying to see it again, but a good show.

*Did anyone catch the weird camera angle of TTD? It looked like the train really was going through a corkscrew. Kinda weird.

I think they were looking towards more traditional amusement parks over Disney.

I agree. I think Amusement Business feels like Disney gets enough props from tons of other groups. Disney really is in a class by itself and many other parks could not compete against the megalomaniac Disney.

I was disappointed that not all categories were covered. They probably could have made it a two hour show.

I was disappointed that not all categories were covered. They probably could have made it a two hour show.

they could have, but that would have cut into the time they monopolize for all those shows that involve something in Vegas. Yeesh...if you watched this channel, you'd be convinced that vegas was the ONLY place to visit on earth!

Doug "Tonight on Travel: top 20 cleanest slots in Vegas!" Booth